Death Valley is at 98 percent humidity according to NOAA

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

K.

I was kind of in a weird state of mind this morning..... I posted a thing of Death Valley's unusually high humidity this morning and a guy was like "it is the morning time" yet he didn't realize it was well not normal and such and I got a bit angry. Oh they are under a massive flood too rn. Strange. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Couldn’t you actually suffocate being in humidity like that? That’s a LOT of fluid entering your lungs at a time.

12 hours ago, Dome said:

I have no idea.

No. 

The amount of moisture suspended in air even during 100% humidity is very very small. If it were enough moisture to become actual liquid water, it would do so and fall to the ground as rain. Sure, you could probably take every water vapor molecule in the air and condense it into enough water to drown yourself, but that’s simply not going to happen while breathing. It’s similar to how you see your breath in the cold - you’re exhaling water droplets - but you’re at no risk of dehydrating yourself by doing so. You’ve almost certainly experienced 100% relative humidity yourself in the form of fog and I highly doubt you worried about suffocating. 

However, it is also true that air with 100% humidity has less oxygen than air with less humidity, therefore it is common for people to have some difficulties breathing if performing rigorous activity or if their respiratory system is already compromised. 

The largest dangers with high humidity levels are ones associated with heat, as it essentially compromises your entire cooling system with sweat being unable to evaporate properly. 

• Like 5

This case has always fascinated me because it shows how remote some parts of Death Valley are…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_Germans

people knew this family went missing and knew where they had left their vehicle… and even with media coverage and mass search efforts it still took 15 years to find their remains just 8 miles away in wide open desert  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:11 AM, Whicker said:

No. 

The amount of moisture suspended in air even during 100% humidity is very very small. If it were enough moisture to become actual liquid water, it would do so and fall to the ground as rain. Sure, you could probably take every water vapor molecule in the air and condense it into enough water to drown yourself, but that’s simply not going to happen while breathing. It’s similar to how you see your breath in the cold - you’re exhaling water droplets - but you’re at no risk of dehydrating yourself by doing so. You’ve almost certainly experienced 100% relative humidity yourself in the form of fog and I highly doubt you worried about suffocating. 

However, it is also true that air with 100% humidity has less oxygen than air with less humidity, therefore it is common for people to have some difficulties breathing if performing rigorous activity or if their respiratory system is already compromised. 

The largest dangers with high humidity levels are ones associated with heat, as it essentially compromises your entire cooling system with sweat being unable to evaporate properly. 

My bulb got wet just reading this