Christian Watson this, Christian Watson that....dude's done NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

vegas492

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Okay, but grounding edges down doesn't always happen successfully.

What does Watson have going on right now that makes him so much more transcendent than MVS?

Crossing routes? MVS is really a one trick pony. He's faster, he's got stronger hands and he's catching a hell of a lot of TD passes in his rookie year. 

MVS has 14 TDs in his career. Watson has 9 through 10 games. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Crossing routes? MVS is really a one trick pony. He's faster, he's got stronger hands and he's catching a hell of a lot of TD passes in his rookie year. 

MVS has 14 TDs in his career. Watson has 9 through 10 games. 

Crossing routes are literally the least talented required route on the tree. It is the definition of a run fast route. 

I'm aware of the stats. What's the skillet difference? Because as of now, this looks like usage to me. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Crossing routes are literally the least talented required route on the tree. It is the definition of a run fast route. 

I'm aware of the stats. What's the skillet difference? Because as of now, this looks like usage to me. 

Yep, he has to improve his route running, but production is the only skillset that matters. Was Randy Moss a great route runner of just scared the living **** out of folks with his speed, which they couldn't stop anyway. 

I'd argue he was the latter. If speed was the only requirement, the NFL would only have sub 4.3 WRs. 

At the end of the day the rookie's production, given where he came from leaves little doubt, he's a #1 WR in the making. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What does Watson have going on right now that makes him so much more transcendent than MVS?

Play strength, the fact that he's not a 2x4 wearing the #83 and can fight against being re-routed. He's explosive, and doesn't take long to reach top speed, MVS was absolutely a long speed guy who offered little to nothing in the YAC game because he wasn't fast until his 4-5th stride.

Honestly there's not a lot of similarities from what I see on tape, it's a lazy comparison between two fast guys on your part. Watson is a far more comfortable player with the football in his hands, that's immediately obvious. I don't think we ever saw MVS score on a scramble drill reactionary route, we've now got 2 TDs in 3 weeks from Watson there. Be a shorter list to compare them. They're 6'4 and fast. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yep, he has to improve his route running, but production is the only skillset that matters. Was Randy Moss a great route runner of just scared the living **** out of folks with his speed, which they couldn't stop anyway. 

I'd argue he was the latter. If speed was the only requirement, the NFL would only have sub 4.3 WRs. 

At the end of the day the rookie's production, given where he came from leaves little doubt, he's a #1 WR in the making. 

Randy Moss was a GREAT route runner. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Play strength, the fact that he's not a 2x4 wearing the #83 and can fight against being re-routed. He's explosive, and doesn't take long to reach top speed, MVS was absolutely a long speed guy who offered little to nothing in the YAC game because he wasn't fast until his 4-5th stride.

Honestly there's not a lot of similarities from what I see on tape, it's a lazy comparison between two fast guys on your part. Watson is a far more comfortable player with the football in his hands, that's immediately obvious. I don't think we ever saw MVS score on a scramble drill reactionary route, we've now got 2 TDs in 3 weeks from Watson there. Be a shorter list to compare them. They're 6'4 and fast. 

I agree entirely on play strength with the caveat of the injury issues. If he can play 14 games next year, I'll be more than happy to go there.

I agree on acceleration as well. You weren't who I was aiming the question towards though ;)

MVS scored on a couple scramble drill throws. Though I think we're seeing Watson get more balls with Rodgers being less willing to take off this year. 

Watson has the physical tools to be able to develop as a route runner.  

From his Pro Day:  
3 cone:  6.96
short shuttle:  4.19

Christian Watson – Wide Receiver – NDSU 

HT: 6040

WT: 208

40: 4.36 (Combine)

Bench: 18 reps

VJ: 38.5” (Combine)

Broad: 11-4 (Combine)

Shuttle: 4.19

Three-cone: 6.96

At this point, it would be hard to not have heard of Christian Watson, as he has dominated the entire pre-draft process. While he is not from the biggest school, despite NDSU’s FCS dominance, Watson should hear his name called early. At the combine, the talented wideout ran a blazing 4.36 40-yard dash, vertical jumped 38.5 inches, and broad jumped 11-foot-4, all which are very high ranks among the WRs. He followed that up with an impressive field workout and tested great once again at his Pro Day. He ran a 6.96 three-cone, a 4.19 shuttle, and benched 18 reps, all of these would be right around the top ranks for WRs at the combine. No player has helped themselves more than Watson in this process and we should see that reflected on draft day.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Huh?  9 td's in the past month makes him transcendent already.  MVS was a tease  .. Watson is a hope with the edges being polished as we speak.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The smart kids in the class need to stop answering the ******* questions not intended for them!!!

I don't need to get into the nuances when the difference is so glaring. Your problem is you went down a road you can't win and refuse to give up. It's a character flaw, which is regrettable because you offer so much. 

I, like other Packer fans clearly see what Watson is and where he appears to be heading. Never more than a tease with MVS. 

Go ahead and admit you overreacted to your initial take on Watson, and we'll all move on.

Randy Moss was not a great route runner. He was a tremendous athlete, could catch anything thrown his way. 

You'll have to excuse me, it's way past my bedtime. Should I hold my breath waiting for you to admit your initial reaction in this exchange was completely misguided? It doesn't hurt whatsoever to admit you were wrong. I speak from plenty of experience. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

I don't need to get into the nuances when the difference is so glaring. Your problem is you went down a road you can't win and refuse to give up. It's a character flaw, which is regrettable because you offer so much. 

I, like other Packer fans clearly see what Watson is and where he appears to be heading. Never more than a tease with MVS. 

Go ahead and admit you overreacted to your initial take on Watson, and we'll all move on.

Randy Moss was not a great route runner. He was a tremendous athlete, could catch anything thrown his way. 

Moss has Gumby legs, dude was a fantastic route runner for a big WR.