Bills bench Tyrod Taylor for rookie qb Nathan Peterman

LinderFournette

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

When comparing talent levels? I think it’s pretty fair. Especially when he’s only a year removed. 

But okay guy. 

So what does this move say about the Bills entrusting the rest of their season to a less than year removed 5th round pick? What kind of terrible talent level are we talking about here?

12 minutes ago, iPwn said:

So what does this move say about the Bills entrusting the rest of their season to a less than year removed 5th round pick? What kind of terrible talent level are we talking about here?

Tbh I think it has a lot to do with Tyrod holding the ball for far too long and taking too many sacks, when Peterman is known for his quick release. We will see though. I’m not even on the Peterman bandwagon, I’m just not a Tyrod fan.

12 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Granted, but Tyrod's hands have been tied this year with the lack of serviceable receivers. Frankly, I'm not entirely sure any QB could've posted many yards in that situation. And to subject a rookie to it... I think you're going to see more turnovers than anything... but we'll see.

And yet these piss poor receivers can catch balls thrown by Peterman in the Pre-Season, in practice, and in a blow out regular season game. Maybe your logic is faulty. I think I'll trust our coaches who see everything both of these 2 QB's do in practice and in live games.

Further, I guarantee you will see more turnovers with Peterman at QB. He tries to anticipate and pulls the trigger. Tyrod holds onto the ball until he can see a 3-4 yard cushion around his target. Yes, it keeps him from throwing INT's, but it also keeps our receivers from getting opportunities to make plays and leads to far too many games with sub-200 yard passing yards, which is precisely why the Saints tried to contain Tyrod and make him play like a pocket QB...for a whopping 50-something yards. Seemed like an effective strategy, no?

12 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

And yet these piss poor receivers can catch balls thrown by Peterman in the Pre-Season, in practice, and in a blow out regular season game. Maybe your logic is faulty. I think I'll trust our coaches who see everything both of these 2 QB's do in practice and in live games.

Further, I guarantee you will see more turnovers with Peterman at QB. He tries to anticipate and pulls the trigger. Tyrod holds onto the ball until he can see a 3-4 yard cushion around his target. Yes, it keeps him from throwing INT's, but it also keeps our receivers from getting opportunities to make plays and leads to far too many games with sub-200 yard passing yards, which is precisely why the Saints tried to contain Tyrod and make him play like a pocket QB...for a whopping 50-something yards. Seemed like an effective strategy, no?

You're not serious right? Please say you aren't serious. I really, really, really want to believe you aren't hyped based solely on play from preseason, alleged play from practice, or garbage time.

Listen, I get it. Peterman is largely an an unknown and it's only natural as a fan to be optimistic - Tyrod was perhaps too careful but I don't think he was dealt a particularly good hand this season. Frankly, I think the Bills' success rested mainly with its defense and running game, and would thrive if and only if they limited turnovers. Granted, LeSean McCoy seems to have lost a step this season but I don't think Tyrod played particuarly badly with the hand he was dealt. I definitely think you will see more passing yards with Peterman - but I also think the turnovers will not be worth it. Tyrod was conditioned to play as he did becuase the Bills simply don't have much speed at receiver, making throwing with anticipation difficult, and often costly.

Brett Hundley hands-down has looked like a star in preseason.  For multiple years. That should tell everyone how much preseason counts vs. reg. season.   Vanilla D's, not blitzing, not showing exotic schemes.   Peterman may work out, but to project preseason success to regular season isn't a stretch...it's a pipe dream.  The Chargers D will likely rightfully be DFS' most highly owned D this week.  The sharks smell blood in the water here.

Taylor may not be the Bills' long-term solution.  He also wasn't the Bills' problem either.

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

You're not serious right? Please say you aren't serious. I really, really, really want to believe you aren't optimistic based solely on play from preseason, alleged play from practice, or garbage time.

Serious about what? Do I think Peterman is the next Brady? Of course not. Do I think he is capable of making defenses respect our passing attack more than they currently do with Taylor under center? I'd say, that given the coaches who actually have a real feel for what each QB can do (as opposed to the speculation you or I can provide) believe this move is worth trying, that the answer is "Most likely." The only access I have is that I watch all the Bills games. That hardly qualifies me as an expert, but I can honestly say that IMHO Tyrod is the best back-up QB in the league, but we need to find an effective starter. Our D bleeds too many yards to give us a real shot at making the playoffs with an ultra-conservative game manager like Taylor. I am serious in believing we are not throwing in the towel, but actually desperately trying to remain in the hunt.

1 minute ago, Yibbyl said:

Serious about what? Do I think Peterman is the next Brady? Of course not. Do I think he is capable of making defenses respect our passing attack more than they currently do with Taylor under center? I'd say, that given the coaches who actually have a real feel for what each QB can do (as opposed to the speculation you or I can provide) believe this move is worth trying, that the answer is "Most likely." The only access I have is that I watch all the Bills games. That hardly qualifies me as an expert, but I can honestly say that IMHO Tyrod is the best back-up QB in the league, but we need to find an effective starter. Our D bleeds too many yards to give us a real shot at making the playoffs with an ultra-conservative game manager like Taylor. I am serious in believing we are not throwing in the towel, but actually desperately trying to remain in the hunt.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

8 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

Not according to his tape at Pitt. Peterman displayed the same anticipation issues that you are discrediting Taylor for.

He played in a run heavy offense with minimal QB requirements which functioned on short drop steps with quick one read passing progressions. He struggled in the pre-snap phase (though most collegiate QBs do), switching sides of the field, and lacks arm strength for the deep and out-breaking routes as well. His biggest strength was the middle of the field in the short to intermediate range but that will be the first thing that opposing DC will look to defend in an attempt to force him into making the longer throws to the sidelines. I'd imagine we'll see a decent amount of quick slants, digs, rollouts, and bootlegs to compensate for those weaknesses of his.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I've seen those memes before. It doesn't negate the value of an expert opinion. Instead of speaking as if I know all, like many tend to do, I can admit I am limited by the information I have. It's probably confusing overall in our society, because it's being honest. Is there a meme for that, too?

Getting back on topic, I fully believe our staff wants to win, as any real competitor would. I wish it wasn't the case, but my Bills are a team with a lot of holes in it. Our D is still overrated by many for some strange reason, but we have given up yardage all season long. When we were getting timely turnovers, we were still in games and winning many of those. Our offense is not able to score quickly and we need to realistically be able to do that to compensate for our weak D if we are to have any chance of making the playoffs. QB's who for some reason are unwilling to let their teammates make plays hurt our ability to score points when we need to. This is who Tyrod is. Peterman has shown a willingness to take more chances in the passing game, so it makes sense to give him a shot. And I still think that our coaches know this even more than I do.

Later.

1 hour ago, Yibbyl said:

I'd say, that given the coaches who actually have a real feel for what each QB can do (as opposed to the speculation you or I can provide) believe this move is worth trying, that the answer is "Most likely." The only access I have is that I watch all the Bills games. 

Johnny Manziel was a good draft pick because professional scouts and a professional front office made the pick.

Can someone explain to me why people are using preseason performance to hype up Peterman? I won't pretend to have heavily watched the Bills preseason games, but nothing about his preseason stats looks good. 54.4% completion, 5.7 YPA, 1 TD on 79 passes, no INTs, but 3 fumbles. If Peterman's preseason performance does project to the regular season, you are starting a terrible QB.

Archived