How far does Jimmy 49ers go

Manny/Patrick

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Even though the Niners have won plenty with Jimmy against the Rams, I'm really not sure why you are so scared of him. Sure his strengths are the Rams weakness defensively, but we saw in the postseason you guys making certain adjustments and that resulted in him looking how he usually does in the playoffs. The reason the Niners are scary is because of the defense and run game once Mitchell returns. That doesn't have much to do with Jimmy. His quick release does at least help contain Donald and the crew but that's about it. We don't know what Lance would have become this season but the team would have been more explosive and the run game would have been better. That doesn't mean the team overall would have been better as Lance would have still had to show he could consistently win in the pocket and improve his accuracy. The ceiling is just so much lower now and it's going to come down to the defense playing elite ball in every playoff game. It almost worked last year and if Tartt does not drop the INT, who knows, maybe that ends up being the difference in the game and the Niners go on to win the SB. But it would have taken the defense holding the Cowboys, Packers and the Rams all under 17 points. Not a formula you want to count on in the playoffs lol.

Obviously Jimmy isn't the strength of the 49ers. That is not what I said. 

Just now, LeotheLion said:

Obviously Jimmy isn't the strength of the 49ers. That is not what I said. 

I know you did not say that, but some Rams fans (maybe you as well?) last season made reference to hating playing Jimmy and you guys were going to be happy when the team moved on to Lance. I'm just saying the reason for the Niners success against the Rams doesn't have all that much to do with Jimmy but more so of how the defense seemingly always seems to play against the Rams, regardless of who is at QB.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I know you did not say that, but some Rams fans (maybe you as well?) last season made reference to hating playing Jimmy and you guys were going to be happy when the team moved on to Lance. I'm just saying the reason for the Niners success against the Rams doesn't have all that much to do with Jimmy but more so of how the defense seemingly always seems to play against the Rams, regardless of who is at QB.

Jimmy is good at leading long scoring drives that shorten the game. He gets the ball out quickly and takes the easy layups. I'm not convinced Lance was ever going to get to that point this year even though he likely will lead to more explosive plays. The long drives against a defense as strong as the 49ers is what kills us. 

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Jimmy is good at leading long scoring drives that shorten the game. He gets the ball out quickly and takes the easy layups. I'm not convinced Lance was ever going to get to that point this year even though he likely will lead to more explosive plays. The long drives against a defense as strong as the 49ers is what kills us. 

I mean once again, I'm not sure how true that was going to be. Lance was going to convert more 3rd downs with his legs as he showed against the Bears and early on against the Seahawks. The first two drives that he was in for yesterday, the drives consisted of 11 plays 74 yards 5:44 TOP and 7 plays 74 yards 4:27 TOP. Lance certainly does not have Jimmy's quick release and isn't as accurate in the short area but the run game was going to be insanely good and the team was still going to have a good amount of long drives. And then when the game bogs down and Jimmy is called upon to win without the threat of the run game, he just hasn't been able to get it done in the playoffs. 

Jimmy does enough to let the team better inferior talent teams, so long as his TO-worthy plays don't kill them.     But once you face better teams, his limitations (can't throw on the boundary nearly as well as the middle, and often throws high flat-footed with pressure), get exploited by good D's.

The above totally explains why teams often enjoy regular season success, but can't get over the hump.  And for those that point to the playoff W's - keep in mind that they're winning despite his play, not because of it.   The only reason why DAL was in last year's game was because of his TO's and missing wide open guys.  The GB game, the ST's blocked a punt for a TD and the D held GB to 7 points.  

The same reasons they drafted Lance, were set to say goodbye last February before JimmyG got shoulder surgery and couldn't be traded, haven't changed.    The 49ers are fortunate that they still have him - but he's not likely to be around in 2023.  The good news for him is that teams still need QB to be interested - they just won't have to trade anything to get him, it will only cost money.  In leagues where Geno Smith & Mitch Trubisky are starting - he'll find a home next year.  I doubt it will be in SF, though.

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean once again, I'm not sure how true that was going to be.

You are just optimistic in Trey. Which I would be too if he was on my team but all the signs we've seen pointed to this being a rough year for him.

And to be clear, I know there is going to be rough moments for Jimmy G. But for whatever reason, the Rams have never adjusted to the over the middle stuff that Jimmy is much better at.

Edited by LeotheLion

20 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

You are just optimistic in Trey. Which I would be too if he was on my team but all the signs we've seen pointed to this being a rough year for him.

And to be clear, I know there is going to be rough moments for Jimmy G. But for whatever reason, the Rams have never adjusted to the over the middle stuff that Jimmy is much better at.

Optimistic? No, I'm speaking in reality. Why exactly would a run heavy team not have long drives? Do you think the run game was going to be less effective with Trey? The run game with Trey playing this season had the following stats:

284 yards on 49 rushes 5.8 YPC

They did this while converting 9-19 3rd downs. 

What are "all the signs that pointed to this being a rough year for him" that you saw? Was he going to have rough moments? Absolutely, but was the run game going to be one of the best in the league? Yes, and the same can't be said with Jimmy at QB. It is a myth that ever Shanahan team has a great running game. Only one year in the past three years has it been above average. It was absolutely going to be that with Trey due to his legs and the threat of his legs. You said Jimmy is good at long scoring drives and then said you were not convinced at Trey being able to do that....When that is exactly what he was going to do all season long due to how much this team was going to run the ball and the style of play. What you could have argued for Jimmy is that he is better at finishing drives with TDs opposed to Trey. That has definitely been true thus far. While Trey is able to move the ball just as well, if not better, he hasn't been able to finish drives in TDs at the rate Jimmy has. 

I mean the Rams defense is built to take the deep ball away from the sidelines but the 49ers offense in the games Jimmy has played the Rams since 2019 have scored the following amount of points:

Average of 23 PPG. While that is not terrible, the Rams offense has averaged 18 PPG in those games. It's not so much of how great Jimmy has been against the Rams, just how poorly the Rams offense has played. The Niners defense has always the Rams offense well, and if that was going to be the case this season, then it wasn't going to matter much who the QB was, Trey or Jimmy. This is why the Niners were able to beat the Rams in 2020 with Nick freaking Mullens at QB.

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

Jimmy is a worse matchup for your team for sure imo. If I were the Rams, I'd prefer to play the 49ers with Lance than Jimmy. 

• Like 2

Yes, 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo slashed his base salary from $25.62 million to $6.5 million when he agreed to stay with the team. But that’s just the beginning, based on his revised deal.

On Sunday, Garoppolo made an extra $350,000. And he’ll make that same amount in every game during which he plays at least 25 percent of the snaps and the 49ers win. The playing-time incentive pays $250,000. Achieving a victory kicks in an extra $100,000.

If he stays healthy for the rest of the season (which is hardly a given), Garoppolo will make at least $3.750 million, in addition to his base salary. He also gets $29,000 for each game in which he’s on the 46-man roster, maxing out at $500,000.

Thus, $6.5 million can become $10.75 million based on taking at least 25 percent of the offensive snaps in each game. And if the 49ers win 10 more games, that’s another $1 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/19/jimmy-garoppolo-made-an-extra-350000-on-sunday-and-it-could-happen-more-often/