How far does Jimmy 49ers go

Manny/Patrick

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

His name is Tartt. 

The Ramsey almost pick happened *after* the Tartt drop, so if Tartt makes the catch, that particular play never happens. Everything is different. Maybe another pick happens or maybe the niners flip the momentum and win the game. We will never know. Both are options. 

When people bring up the Tartt drop, I think the proper response is the really bad Skowronek drop, which cost the Rams a TD (they missed a FG later in that drive).

Yeah your right it’s Tartt lol. But no I still am not convinced that Tartt catching the int would’ve changed things. The Niners offense stopped moving the ball period from the 10:15 mark in the 4th. They couldn’t gain a yard. The Tartt drop came around the 9 min mark. So let’s say he gets that int. The Niners get back on the field on offense and still can’t gain a positive yard bc they never did even when they got back on the field multiple times.

So fans want to hope that Tartt play sparks the offense to get their heads out of their butt and push forward but in reality Donald and the defense made sure the Niners weren’t going to steal that game and they lock the Niners down. Best case scenario is the Niners defense lock down the Rams and hold on for dear life that 10pt lead but Stafford and Kupp wasn’t going to allow that to happen and nobody could cover OBJ in that game either. 

Edited by stl4life07

1 hour ago, stlducks said:

Jimmy never lost us a game but he probably has not won us a playoff game either. He does enough to win with the running game and defense. 

The SB loss I blame on coaching and the defense. Leading by 10 in the 4th then suddenly playing prevent on defense and passing on offense when the run game was working. 

NFC loss last year was down to a huge dropped INT, one of the easiest picks you will ever see. After that, Rams had all the momentum. 

Jimmy tried really hard to lose that Dallas game. The ball was completely taken out of his hands in the first Green Bay game, and he was bad against the Vikings in 2019 and Kyle took the ball away from him after his INT. Deebo saved his statline against the Rams by taking a bubble to the house, otherwise he was not good and he once again completely crumbled in the 4th quarter in the playoffs which is kind of weird given how well he does in similar situations in the regular season. Obviously I'm not going to say much about the snow bowl against Green Bay because it's really hard to judge anyone in those kind of conditions. He had an awful INT at the end of the half, but made enough plays on the final drive and he also had a really bad drop from Kittle that may have gone for six if the TE catches it. 

His 4th quarter performances in the playoffs have been historically bad. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Jimmy tried really hard to lose that Dallas game. The ball was completely taken out of his hands in the first Green Bay game, and he was bad against the Vikings in 2019 and Kyle took the ball away from him after his INT. Deebo saved his statline against the Rams by taking a bubble to the house, otherwise he was not good and he once again completely crumbled in the 4th quarter in the playoffs which is kind of weird given how well he does in similar situations in the regular season. Obviously I'm not going to say much about the snow bowl against Green Bay because it's really hard to judge anyone in those kind of conditions. He had an awful INT at the end of the half, but made enough plays on the final drive and he also had a really bad drop from Kittle that may have gone for six if the TE catches it. 

His 4th quarter performances in the playoffs have been historically bad. 

Ppl who rewatch these games have to come to the same conclusion - JimmyG isn't a guy who can win games on his own talent, and especially not as you head into January and face good to great teams.   He's a great game manager.   He can make the intermediate-middle throws with precision.  He's just downright awful at the boundary and deeper throws.    And he's usually good for 3-4 TO worthy throws or decisions with D's who can bring pressure.    That's why it shows up more in playoff time.     In the regular season, he's good enough that SF beats lesser talented, or lesser prepared teams.   But against the better teams, SF wins despite his play, not because of it.    Some times it works, other times it doesn't.   But sooner or later, it catches up to SF the more they climb the ladder against better competition.  I mean, that's the reason SF moved on.

Keep in mind there are about 8+ teams who would kill to have even that skill set right now.   And there are about 6+ who don't have a better solution.   But that's where JimmyG sits.     There are top-tier QB's who carry lesser talented teams around, and are responsible for 3-4 extra wins a game based on their talent.   JimmyG certainly isn't that guy.   But there are also several 2nd level "I can sometimes win the odd game on my own, and carry the team" - 1-2 extra win guys.    JimmyG isn't even that guy.   SF though is well-coached (especially in game prep), and very talented.   It's how the relationship has worked well.   But it's also why SF wanted to move on this year, too. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Ppl who rewatch these games have to come to the same conclusion - JimmyG isn't a guy who can win games on his own talent, and especially not as you head into January and face good to great teams.   He's a great game manager.   He can make the intermediate-middle throws with precision.  He's just downright awful at the boundary and deeper throws.    And he's usually good for 3-4 TO worthy throws or decisions with D's who can bring pressure.    That's why it shows up more in playoff time.     In the regular season, he's good enough that SF beats lesser talented, or lesser prepared teams.   But against the better teams, SF wins despite his play, not because of it.    Some times it works, other times it doesn't.   But sooner or later, it catches up to SF the more they climb the ladder against better competition.  I mean, that's the reason SF moved on.

