Broncos Ink Russell Wilson to massive deal

BullsandBroncos

That's um... that's a lotta scratch. That puts him in Denver until he's 38, right?

Yeah, that's a lotta scratch. 

This is going to be an interesting case study - give up significant assets to bring in a player, then give them a massive extension; So not only is the ability to bring in young talent on the rookie wage scale impacted, but the ability to bring in FAs will be impacted (I get the deal can be restructured to create money down the line). 

If Denver could win one out of this era, it won't really matter - nobody will care about the inability to restore the roster with high value talent. It'll still be interesting to see.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's um... that's a lotta scratch. That puts him in Denver until he's 38, right?

This is going to be an interesting case study - give up significant assets to bring in a player, then give them a massive extension; So not only is the ability to bring in young talent on the rookie wage scale impacted, but the ability to bring in FAs will be impacted (I get the deal can be restructured to create money down the line). 

If Denver could win one out of this era, it won't really matter - nobody will care about the inability to restore the roster with high value talent. It'll still be interesting to see.

Bolded 100%.

I don't see the Broncos roster as a contending roster as is. They have Surtain, Simmons and Wilson as their blue chip guys then the rest of the roster is meh. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Rob Walton will pay the Free agents under the table. Cmon ET

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Risky move. Wilson is approaching his mid-30s, and showed some regression last year. I'm also not sold on Denver's coaching.

That being said, it's hard to judge Denver too harshly. Wilson should still be a very good QB, and those are hard to come by. It's just his age that gives me pause.