2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

41 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I'm fully expecting to be picking in the 10-15 range with no second rounder. You really think Rivera is gonna give up on Wentz after that press conference? Anything better is gravy

Jimmy Fallon Comedy GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

We’ll draft a CB in round 1 & continue to develop Howell. I hope in round 3 we take a C/G type.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We’ll draft a CB in round 1 & continue to develop Howell. I hope in round 3 we take a C/G type.

This would be disappointing, but (as annoying as this is to hear, I’m sure) gun to my head, I do think I might actually kinda prefer the top of the 2024 QB list with Caleb Williams and Quinn Ewers. 

I see a lot to like with Stroud and Young, but the idea of the top two guys being OSU and Bama QBs does scare me. It’s not that I don’t think it’s possible for great QBs to come from there — I understand that you don’t want to scout the jersey. The problem for me is that I’m afraid it can be really hard to separate the QB from all the other awesome guys who wear that same jersey. 

Stroud in particular played with one of the silliest groups of skill players in history last year. A group that will end up rivaling the LSU crew and some of those Bama units. And Day is an excellent schemer on top of it. Does that mean Stroud’s not good? Absolutely not. But what do we know about his ability to make tight window throws, or to throw it away and fight another day if no one is open, or just to take the check downs because the play design isn’t hitting? To come back strong and rally his guys after making some negative plays and getting beat up some? He hasn’t had to do a ton of that. I liked the ND game because we got to see him struggle a bit, have some frustration and adversity (largely related to him not playing that well, but also some drops, etc).

The same issues probably exist with Caleb Williams, because playing in that Lincoln Riley offense in the Big 12 and Pac 12 with at least some good receivers (or in Addison’s case, a total stud) isn’t exactly a gauntlet of a test either. But it’s still not quite the same as playing with 4 or 5 highly drafted NFL skill players. 

That’s why I wish Levis was less of a project mentally. We know that that guy can make plays and put up numbers when his supporting cast doesn’t grossly overmatch the opposition. But man, he makes some dumb decisions. 

• Like 2

I’m just not too into this draft overall thus far. I’m really not buying a lot of these guys who the early-season hype was on, especially at our biggest positions of need. 

Among the LBs, I’m not impressed at all with Sewell from Oregon who people seemed to be pushing. To’o To’o seems like a guy with a MIKE mentality, but I question the speed and the tackling there. Trenton Simpson flashes, but despite his studious looking glasses in his picture, I don’t know that he strikes me as a true MIKE — more of that hybrid WILL type.

I like both of the Bama safeties, but not near the top 10. I don’t see any of these safeties at that level.

I’ve mentioned before that I don’t really buy Paris Johnson, at least based on the ND game that everyone was excited about. Haven’t seen anything else yet. Skoronski looks solid, I guess I could see taking him with the intention of kicking Cosmi inside. That might kill two birds with one stone.

I’m not great at evaluating CBs, I’ll be the first to admit that. I’m not impressed with Ringo though. I haven’t watched any of the rest, but I don’t see a lot of push for anyone else in the top 10 area yet. 

It feels like there’s about 6 guys who belong in a top 10 (basically QBs and DL), and then…a pretty big gap. I’ve always loved Mayer and Bijan, but there’s just no way we can do that…right?

• Like 1

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE
Imagine worrying about where a guy played college football and that determining if you drafted them or not as a GM. 

If we can’t get Stroud, I think there’s something to be said that we should wait for Caleb Williams or Ewers in 2024 but, I hope that Rivera isn’t here to make that decision.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE
Imagine worrying about where a guy played college football and that determining if you drafted them or not as a GM. 

If we can’t get Stroud, I think there’s something to be said that we should wait for Caleb Williams or Ewers in 2024 but, I hope that Rivera is  there to make that decision.

Why?

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

Who we watching today boyos?

Jartavius Martin, IL CB

John Michael Schmitz, MN OL

Ewers at noon, Young and Hooker at 330, Levis at 730, and Williams at 8. The obsession begins full force 😂

I like WR Quentin Johnston from TCU, who went absolutely bonkers last week. I’ve been hearing good things about the LT from PSU, looks like he’s going to get challenged today. Clark Phillips may get a chance to tango with Jordan Addison, that will be quite a test for him, I’d say. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Ewers at noon, Young and Hooker at 330, Levis at 730, and Williams at 8. The obsession begins full force 😂

I like WR Quentin Johnston from TCU, who went absolutely bonkers last week. I’ve been hearing good things about the LT from PSU, looks like he’s going to get challenged today. Clark Phillips may get a chance to tango with Jordan Addison, that will be quite a test for him, I’d say. 

Hooker is very painful for me to watch. Makes me hate Fuente even more lol

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

He’s much better then the VT version. I mean he is as old as Hurts for the Eagles lol. 

Sorta. Hooker was really good at VT. The scheme was horrible and they kept playing Bermeister for no reason whatsoever. Hooker was the only real reason we were winning games. 

• Like 1

Dude watching Ole Miss and Michigan I’m just like why haven’t we figured this out? You want to have a QB that moves and throws on the move well. But they just pound you and pound you with the run. I’ll just never understand why we don’t run the ball a lot more then we do. Yes Samuel is a extension of the run but if your not running the ball that stuff isn’t enough

• Like 1