The Ongoing Offensive Line Thread

RaidersAreOne

45 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’ve never seen a olinemen rotation on any level 

Patriots did this in 2015. It was seen as revolutionary by them at the time.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-england-patriots-offensive-line-rotations-2015-10

Through their first 30 offensive possessions this year, the Patriots have rolled out nine offensive-line combinations (not including kneels to end halves), and they deployed a 10th unique combination on goal-line packages against the Jaguars that resulted in three LeGarrette Blount rushing touchdowns. Against the Steelers in Week 1, they didn't begin consecutive possessions with the same offensive-line combination until the sixth and seventh possessions.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2015/09/new_england_patriots_offensive_6.html

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I stand corrected Is that the only time it’s been done? If it’s so revolutionary you would think others would copy esp since it the pats

Yeah...

I could see it being beneficial if you had 6 or 7 quality linemen where you could give a vet a break in favor of a younger guy. 

To do it because you have low quality guys on one whole side of the line though? I'm willing to play wait and see with guys like Parham and Munford and understand there's bound to be some lackluster outings. Playing musical chairs in that situation doesn't appear to really benefit anyone from what I can tell 

20 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I stand corrected Is that the only time it’s been done? If it’s so revolutionary you would think others would copy esp since it the pats

I think we are in the same boat as we are now, meaning they didn't have a good oline either, so they tried anything to make something stick.

The "revolutionary" part only comes because it was the Pats and things eventually worked to a "successful" conclusion. 

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

For the second year in a row the staff/front office had too much faith in our guys developing/becoming average to above average players. We paid Brandon Parker low end starter money, kept Good at his $4M cap hit, and I think they were also optimistic about Leatherwood. Losing all three of those guys before the season basically killed our depth because all three of those guys were penciled in as potential starters. 

I think the paying of Brandon Parker was a mistake, strange decision that as it was a decent amount of $$ too for what he's actually put on tape. IMO Eluemunor looked much better when I saw them (even last year he looked better I thought) and he only looks average. That was a strange move, though I guess we all thought Leatherwood would at least become depth or a backup rather than a complete bust.

To be honest, I'm not in panic mode just yet as I don't think the Oline was that terrible and it was against a feared pass rush, from my point of view and watching the game back John Simpson looks the worst of the bunch, he looks lost out there.

3 minutes ago, true2form said:

I think we are in the same boat as we are now, meaning they didn't have a good oline either, so they tried anything to make something stick.

The "revolutionary" part only comes because it was the Pats and things eventually worked to a "successful" conclusion. 

The pats also scored 119 points their first 3 games rotating so hard to question it when it’s producing. We scored 3 point at the half looking halfway garbage 

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Woah, that is a bolt from the blue!!!

I know the Jets messed him around medically and he played a handful of games for the Chiefs a couple years back, one against us I think, but does he have anything left in the tank? He was pretty good for the Chiefs wasn't he?

19 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Imagine this O with our 2016 line. Penn - Osemele - Hudson - Jackson - Howard (woof).

That was a fricken nasty OL for the most part. 

And the crazy thing is 2016 Howard would probably be our second best lineman right now 😬

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I think the paying of Brandon Parker was a mistake, strange decision that as it was a decent amount of $$ too for what he's actually put on tape. IMO Eluemunor looked much better when I saw them (even last year he looked better I thought) and he only looks average. That was a strange move, though I guess we all thought Leatherwood would at least become depth or a backup rather than a complete bust.

To be honest, I'm not in panic mode just yet as I don't think the Oline was that terrible and it was against a feared pass rush, from my point of view and watching the game back John Simpson looks the worst of the bunch, he looks lost out there.

This is yet another reason why we should have at least seen if Leatherwood could compete on the left side. So frustrating.  Not saying he would have won the starting job or been better but they did not even give him a rep to see.

• Like 1