Keep in mind there are about 8+ teams who would kill to have even that skill set right now.   And there are about 6+ who don't have a better solution.   But that's where JimmyG sits.     There are top-tier QB's who carry lesser talented teams around, and are responsible for 3-4 extra wins a game based on their talent.   JimmyG certainly isn't that guy.   But there are also several 2nd level "I can sometimes win the odd game on my own, and carry the team" - 1-2 extra win guys.    JimmyG isn't even that guy.   SF though is well-coached (especially in game prep), and very talented.   It's how the relationship has worked well.   But it's also why SF wanted to move on this year, too. 

Funny thing is you have folks were superior talent that can't get farther than Jimmy G. The clamoring for Baker, Derek, or Kirk over Jimmy by some 49ers fans not too long ago has softened up a bit. Even if those guys were the 49ers QB, I'm honestly not sure the 49ers would be a better team maybe. Jimmy in crunch time when it's truly his last chance to do something seems to turn into another gear despite all of the evidence that say that shouldn't happen. The football gawds seem to continuously be in his corner somehow. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

16 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Funny thing is you have folks were superior talent that can't get farther than Jimmy G. The clamoring for Baker, Derek, or Kirk over Jimmy by some 49ers fans not too long ago has softened up a bit. Even if those guys were the 49ers QB, I'm honestly not sure the 49ers would be a better team maybe. Jimmy in crunch time when it's truly his last chance to do something seems to turn into another gear despite all of the evidence that say that shouldn't happen. The football gawds seem to continuously be in his corner somehow. 

Baker?  Ehh.   He’s literally in the same class as JimmyG just younger.  And more obnoxious lol.    Carr is better overall but man he’s awful vs. pressure.   Neither of those guys is a massive upgrade.  

Cousins I’d back if you could only play day games.   He’s got the reverse vampire gene I can’t explain it lol.   

The issue is the diff between 14-23 is so negligible.   But they’re all in that tier imo  (Cousins is about 13-14). The 2 tiers I’m referring to are above all of the guys.    I thought maybe Kirk could ascend beyond but man not so far.   But that’s the point.  They all kind of leave you in that purgatory where they don’t hurt you but you have to thread the needle to win it all.   Because the QB isn’t the difference maker in January for you or worse is impeding you.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Baker?  Ehh.   He’s literally in the same class as JimmyG just younger.  And more obnoxious lol.    Carr is better overall but man he’s awful vs. pressure.   Neither of those guys is a massive upgrade.  

Cousins I’d back if you could only play day games.   He’s got the reverse vampire gene I can’t explain it lol.   

The issue is the diff between 14-23 is so negligible.   But they’re all in that tier imo  (Cousins is about 13-14). The 2 tiers I’m referring to are above all of the guys.    I thought maybe Kirk could ascend beyond but man not so far.   But that’s the point.  They all kind of leave you in that purgatory where they don’t hurt you but you have to thread the needle to win it all.   Because the QB isn’t the difference maker in January for you or worse is impeding you.  

Yeah, I'm just saying that despite better arm talent (which I've heard people harp on over, and over again) they haven't necessarily had better careers. And some 49ers fans have pounded the table that the squad would be better if they had those guys as the triggerman instead. Kind of funny to me how it's all worked out thus far. And it's not like they've had bad supporting casts themselves. 

On 9/18/2022 at 11:42 PM, Manny/Patrick said:

The past 2 years Jimmy G has been healthy this team has made the SB, and Title game. Treys out for the year and with the defense being one of the top units this year I can see them getting the 1 seed and hosting. What’s your thoughts?

I don't know about "1 seed" but with their real QB back on the field they rejoin Tampa Bay and the Rams as the three elite NFC franchises.  That gives the 49ers a 2 out of 3 chance of making the NFC Championship and a 1 in 3 chance of making it into the Superbowl.  Sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I don't know about "1 seed" but with their real QB back on the field they rejoin Tampa Bay and the Rams as the three elite NFC franchises.  That gives the 49ers a 2 out of 3 chance of making the NFC Championship and a 1 in 3 chance of making it into the Superbowl.  Sounds about right.

I mean you still have Arizona and Philadelphia looking strong. Packers and Vikings won't be slouches. Jimmy also needs to stay healthy. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

26 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I mean you still have Arizona and Philadelphia looking strong. Packers and Vikings won't be slouches.

These second tier teams all have shortcomings, some of them chronic.  Arizona continues to overperform but they were plundered in free agency and their critical QB-WR battery were done no favors by schedule makers.  Notwithstanding their 2017 Super Bowl, the Eagles are consistent underachievers--even more so than the Colts.  Green Bay has no WRs, an O-Line slipping down to average, and lingering concerns about Special Teams.  Vikings have great skill positions but average, at best, everywhere else.

Another second echelon NFL dark horse is Dallas but Dak's injury complicates that.

Jimmy also needs to stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Notwithstanding their 2017 Super Bowl, the Eagles are consistent underachievers--even more so than the Colts. 

Come on dawg, this is just narrative bunk. The Eagles are in the second year of a brand new regime. What any other regime in past Eagles history did or didn't do has nothing to do with the current regime. :)

At least you gave actual football reasons for the other squads. The 49ers big weakness is obviously their triggerman. And their head coach in crunch time decisions. We'll see. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe