How would you define your caulking skills?

MKnight82

here's my favorite caulking story...

a million years ago i used to do handyman repair work for a little old lady, in the evenings after my regular job. she was very particular and would fire most guys, but me she liked. and had me do a lot of caulking. bathtubs, sinks, counters, windows, etc...

so one evening i'm caulking her kitchen counter backsplash and as usual she's watching me like a hawk. the light is sort of a dim so without either of us saying anything she gets a flashlight from her junk drawer and shines the beam right on the nozzle of the gun, and moves the light ahead of me as i move the tool. a couple of feet down the line there was this little spot where i had an air bubble pop so it got a little bit less caulking than it needed (but i intended to return to it to smooth it out). but as i moved on, her flashlight beam stayed right on the little bubble. so i returned and smoothed it out and then we both moved forward again in tandem.

totally non verbal between us.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2022 at 1:46 PM, vike daddy said:

here's my favorite caulking story...

a million years ago i used to do handyman repair work for a little old lady, in the evenings after my regular job. she was very particular and would fire most guys, but me she liked. and had me do a lot of caulking. bathtubs, sinks, counters, windows, etc...

so one evening i'm caulking her kitchen counter backsplash and as usual she's watching me like a hawk. the light is sort of a dim so without either of us saying anything she gets a flashlight from her junk drawer and shines the beam right on the nozzle of the gun, and moves the light ahead of me as i move the tool. a couple of feet down the line there was this little spot where i had an air bubble pop so it got a little bit less caulking than it needed (but i intended to return to it to smooth it out). but as i moved on, her flashlight beam stayed right on the little bubble. so i returned and smoothed it out and then we both moved forward again in tandem.

totally non verbal between us.

My fav caulking story is:

The time an instructor completely went off on a fellow student for detailing something with a label of "caulking" instead of "acoustical sealant".  And agitatedly said caulking a lot of times in the process.  Repeatedly indicating that caulking is not the same.

My actual caulking skills in practice are passable, but nothing to brag about.  Feels like at least one third of it is basically just how good you are with an utility knife, and figuring out how to cut that tube just right.

I can't even remember what it was we were caulking, but my dad was doing it, and despite being very handy and adept with a caulking gun, he was astonished with how neat of an angle and aperture i got on my caulking tubes.  I think he's just spent his whole like hacking them off like a neanderthal.  idk.