Hot takes for the 2022-2023 season?

ClutchDJ

What are some hot takes you have for the upcoming season?

And not hot takes that have been repeated over the off-season to the point they’re lukewarm takes for example: 

“Broncos miss the playoffs”

”Kliff Kingsbury & Mike McCarthy will be the first coaches fired.”

”Eagles win the NFC East”

From my POV, I’ve seen those takes being repeated the most over the course of the off-season.

My really bold hot takes:

- Bills go one & done.

- Panthers finish above the Saints.

- Rivera is the first coach fired.

Actually, I agree with most of the above.

I can only add:  Cincinnati and Arizona will struggle compared to 2021, New Orleans and Baltimore will sneak into the playoffs while the Giants will surprise many (though not make the playoffs).

Needless to say, Garoppolo will be the starter in San Fran and Tua will be out in Miami before Week 6.

Oh, and the unheralded 2022 crop of QBs will be better than the 2021 crew (not that that is saying much).

All of the big WR moves will amount to basically nothing. Green Bay and Kansas City will have better overall teams this year despite losing Adams and Hill, respectively. The Titans will regress, but it won't really be because of Brown, given that they weren't a team capable of really utilizing Brown that heavily anyway. But hey, on the other side, Brown went to a team that also isn't going to be capable of utilizing him heavily either, so he won't be some big boon for Philly. And adding Adams and Hill is nice, but still won't give the Raiders or Dolphins a chance to dethrone KC and Buffalo, respectively. A lot of movement and a lot of money to not shift where any of those teams sit.

Cincinnati will very likely regress, even if talent-wise they are equal or better to what they were last year. They had an absurd penalty differential, were incredibly healthy, played a very weak strength of schedule, and honestly have a pretty volatile way of winning games on offense. I think they still make the playoffs, but the odds of them matching or exceeding their run last year are very low.

Buffalo is another one likely to regress, though given that they were the best team in the AFC for most of the season last year, there's a lot more room to regress and still be at the top of the conference. Especially with Allen at QB, and in a much lesser division, IMO. But, they, for reference, were the most injury fortunate team last year, and the second easiest schedule in the NFL, to Cincinnati. One thing they do have going for them, is they were miserable in close games last year. They basically won in a blowout or lost in a coin flip, and those things tend to course correct over time. Could wind up being a wash, now that I'm talking to myself about it, honestly, but, indicators are there, for what it's worth.

The Eagles are crazy overhyped at this point. They might win that division, because the division is mostly trash. But it really feels like they're everyone's hot pick this year, and I just don't see it. They'll be fine, but I don't see them competing with the Rams, Packers, Buccaneers, etc. And I will not engage on rebuttals on this point.

Despite how talented the AFC West looks, I'm betting only two teams make the postseason from there. Doesn't matter if a team like the Raiders are the 6th best in the AFC, someone is going to wind up going 1-5 and 2-4 in the division, and the path to the playoffs is just going to be so much harder for team #3 and #4 in the AFC West than for whoever winds up #2 in the East or South. Every AFC West team has 6 games against the AFC West, 4 against the NFC West, and at minimum, Tennessee and Indy for other solid to good AFC teams on the schedule. It's going to be real easy to go like 5-7 against that, and you'd damn near need to sweep the rest of your games at that point.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Justin Jefferson will have a better year than Cooper Kupp did last year.

I feel like I've seen a steady uptick in "the next Cooper Kupp" posts in recent weeks, and I feel like it's ultimately just ignorant of how rare what Kupp did was. Like, I love Jefferson, I could absolutely see him having a better year than Kupp will have this year. But Kupp is one of 4 guys in the superbowl era that have ever led the league in catches, yards, and TDs in the same season. The first since 2005. Only 5 guys have ever topped 1800 receiving yards, let alone 1900. And what Kupp did in the postseason is going to be completely unmatchable even if someone can hit his regular season prowess from last year. It just isn't going to happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

- Panthers finish above the Saints.

39 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Jameis Winston leads the Saints to an NFC South Title off the back of a Pro-Bowl season.

The Saints have to be the most polarizing team this year. Some think they’ll be the best team in the NFC South, and others think that they will be a sub-500 team. 

Sam Howell cements himself as the future in Washington 

Daniel Jones shows he is not the future in New York

Davis Mills shows enough that the Texans keep building around him 

Tom Brady retires for real at the end of the season 

Treylon Burks wins OROY

Aidan Hutchinson wins DROY

Jameis Winston wins comeback player of the year 

Nick Bosa wins DPOY

Kyler Murray wins MVP

Seattle finishes with the number 1 pick

Bills beat SF in the Super Bowl 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

The Saints have to be the most polarizing team this year. Some think they’ll be the best team in the NFC South, and others think that they will be a sub-500 team. 

I would be incredibly high on the Saints if Payton were still there. The talent is still there to succeed with Winston at QB. But, to succeed with Winston at QB and a more questionable coaching staff? That's a harder sell. Especially with Dennis Allen's track record.