Broncos sign LB Joe Schobert; Released

RaidersAreOne

On 8/15/2022 at 7:03 PM, NudeTayne said:

Haven't posted in another thread before but I have an idea what happened to him after leaving CLE. He was never a legit pro bowl level LB for the Browns, and then remained +/- complete trash when he got to JAX. His falloff was neither very weird nor unexpected.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 7:27 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Posted in another thread before but I have no idea what happened to him after leaving CLE. He was a legit pro bowl level LB for the Browns, and then turned into complete trash when he got to JAX. His falloff was very weird and unexpected.

The thing people discovered about him in CLE and the reason he became a Jaguar in the first place, is the key to this whole mystery.  He's not even remotely a downhill LBer who can take on anything.  He'll eventually work his way around things to make a tackle.  But that doesn't necessarily a good LBer make.  That's yards lost every single time.  No matter how many tackles and assists are piled up.  And the "hallmark" of his game being a solid coverage LBer, just really ended up being a farce.  He's one of those "stats darlings" whose deployment in a situation made him look way better than he ever was at that without context.  Capable of a drop in coverage?  Sure.  Coverage ace?  Absolutely not.

So what's your role for a LBer who can't really matchup as a coverage LBer, doesn't really attack downhill?  He's a Weak Side 4-3 LBer.  Emphasis on the weak.  Not actually decisive enough and downhill enough to clean up in that role.  

On 8/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, 43M said:

Nothing against him, but he was abysmal in Pittsburgh last year.

If you have a decent DLine in front of him, he might work out okay as a stop gap....but pairing him with the equally awful Devin Bush with 2 mediocre backup DLineman in front did not work out at all.

Which is why i'm wary of Pittsburgh being excited about Myles Jack this year.  Jack is a "rich mans" Schobert.

The only truly good season Jack has had, was in a bizarre situation where he played behind the single most dominant defensive front in the league...in a strange rotating LBer corps.  Where he played basically SAM LBer base in a hybrid front, but reduced down to MLB in obvious passing downs where they didn't want Posluszny on the field.  People moaned endlessly about how Jack wasn't getting enough snaps.  But as soon as Poz left and they gave him those snaps, Myles fell off a cliff.

They're basically the same player.  Myles Jack is just more athletically dynamic doing the same thing.

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The thing people discovered about him in CLE and the reason he became a Jaguar in the first place, is the key to this whole mystery.  He's not even remotely a downhill LBer who can take on anything.  He'll eventually work his way around things to make a tackle.  But that doesn't necessarily a good LBer make.  That's yards lost every single time.  No matter how many tackles and assists are piled up.  And the "hallmark" of his game being a solid coverage LBer, just really ended up being a farce.  He's one of those "stats darlings" whose deployment in a situation made him look way better than he ever was at that without context.  Capable of a drop in coverage?  Sure.  Coverage ace?  Absolutely not.

So what's your role for a LBer who can't really matchup as a coverage LBer, doesn't really attack downhill?  He's a Weak Side 4-3 LBer.  Emphasis on the weak.  Not actually decisive enough and downhill enough to clean up in that role.  

Which is why i'm wary of Pittsburgh being excited about Myles Jack this year.  Jack is a "rich mans" Schobert.

The only truly good season Jack has had, was in a bizarre situation where he played behind the single most dominant defensive front in the league...in a strange rotating LBer corps.  Where he played basically SAM LBer base in a hybrid front, but reduced down to MLB in obvious passing downs where they didn't want Posluszny on the field.  People moaned endlessly about how Jack wasn't getting enough snaps.  But as soon as Poz left and they gave him those snaps, Myles fell off a cliff.

They're basically the same player.  Myles Jack is just more athletically dynamic doing the same thing.

Maybe....but Jack looked great in preseason.   We'll see if that holds up.

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Maybe....but Jack looked great in preseason.   We'll see if that holds up.

Could be.  In the right situation, he actually can be good.  In the right role.  Sheltered in the right way.  Freed up to use his athleticism unencumbered.

Just that in the wrong situation, he'll be really bad...but will look good casually, and on the stat sheet.  So it'll take a while to sink in...that he's always making plays from...behind the play that passed him by.

