2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

At the moment, if you were going OT, I think you’d moreso be looking at a RT that would allow you to kick Cosmi inside to RG. And try to kill two birds with that one stone. 

I don’t think they see Cosmi at RT as a problem at the moment — and honestly, I’m not sure I do either. But if they were looking to add high-end talent to the OL, that’s probably how I’d do it. Opt for a guy who could one day be a LT solution post-Leno, but who can also play right away. Cosmi might be a killer as an OG, people have suggested that from well before he got drafted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

At the moment, if you were going OT, I think you’d moreso be looking at a RT that would allow you to kick Cosmi inside to RG. And try to kill two birds with that one stone. 

I don’t think they see Cosmi at RT as a problem at the moment — and honestly, I’m not sure I do either. But if they were looking to add high-end talent to the OL, that’s probably how I’d do it. Opt for a guy who could one day be a LT solution post-Leno, but who can also play right away. Cosmi might be a killer as an OG, people have suggested that from well before he got drafted. 

Do you see an OT being worth a top 5 pick in this draft? I sure don’t. I’m starting to zero in on Bryce Young. I wasn’t sold until the Tennessee game but my god he’s incredible. He just sees the field so well. Doesn’t have killer arm strength but can put the ball anywhere. He’s going to be so good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Do you see an OT being worth a top 5 pick in this draft? I sure don’t. I’m starting to zero in on Bryce Young. I wasn’t sold until the Tennessee game but my god he’s incredible. He just sees the field so well. Doesn’t have killer arm strength but can put the ball anywhere. He’s going to be so good. 

Not top 5, definitely. Where we are currently? Maybe. I could live with Skoronski. PFF loves him, which makes sense to me, because he doesn’t miss much. Extremely solid. Don’t see the ceiling to be a Trent-like athlete who changes your offense — but he’s really sound. 

I think everybody is honing in on Paris Johnson at OSU as the high-ceiling guy. I’m not sold at this point, but I’ll be watching a lot more. I hear people talking about Jaelyn Duncan from Maryland, he’d never really popped for me but when I watch him now, he does look pretty good.  

Bryce was my favorite coming into the season. Hasn’t done much to change that so far. He just seems like such a natural ballplayer, everything feels smooth and under control and purposeful. Stroud feels more mechanical to me, more like he’s just executing a highly schemed dance than actually thinking and feeling his way through the game. Just a sense I get, but I think Bryce’s style might translate better to a league where “QBs making plays” is the gold standard currency. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Just cause they are so hard to find and I give up on drafting or acquiring QBs !🤪 

I get it, but Good QBs are so hard to find. The main issue for me why we haven’t found a great one the last 30 years is bc we haven’t tried enough. We’ve taken only 5 QBs in the 1st round in the last 30 years & only 2 of those in the top 10 (Shuler & RG3). After that, we haven’t taken any in round 2 that I remember and I think only Sage Rozefels as high as round 3. 

Like how are you supposed to get a great QB then? We have mostly traded or signed vets who other teams have discarded and we wonder why we can’t build a winner?

If you don’t try, it’s hard to succeed.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

I definitely agree with this. Kicking Cosmi into RG & finding us a young RT to develop behind Lucas would be my preference. I think we can do that by taking a RT prospect in the 2nd (hopefully we keep that pick) or with our natural 3rd if we lose the 2nd or our 3rd rnd comp for losing Scherff.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I get it, but Good QBs are so hard to find. The main issue for me why we haven’t found a great one the last 30 years is bc we haven’t tried enough. We’ve taken only 5 QBs in the 1st round in the last 30 years & only 2 of those in the top 10 (Shuler & RG3). After that, we haven’t taken any in round 2 that I remember and I think only Sage Rozefels as high as round 3. 

Like how are you supposed to get a great QB then? We have mostly traded or signed vets who other teams have discarded and we wonder why we can’t build a winner?

If you don’t try, it’s hard to succeed.

We did draft RGIII and Haskins round #1 . 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Could be just me, but using a 1st rounder at QB every 6 years seems like a lot....

Not when the guy you drafted doesn’t work out. When you’re guy doesn’t hit & you don’t have another good option then you need to try again w/ another high pick to hit on a QB.

Also, Ramsey, Campbell & Haskins weren’t top 10 picks/talent. Taking those guys was essentially like taking a 2nd or 3rd round talent. 

The only guys we’ve drafted as a franchise with franchise QB potential in the last 30 years was Shuler & RG3.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

We did draft RGIII and Haskins round #1 . 

And… they didn’t work out. So you’re just not going to  take another QB in round 1 bc the last guy you’d drafted didn’t work out? How are you supposed to ever find a franchise QB I’d that’s your philosophy?

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

And… they didn’t work out. So you’re just not going to  take another QB in round 1 bc the last guy you’d drafted didn’t work out? How are you supposed to ever find a franchise QB I’d that’s your philosophy?

I'm drafting the next Tom Brady in round 6 ! 😆