The 2022 Jacoby Brissett Thread

brownie man

How will Jacoby play in general this year?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think Jacoby's will do this year?

• He'll perform better than his career average
    • He'll perform about his career average
    • He'll perform below his career average

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get that, and you’re not wrong, but week 1/2 I’m remembering where my bread is buttered and letting Jacoby and Cooper develop some chemistry for a few weeks.

It’s just another in a never ending line of examples where head coaches outsmart themselves.  Like, if I was running that offense yesterday I’m gonna run that ball until they stop it on multiple drives.  When I do pass it’s largely going to be play action shots down the field just to keep the defense honest. 

I totally get that and I don't disagree, but I'd also say that one of those deep passes resulted in a TD after a DPI penalty (to your point), which we also got throwing the ball on a playaction pass down by the goal line.

I think that IF you are going to be in 4 down territory on that 3rd and 2 drive, you should probably consider a RUN on 3rd down and if it results in a loss of yards you kick your field goal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I totally get that and I don't disagree, but I'd also say that one of those deep passes resulted in a TD after a DPI penalty (to your point), which we also got throwing the ball on a playaction pass down by the goal line.

That TD pass I didn’t mind, I think that’s the exact type of pass Brissett should be throwing lol. The heave to Cooper was a prayer that was late af.  The DB was toasted and made a terrible play on the ball, but it wasn’t a good throw.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think that IF you are going to be in 4 down territory on that 3rd and 2 drive, you should probably consider a RUN on 3rd down and if it results in a loss of yards you kick your field goal.

Yeah Stefanski seems to leave a lot of points on the board going for it on 4th.  When we have Watson and when/if our offense is elite, absolute go for it more, but for now when we’re going to need to win close games, let the rookie get you 3 points.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That TD pass I didn’t mind, I think that’s the exact type of pass Brissett should be throwing lol. The heave to Cooper was a prayer that was late af.  The DB was toasted and made a terrible play on the ball, but it wasn’t a good throw.

I'm hoping that he can just be a little more consistent and hit the layups. I'm not expecting him to be a viable starter, but you have to hit guys who are college open. At least he played turnover free football.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah Stefanski seems to leave a lot of points on the board going for it on 4th.  When we have Watson and when/if our offense is elite, absolute go for it more, but for now when we’re going to need to win close games, let the rookie get you 3 points.

For right or for wrong, that's analytics driven football. Later in the game we converted a 4th and 1 on our own side of the field that led to points. Analytics say in those situations to go for it because even if you only get it 50% of the time, if you get a TD on those drives 7 points is more than 6 with 2 FG. The way our D was playing, it ended up not really hurting us as we got a stop, but yeah points there would have helped.

I'll say this for him though...he stays true to who he is on those decisions and the team expects to go for it and he doesn't hesitate. I personally love that, even when sometimes I'm fan boying it and yelling for him to kick the FG. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm hoping that he can just be a little more consistent and hit the layups. I'm not expecting him to be a viable starter, but you have to hit guys who are college open. At least he played turnover free football.

Agreed, he’s a pro QB and needs to be able to make those throws.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

For right or for wrong, that's analytics driven football. Later in the game we converted a 4th and 1 on our own side of the field that led to points. Analytics say in those situations to go for it because even if you only get it 50% of the time, if you get a TD on those drives 7 points is more than 6 with 2 FG. The way our D was playing, it ended up not really hurting us as we got a stop, but yeah points there would have helped.

I'll say this for him though...he stays true to who he is on those decisions and the team expects to go for it and he doesn't hesitate. I personally love that, even when sometimes I'm fan boying it and yelling for him to kick the FG. 

I get the reasoning, but I think some context needs to be applied to the numbers.  Like, it’s the first game with your backup QB, your number 1 WR, first game of the year, etc.  Take the points early and keep the pressure on Carolina when your defense is smothering them.  Make them stop the run.