But let me be clear, for all his shortcomings...he WAS NOT DOWN.

Edited by Tugboat

This Joe Schobert thing is baffling.  The guy has been a playmaker.  I look at message boards, Twitter, and some of  these beat writers try to explain away his stats, and it just doesn’t make sense. 

This is a guy with nearly 700 tackles, 10 interceptions, 11 sacks, 10 forced fumbles, 23 tackles for loss.  It takes most LBs a 12 year career to rack up this many game breaking plays, he’s done it in only five, yet at 28 years old, we’re to believe he can’t even latch on a team as a backup?

the broncos basically chose to roll with Alex Singleton and Josey Jewell, both decent players, but I’d take Schobert over either in a heartbeat.  Then you look at the other teams that decided he wasn’t good enough: Browns, Jags, Steelers... let’s be honest, when Schobert left, none of those teams got better at the position..

There’s got to be more to this than just ‘oh, he’s not aggressive enough’ ....‘he’s not fast enough’... ‘he can’t cover’.  ...as though he piled up double digit sacks, INTs, and FFs by accident.

12 minutes ago, frenchie said:

This Joe Schobert thing is baffling.  The guy has been a playmaker.  I look at message boards, Twitter, and some of  these beat writers try to explain away his stats, and it just doesn’t make sense. 

This is a guy with nearly 700 tackles, 10 interceptions, 11 sacks, 10 forced fumbles, 23 tackles for loss.  It takes most LBs a 12 year career to rack up this many game breaking plays, he’s done it in only five, yet at 28 years old, we’re to believe he can’t even latch on a team as a backup?

the broncos basically chose to roll with Alex Singleton and Josey Jewell, both decent players, but I’d take Schobert over either in a heartbeat.  Then you look at the other teams that decided he wasn’t good enough: Browns, Jags, Steelers... let’s be honest, when Schobert left, none of those teams got better at the position..

There’s got to be more to this than just ‘oh, he’s not aggressive enough’ ....‘he’s not fast enough’... ‘he can’t cover’.  ...as though he piled up double digit sacks, INTs, and FFs by accident.

Regression can be steep for some players, sadly.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 12:15 PM, frenchie said:

I think scrutinizing that ratio of Total Tackles / Tackles For Loss might highlight some of what isn't super desirable about Schobert.  Like yes, that's a huge and impressive number of tackles, and even the TFL number looks okay on the surface as a "bulk stat".  But when you think about a guy who has been involved in 700 tackles, and only 23 of those were actually behind the LOS?  That's kind of the problem with Schobert in a nutshell.  He's one of those players who is "good on a bad team" but "bad on a good team".  Real "stat compiler" stuff.

That said, he absolutely still is a decent player, and could very much help a lot of teams as a backup/depth LBer.  But i'd wonder if he even really has any interest in playing a backup role at this point in his career.  He's made plenty of money, and who knows how hungry he really is.  He never really played like one of those dogs that gotta eat.  With that crazy intensity.  There's a definite allure to being retired as a multimillionaire before you turn 30.  Especially from a career that takes a serious toll on the body every single day.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 1:11 PM, Tugboat said:

I think scrutinizing that ratio of Total Tackles / Tackles For Loss might highlight some of what isn't super desirable about Schobert.  Like yes, that's a huge and impressive number of tackles, and even the TFL number looks okay on the surface as a "bulk stat".  But when you think about a guy who has been involved in 700 tackles, and only 23 of those were actually behind the LOS?  That's kind of the problem with Schobert in a nutshell.  He's one of those players who is "good on a bad team" but "bad on a good team".  Real "stat compiler" stuff.

That said, he absolutely still is a decent player, and could very much help a lot of teams as a backup/depth LBer.  But i'd wonder if he even really has any interest in playing a backup role at this point in his career.  He's made plenty of money, and who knows how hungry he really is.  He never really played like one of those dogs that gotta eat.  With that crazy intensity.  There's a definite allure to being retired as a multimillionaire before you turn 30.  Especially from a career that takes a serious toll on the body every single day.

Depending on the severity of the injuries to Quay Walker and Krys Barnes, maybe he'll come home.