Around the League 2022

Bobby816

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I wanted Harbaugh for years, but I can't see JD/Woody letting go of Saleh. We were in the playoff hunt until last week. JH also likes the 34 defense.  So the whole front 7 will have to be adjusted.  I'm not sure if the players would be happy either. 

Yeah the complete changing of scheme would be stupid. I dont love how we coach this scheme at all but it has been proven to work. We just have zero creativity. The extent of our disguising is the occasional stunt. 3-4 or 4-3, a guy like Rex would have this defense way more dominate IMO. 

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah the complete changing of scheme would be stupid. I dont love how we coach this scheme at all but it has been proven to work. We just have zero creativity. The extent of our disguising is the occasional stunt. 3-4 or 4-3, a guy like Rex would have this defense way more dominate IMO. 

I'm a fan of the 3-4. 

It comes down to how it's coached and the GM getting the right players. Towards the end of Rex era, the problem was the talent we were picking on both sides of the ball. After vets, we were stuck with the busted draft picks like Pryor, Milliner, and Couples. That defense fell apart. 

For the current roster, we just need 2 safeties, an upgraded LB, and a NT. We can potentially have our own Legion Of Boom if we do this right. 

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

A Free Safety and a Rangy Linebacker are must haves for the defense. Every other upgrade would be marginal or depth. 

Strong safety too. Whitehead is horrible, a missed tackle machine and can't cover. We need both safeties. 

7 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Strong safety too. Whitehead is horrible, a missed tackle machine and can't cover. We need both safeties. 

On the surface I agree. But if he has anyone worth a damn that can cover next to him, would he not be better and the TB version we signed?

• Like 1

3-4 vs 4-3 is complete nonsense. A good co-ordinator can work with multiple fronts and apply pressure at the right times. Rex lined up in lots of ways while nominally being a 3-4 guy. Many of our players would cope well in a 3-4 anyway, we'd just need to get a really good NT and OLB.

15 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

A Free Safety and a Rangy Linebacker are must haves for the defense. Every other upgrade would be marginal or depth. 

My pipe dream scenario is trade down for a haul, grab an OT late 1st for insurance, then with our multiple Day 2 picks grab a combo of JL Skinner, Christopher Smith and whatever rangy LB falls.

Too bad we don't have a reliable OL otherwise I'd be on the Trenton Simpson plus Safety bandwagon.

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Jaret Goff should be NFL comeback player of the year. He was the first overall pick in the 2016 draft. The Rams traded him to the Lions, and he has been on a tear since he got to the motor city.

Yeah I thought he was done last year but fair play to him for getting back after it. Especially seeing the Rams win the Super Bowl with Stafford at qb.