When Watson is back and if he gets back to his previous form, Stefanski is gonna look smart af an awful lot (because he his) because he’s gonna gave guys who are talented enough to make the plays he’s expecting them to make. Until then it’s just frustrating at times.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed, he’s a pro QB and needs to be able to make those throws.

I get the reasoning, but I think some context needs to be applied to the numbers.  Like, it’s the first game with your backup QB, your number 1 WR, first game of the year, etc.  Take the points early and keep the pressure on Carolina when your defense is smothering them.  Make them stop the run.

When Watson is back and if he gets back to his previous form, Stefanski is gonna look smart af an awful lot (because he his) because he’s gonna gave guys who are talented enough to make the plays he’s expecting them to make. Until then it’s just frustrating at times.

It's always a fine line between being who you are and understanding the context of things. I think that if it's a matter of going up 2+ possessions he probably kicks it there. I get both sides tbh.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Brissett's performance yesterday was pretty much exactly what I expected (maybe a tad worse...but he did win the game). Hopefully he gets in a groove and slightly improves so we have a fighting chance being near .500 when creepy Deshaun returns.

Yeah you saw why he’s hung around and considered a decent backup, but you also definitely saw why he was available for 1 year 4 million and is viewed strictly as a backup.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Chill 😂 

Jacoby isn’t that good but he’ll be good enough to win games. He doesn’t turn the ball over and that’s what this team needs. 

He was lucky he didn't turn the ball over yesterday. There was probably about three throws he made that very easily could have been intercepted.

15 hours ago, NateDawg said:

We ran it 39x, almost all of which were the two RBs. We aren’t going to be able to go 11 games holding the QBs hand like we did in the past. If we’re going to be successful, they’re going to have to rely on Brissett to provide at least a chunk of the production. He gave us 147 yards on 34 attempts. Think the pass selection could have been better. Think Brissett isn’t good. Also think, as I have the past how many ever years now, we throw a trash unit out there at WR outside of like 1-2 guys. Adding Cooper and losing Landry/OBJ wasn’t enough. 

you just resigned Johnson and drafted another RB. Unless the panthers were completely selling out to stop the run, there isnt a reason to deviate from it. When stefanski actually committed to the run, they couldnt be stopped. 

Absolutely the worst aspect was, out of those 34 passes, only 5 of them were play action passes. He was 1 for 5 on those plays for a whopping 1 yard. Im sorry, if the Browns are destroying the opponent with the run that bad and Jacoby is going to be that bad off the play action, you might want to put dobbs in. He can at least execute the roll out/boot action off the stuff. 

You take out the 3 screen passes, Jacoby was averaging 3.8 yards an attempt...vomit

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

you just resigned Johnson and drafted another RB. Unless the panthers were completely selling out to stop the run, there isnt a reason to deviate from it. When stefanski actually committed to the run, they couldnt be stopped. 

Absolutely the worst aspect was, out of those 34 passes, only 5 of them were play action passes. He was 1 for 5 on those plays for a whopping 1 yard. Im sorry, if the Browns are destroying the opponent with the run that bad and Jacoby is going to be that bad off the play action, you might want to put dobbs in. He can at least execute the roll out/boot action off the stuff. 

You take out the 3 screen passes, Jacoby was averaging 3.8 yards an attempt...vomit

Honestly working in some packages for Dobbs to maybe add another element to the offense is something they need to be doing imo.  Not every drive obviously, but occasionally being able to add a new dimension to the offense may help overcome some of the QB deficiencies we have until Watson comes back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Honestly working in some packages for Dobbs to maybe add another element to the offense is something they need to be doing imo.  Not every drive obviously, but occasionally being able to add a new dimension to the offense may help overcome some of the QB deficiencies we have until Watson comes back.

That’s gotten happen soon. Brissett looks slow as hell he can’t extend plays. When you have a terrible qb you have to run gimmicks. We need to see Dobbs do something out there. 

• Like 1