Preseason Wk 3 GDT: 49ers @ Houston

Forge

Last year halfway through the year, i thought we were done, so i won’t count this team out at all. But these are some of the most gaping positional holes we’ve had since shanny took over. OL is really bad. Safeties are real questionable. interor D-line, though deep, might be really one dimensional..and QB might be a problem beyond Lance too.

not a great game to judge for lance, real middle of the pack. Missed some throws, made some bad decisions but i think he was improvising well and I really like seeing his touch. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, John232 said:

Last year halfway through the year, i thought we were done, so i won’t count this team out at all. But these are some of the most gaping positional holes we’ve had since shanny took over. OL is really bad. Safeties are real questionable. interor D-line, though deep, might be really one dimensional..and QB might be a problem beyond Lance too.

not a great game to judge for lance, real middle of the pack. Missed some throws, made some bad decisions but i think he was improvising well and I really like seeing his touch. 

It's crazy to have a roster that appears so good and so loaded and have such obvious, huge holes that could torpedo a season 

• Like 1

Purdy should be ahead of Sudfeld. 

If Jimmy G is gonna take back up money somewhere, why not take a pay cut to stay in a system you know with a questionable QB, and that questionable QB has only slid once in his entire career so as good a chance as any that he gets hurt. Give the man 10 mil to be a back up. I understand there’s feelings and pride and all, but it does make sense. Locker room will be fine too. They’ve handled this great now and that comes because Lance and Jimmy are both quality people anyway. 

As I put my head on my pillow tonight I will say a little prayer that a couple good o linemen become available at cuts for one reason or another. Cuz we could use like one or maybe four. 

Lance will take some time. Wasn’t impressed today. Tough with that line, but he missed both reads and wasn’t accurate. 

Is it premature to get a Womack jersey? Yeah probably. I should wait to see what number he ends up with after final cuts.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Lance will take some time. Wasn’t impressed today. Tough with that line, but he missed both reads and wasn’t accurate

Get used to that, unfortunately. Going to be a lot of up and down and in his first year, I wouldn't be surprised if it's slanted toward the latter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

Purdy should be ahead of Sudfeld. 

If Jimmy G is gonna take back up money somewhere, why not take a pay cut to stay in a system you know with a questionable QB, and that questionable QB has only slid once in his entire career so as good a chance as any that he gets hurt. Give the man 10 mil to be a back up. I understand there’s feelings and pride and all, but it does make sense. Locker room will be fine too. They’ve handled this great now and that comes because Lance and Jimmy are both quality people anyway. 

Nah. Both sides probably don't want a circus, and it's best to move on. 49ers don't want Jimmy, and Jimmy like all competitors wants to go somewhere that believes him him to be "the guy". He could still get that belief at another place. He won't get that in San Francisco. Once that trade to get Lance happened it was over. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Didn't watch the game, but heard about Lance's bad outing and the offensive line's lackluster performance. That's where Shanahan comes in. Once the gameplanning for opponents actually starts, he'll maximize the strengths of the offense and minimize the weaknesses. Not concerned. Lance will have a looney trigger stocked with some dum dum rockets all season long. Doesn't mean the team can't go places. Injuries as usual will be the bigger menace. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Get used to that, unfortunately. Going to be a lot of up and down and in his first year, I wouldn't be surprised if it's slanted toward the latter

Especially if this line is going to be piss poor.. he didn't stand much of a chance last night

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamq said:

Especially if this line is going to be piss poor.. he didn't stand much of a chance last night

Even when he did have time, he didn't look good imo.

I NEVER read much into pre-season as a general rule of thumb. 

We have enough coaching & personnel talent around Lance to mitigate some of his shortcummings. But I still expect him to struggle quite a bit. The O-Line being a mystery will magnify his flaws until they find their way. 

• Like 2

I missed the game last night, but I just watched most of the first half this morning and wow, WTF was that? 

Everyone looked terrible but somehow, Sermon might've looked the best of the bunch. I will say, it was nice to see Jaylon Moore out there finally, but boy did he look rusty. McKivitz looked like Justin Skule out there. 

Watching the second half now.

This team is going to be a force, even with some of its weaknesses. I don't think you guys realize how much the offense will be running the ball and how that will slow the pass rush down when Shanny is running a bunch of zone reads and play actions. Lance is also good at evading the pressure and moving in the pocket. He has his own issues, specifically with his accuracy and it may be rough at times in the early going, but he will be just fine. Losing Ward for at least four games suck as he is irreplaceable and has a skillset no other safety has on the team. Our corners are going to be absolutely filthy and give opposing receivers major fits and we already know about our backers and DL. If Kinlaw/Armstead are out there, the run defense is not going to be all that big of a problem. Our 2nd and 3rd team DL are mainly pass rushers and light by design but that also means our run defense takes a hit.

This will be a 13-4 or 12-5 ballclub when it is all said and done.

• Like 5