49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think this has as much to do with ramping him up for the regular as much as resting the other two since they had so many reps in the game and will be taking all the reps on Saturday while Lance will not likely play. 

Lance will start getting all or close to all the reps in practice after the last preseason game. 

I think Jimmy has some motivation to take a cut now for a trade. The longer he waits, the less chance he’s a starter somewhere, and he won’t get signed for as much in a back up role. So if he waits on Cleveland and figures he’ll just wait til he’s released in a couple weeks, then what if they figure out some other option? His starting chances are fading quickly and only way he gets starter money is if he hurries up and gets a deal. 

I realize it’s only a couple weeks ago, but Browns will look elsewhere if they can’t get a deal right away. Otherwise they have to look elsewhere so they’re not left without a QB if someone like Seattle outbids them. 

• Like 1

Not that many care but the NFL top 100 list started to get announced today and two Niners made the list: 

100 - Juice

96 - Jimmie Ward

We all know how good Ward is, but he usually doesn't get the love in these types of lists or for the Pro Bowl. Good to see him make this list though. 

Other Niners that will surely make the list: 

Trent Williams

Nick Bosa

Deebo Samuel

George Kittle

Fred Warner

I think Armstead also has a shot at making the list but he's not a lock like the others are. So worst case, seven Niners in the top 100, and best case there will be eight or possibly nine if they vote for Mooney. 

• Like 1

If Cleveland thinks they can win with Jimmy, they are incentivized to get him in the building ASAP.

If the 49ers want to play hardball, they can tell Cleveland a 4th or 5th rounder flat out isn't going to cut it and hold him until cut-down day.. They've waited this long, why not? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not that many care but the NFL top 100 list started to get announced today and two Niners made the list: 

100 - Juice

96 - Jimmie Ward

We all know how good Ward is, but he usually doesn't get the love in these types of lists or for the Pro Bowl. Good to see him make this list though. 

Other Niners that will surely make the list: 

Trent Williams

Nick Bosa

Deebo Samuel

George Kittle

Fred Warner

I think Armstead also has a shot at making the list but he's not a lock like the others are. So worst case, seven Niners in the top 100, and best case there will be eight or possibly nine if they vote for Mooney. 

who is highest on the list tho?  bosa or williams?  I think that williams will be higher but bosa will prove himself in a higher rating by the end of the year.

1 minute ago, burlow said:

who is highest on the list tho?  bosa or williams?  I think that williams will be higher but bosa will prove himself in a higher rating by the end of the year.

If Drake/Turay/Givens/etc can bring pass rush threat, Bosa is going to be an unholy monster. He was one of the most impactful pass rushers in the NFL previously while seen an absurd amount of double teams for an edge rusher. Part of that is only rushing 4 most of the time. But still. Bosa murders one on one blocks. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, burlow said:

I think Trent will be higher

Facing lots of first-teamers on an excellent defense is the best medicine for Lance right now. I compared Lance of 2021 camp to Lance of today (no tape, just recalling from my mind’s eye), and the words that came to mind were “more decisive.” He’s more confident, more sure in the pocket. No wasted motion. The footwork is significantly better.

He made three superb throws, I thought, on Sunday: a lofted corner route to Deebo Samuel, throw right on target…a red zone TD throw, with soft, excellent touch, to tight end Ross Dwelley in the right corner of the end zone. “You stayed in,” the back judge working the practice said to Dwelley, nodding…a three-quarters-motion throw, also for a TD, to tight end George Kittle, who had to stretch to make the catch. The awareness, avoiding the rush by coming down with the arm angle on the throw, was perfect.

That’s the good. I worry a bit about the accuracy. In this practice, he threw high on a 15-yard cross for Brandon Aiyuk, a throw that should be easy. He missed an open Samuel twice, by my count.

Same thing with Lance. On an early handoff to running back Trey Sermon, Lance was supposed to carry out a bootleg fake, so maybe a defender or two would chase him and not Sermon. No. Lance just watched the play develop, and didn’t carry out the fake. Shanahan said: Great, you threw a touchdown pass and we won. But you’ve got to do everything well, not just some things.

There’s a lot to learn in all aspects of the game. Before practice Sunday, Shanahan met with the full team and reviewed the win over Green Bay. What bugged Shanahan was some of the sloppiness, even on big plays. One of the big stars for the Niners was rookie third-round wideout Danny Gray, who caught a 76-yard TD bomb from Lance in the first quarter. “Your game is speed,” Shanahan told him. Yet Gray broke from the line in a bad stance, negating his best asset, and the TD made everyone overlook it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/15/nfl-training-camp-49ers-chiefs-broncos-peter-king-fmia/

• Like 1

For all of the optimism about the defense (almost all of which I think is valid), I think that there's going to be a significant drop in run defense efficiency. This was a truly special run defense group once Arik Armstead moved inside full time alongside DJ Jones and while Armstead should be available fairly soon, I don't think that there's anyone in the building that's coming anywhere close to what DJ Jones provided in early down situations from the 1T. Now, I think the overall defense will be better over the course of the season - there's so much likelihood for improvement on the coverage and overall pass defense end. But I think there are going to be some frustrating run defense grades. 

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

For all of the optimism about the defense (almost all of which I think is valid), I think that there's going to be a significant drop in run defense efficiency. This was a truly special run defense group once Arik Armstead moved inside full time alongside DJ Jones and while Armstead should be available fairly soon, I don't think that there's anyone in the building that's coming anywhere close to what DJ Jones provided in early down situations from the 1T. Now, I think the overall defense will be better over the course of the season - there's so much likelihood for improvement on the coverage and overall pass defense end. But I think there are going to be some frustrating run defense grades. 

I could see Givens stepping up, perhaps. He's shown flashes of being that guy.