Christian Watson this, Christian Watson that....dude's done NOTHING, literally NOTHING.

vegas492

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's no point to answering a hypothetical question if we disagree on the fundamental supposition. 

There's no guarantee that Doubs is anything. Hell, there's no guarantee that Watson will be anything. 

That's not what I'm asking you. That's my opinion. I'm asking you how much are you paying Lazard, forget my opinion.

Edited by St Vince

30 minutes ago, St Vince said:

The debate is dollars. He's probably going to be behind Doubs and Watson next year. So now I'll ask you the same question, how much are you willing to pay a #3 WR?  I'm not disagreeing he has a valuable role in this system.

I don't think that is as settled as you do.  Lazard, Watson, and Doubs all have different games.  Lazard's game is closer to Marques Colston or Brandon Marshall than anyone that we have had in a very long time.  That will always be functional.  In a later post, you ask:  how much will we pay him?  That is a valid question.  And I very much agree that there is a limit.  I would like to see what the cap numbers look like when that time comes.  At this point, I say do what you can to retain him.  He will definitely see the field, a lot.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I wouldn't pay Lazard more than 4-5M (yeah, I know he's gonna get more). We don't have much space, he's gonna get 700 yards as a WR1 and he's 27. He doesn't move the needle at all.

I just feel this is so ironic coming from Packer fans. The only consistent WR we have, no one wants to pay lol. If Christian Kirk can get 18 M a year Lazard can ask for 8-10 M.

8 minutes ago, R T said:

Watson isn't anything, just a midseason flash in the pan. If he was a 1st round pick the Packers would be SB bound right now. Greatness only comes with 1st round WR's.  

LOL .. sarcasm .. even I get it this time!  Not often, but I get it.    

• Like 1

About the only thing I can offer is this....concerning next year's WR's.

If Rodgers comes back, I'll happily take Cobb back at his current salary/deal.  

And Doubs is more than just a possession receiver.

But we are drafting another one relatively high.  

And a lot of draft things would need to happen for me to take one in round one.  Like us winning another 2-3 games to slide down the board so that no Tackles or EDGE players are left.

6 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I wouldn't pay Lazard more than 4-5M (yeah, I know he's gonna get more). We don't have much space, he's gonna get 700 yards as a WR1 and he's 27. He doesn't move the needle at all.

Packers fan 101

1. Trade Adams when he gets too expensive
  2. Don't pay MVS, he's not worth it
  3. Don't pay Lazard, he's not worth it
  4. Complain about Rodgers not having enough weapons
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Packers fan 101

1. Trade Adams when he gets too expensive
  2. Don't pay MVS, he's not worth it
  3. Don't pay Lazard, he's not worth it
  4. Complain about Rodgers not having enough weapons

Contract value is paramount in salary cap league. If Rodgers wants to be the highest paid player in the league, he's gonna have to make due with lower quality weapons then. Raiders traded a 1st and made Adams the highest paid receiver and where'd that get them? They'll finish with a worst record then last year. MVS is like the 4th WR on KC. Draft at least 1 WR in rounds 2-4 every year. If they hit, trade them when there contract is up. Rinse and repeat

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's no point to answering a hypothetical question if we disagree on the fundamental supposition. 

There's no guarantee that Doubs is anything. Hell, there's no guarantee that Watson will be anything. 

Outside of injury I think this is an overly pessimistic overview. 

It's more likely than not that Lazard would be #3 in targets to Doubs and Watson if he came back next year. There's just nothing dynamic there. His greatest perk is the ability to make those around him more productive moreso than produce himself. For that reason I pay him, as he'll be extremely valuable for Watson, Doubs and whatever other rookies are on next year's team, but his days as target share leader are over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Outside of injury I think this is an overly pessimistic overview. 

It's more likely than not that Lazard would be #3 in targets to Doubs and Watson if he came back next year. There's just nothing dynamic there. His greatest perk is the ability to make those around him more productive moreso than produce himself. For that reason I pay him, as he'll be extremely valuable for Watson, Doubs and whatever other rookies are on next year's team, but his days as target share leader are over.

I would be way more comfortable putting money down that Lazard finishes #1 or #2 in targets if he returns next year, than him finishing #3. 

I just don't see this unit having a true #1 guy next year unless Watson really takes off. It will be another year of use-case WR targets. 

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I would be way more comfortable putting money down that Lazard finishes #1 or #2 in targets if he returns next year, than him finishing #3. 

I just don't see this unit having a true #1 guy next year unless Watson really takes off. It will be another year of use-case WR targets. 

Has Watson not taken off?? Not sure what else you'd call the last month?? The guy reaches 20 MPH on pretty much any route he doesn't have to break on. You force feed those gifts if you have any offensive prowess as a playcaller whatsoever.

With another camp like last year, Doubs is going to become a reliable #2. He's just way above his experience level when it comes to nuances of the position. When he plays with the same level of confidence that Watson has learned from achieving success, that's another target you need to get the ball to.

I am one of the biggest Lazard fans on here, but there's nothing dynamic or explosive there. We gave him a chance to show there's more to his game and there's not. He's a big slot who is dependable and elevates those around him with his route running and blocking. I'd still be fine paying Laz at 10 per solely because of how much better he's going to make the WR room, but not as the main target share. Not if you want any sort of dynamic qualities in your offense.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Has Watson not taken off?? Not sure what else you'd call the last month?? The guy reaches 20 MPH on pretty much any route he doesn't have to break on. You force feed those gifts if you have any offensive prowess as a playcaller whatsoever.

With another camp like last year, Doubs is going to become a reliable #2. He's just way above his experience level when it comes to nuances of the position. When he plays with the same level of confidence that Watson has learned from achieving success, that's another target you need to get the ball to.

I am one of the biggest Lazard fans on here, but there's nothing dynamic or explosive there. We gave him a chance to show there's more to his game and there's not. He's a big slot who is dependable and elevates those around him with his route running and blocking. I'd still be fine paying Laz at 10 per solely because of how much better he's going to make the WR room, but not as the main target share. Not if you want any sort of dynamic qualities in your offense.

Ray you and AG make great points.

Question to you both though and it's likely stupid. Do we ask Lazard to put on 10 more LBs and try him at move TE? 

56 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The only thing holding Watson back from taking off is #12. That dude has skills you don't see in a 6'4 guy since Randy Moss. How do you gameplan for a dude that big and fast without leaving other areas completely susceptible to being gashed? To stop him you have to commit two guys every play, even then he's going to win over the top once in a while. 

We're all frustrated with the season, but this is one of your few misses as a poster. Still respect the heck out of your knowledge though. 

Edited by Old Guy