Christian Watson this, Christian Watson that....dude's done NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

vegas492

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

This talk about Jordy, jennings, Jones and Davante has me thinking. Watson's rookie year he's looked more impressive than any of them and Doubs was probably close to on par with them. Some of that has to due with opportunity etc. It also obviosuly dosent mean they'll pan out to have the careers those guys had but its encouraging to say the least. They still need another guy or two to round things out.

Jennings and Jones were pretty good as rookies.  Jennings had 632 yards and 3 TDs, Jones had 676 and 2 TDs. Watson has been a TD machine, and is my favorite player, I just don't want to diminish Jennings and Jones.  MVS had 581 and 2TDs as a rookie as well.  I think that the biggest hurdle for Doubs and Watson is staying healthy.  

I very much agree about wanting to add another WR to the room.  I want Lazard back, but I can easily see the dollars just not fitting.  Spend another reasonably high second round pick this year and we probably have a good guy to team with Watson and Doubs, and can have Toure pick up the 4th/5th/small wr snaps.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

This talk about Jordy, jennings, Jones and Davante has me thinking. Watson's rookie year he's looked more impressive than any of them and Doubs was probably close to on par with them. Some of that has to due with opportunity etc. It also obviosuly dosent mean they'll pan out to have the careers those guys had but its encouraging to say the least. They still need another guy or two to round things out.

To me, Watson looks different than all of them.  Like there is more potential there.

But I'd stop short of saying that Watson's rookie year was more impressive than Jennings.  And that's just because Greg was very reliable right away.  And more consistent.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Man, I just looked up Jennings career stats.  I think I really overrated him.  Especially his rookie year.  I thought he had like 900 yards his rookie year.  No.  No he did not.  My bad.

He made massive plays en route to a magical 2007 season.  Caught Favre’s record TD throw, the Hail Mary against the broncos, caught a Rodgers TD against Dallas.

Greg Jennings was an ELITE WR from 2008-2011, but his star faded quickly after that.  

Edited by Cpdaly23

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Man, I just looked up Jennings career stats.  I think I really overrated him.  Especially his rookie year.  I thought he had like 900 yards his rookie year.  No.  No he did not.  My bad.

Rookie Jennings was so smooth and looked good right from the start.  He looked polished right out of the box.  But he got injured and shut down early.  Started 11 games, and was already dinged during the last couple that he did play, so wasn't as productive, IIRC.  If you project his 11-games started out to 17, his yards would look better.  

He was fun to watch, so very smooth and polished.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Probably the night and day difference between the 05 and 06 team.  The 05 team was a horrible offense, Favre had 29 INTs and our bright spot was Samkon Gado.  I think Driver's running mates that season were Antonio Chatman, Rod Gardner, and Robert Ferguson.  The 06 team under McCarthy didn't score a lot of points, but it drastically cut down the turnovers, and Jennings was a major receiver in that offense.  

• Like 1

I'd love another good receiver, too.  But as has been the problem since Davante was taken, the Packers just have SO many needs to draft for.  I think as was true in from draft 2015-through-2021, receiver will again get pushed aside due to other more pressing problems.  

I admit I would be curious to see how Toure might fare as a 4th guy, with Watson-Doubs-Lazard.  

Given the financial pressures, I'm not sure Green Bay is the team that can afford to pay Lazard his market value.  May need to just let him go?  

14 minutes ago, craig said:

I'd love another good receiver, too.  But as has been the problem since Davante was taken, the Packers just have SO many needs to draft for.  I think as was true in from draft 2015-through-2021, receiver will again get pushed aside due to other more pressing problems.  

I admit I would be curious to see how Toure might fare as a 4th guy, with Watson-Doubs-Lazard.  

Given the financial pressures, I'm not sure Green Bay is the team that can afford to pay Lazard his market value.  May need to just let him go?  

I agree on all counts.  In my earlier post, I wrote, then deleted, then wrote, then deleted again:  If we want a veteran presence in the WR room, and we let Lazard go, I wouldn't be at all opposed to a cheap Randall Cobb deal.  He won't play every game of the season, we know that.  He will also probably have a couple of games where he looks really good.  Funnily enough, I am listening to Andy Herman right now, and he says something similar, haha.  

51 minutes ago, craig said:

Rookie Jennings was so smooth and looked good right from the start.  He looked polished right out of the box.  But he got injured and shut down early.  Started 11 games, and was already dinged during the last couple that he did play, so wasn't as productive, IIRC.  If you project his 11-games started out to 17, his yards would look better.  

He was fun to watch, so very smooth and polished.  

Doesn't get enough credit for his toughness either.   He was willing to go to the dirty areas and take a shot to make a tough grab.  I think he was a pretty terrific player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

And under 600 on the whole season.

So Rodgers finally started trusting him. Doesn't mean Jordy hadn't become an accomplished player by then. He tore it up in the Super Bowl and his star power was obvious. Jennings was a stud and that, while only 12 years ago, was all the talent one needed at WR. 

Having Jones and Driver as well, even later years Driver, makes that WR room stacked. 

Edited by Old Guy

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

To me, Watson looks different than all of them.  Like there is more potential there.

But I'd stop short of saying that Watson's rookie year was more impressive than Jennings.  And that's just because Greg was very reliable right away.  And more consistent.

If Watson keeps up this pace he’s going to blow away Jennings stats in like half a season