Scouting the NFL 2023 Draft Prospects

KingTitan

8 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Just curious why someone like, Clayton Tube isn't in the talks to be a legit NFL QB. 

Good college numbers. Nice size and arm. 

From what I understand evaluators, are looking for "special" throws from prospects. A lot of these open guys aren't going to be this open in the NFL so you want to see QBs fit balls into tight windows. You also want to see them layer throws down the sideline over the flat defenders head and underneath the safety.

Not saying he can't do that, but he didn't put it on tape in this game. 

Anthony Richardson may be inaccurate as hell within 5-10 yards, but there are plenty of examples of him layering throws all over the field. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 6:16 AM, deeluxx3 said:

I’m not gonna sit here and praise our offensive staff, even tho the worst of them all have been fired, but I’m struggling with the notion that we shouldn’t take a qb because our coaches “wouldn’t know what to do with him”

I think that take, at least for me, isn't that "the staff will mess him up," it's more that "you need a proven QB developer on your staff to be able to make this kind of player work" and I don't think we have that.  Richardson is super talented, but extremely raw, with some really bad tendencies.  Those will be exacerbated if we have bad protection, because he's just David Carr syndrome waiting to happen.

If we drafted him, he'd be riding the pine until we get everything situated long, or get him advanced enough mentally to be able to play QB.  Which, if it sounds familiar, is exactly what we needed to do with Malik.  That's what happens with raw QBs, you have to be able to teach them how to be an NFL QB, and there aren't many that can do that.

That could change depending on the OC we hire, but it would still take our first pick to secure Richardson, and then we have to find a left tackle and at least another weapon on Day 2, without addressing the rest of the OL or defensive needs, so he opens up on a team that still has a whole lot of offensive holes.

23 hours ago, twotonebluenation said:

Mel Kipers got 4 qbs going in the top 10. Hmm.

He had three going in the first this time last year.  Pickett, Willis, and Ridder.

Yeah. Clayton Tune doesn't have the biggest arm and played against lower level comp.  Just funny how that works sometimes.
Like Paxton Lynch played in the same conference and I guess people like him show why you shouldn't draft them lol

But just funny how someone can catch a hype train and end up 1st  round and another end up 4th or undrafted. 

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think that take, at least for me, isn't that "the staff will mess him up," it's more that "you need a proven QB developer on your staff to be able to make this kind of player work" and I don't think we have that.  Richardson is super talented, but extremely raw, with some really bad tendencies.  Those will be exacerbated if we have bad protection, because he's just David Carr syndrome waiting to happen.

If we drafted him, he'd be riding the pine until we get everything situated long, or get him advanced enough mentally to be able to play QB.  Which, if it sounds familiar, is exactly what we needed to do with Malik.  That's what happens with raw QBs, you have to be able to teach them how to be an NFL QB, and there aren't many that can do that.

That could change depending on the OC we hire, but it would still take our first pick to secure Richardson, and then we have to find a left tackle and at least another weapon on Day 2, without addressing the rest of the OL or defensive needs, so he opens up on a team that still has a whole lot of offensive holes.

I just think this is all a bit short-sighted, especially with the takes on the OL. Joe Burrow played behind an abhorrent OL for his first 2 seasons. Now that unit is a strength of the team. (Granted, Joe was destined to be elite regardless of where he landed)

I don't see how we can consider any rookie QB...whether it's Young or Stroud or Richardson or anyone...and be overly worried about how he'd fare behind our OL. Our OL needs to improve regardless. If we had Mahomes or Burrow we'd still need to be improving the OL.

I've been (probably ignorantly and just looking to point fingers) critical of Pat O'Hara in the past, but how can we say if he can/can't help develop a QB? Tanny has played his best ball here. Dobbs was remotely capable after being here for 2 weeks (obv he had a ton of work w/ other coaches prior). He also coached Adam Sandler in "The Longest Yard". Sandler was CLINICAL in that movie.

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I just think this is all a bit short-sighted, especially with the takes on the OL. Joe Burrow played behind an abhorrent OL for his first 2 seasons. Now that unit is a strength of the team. (Granted, Joe was destined to be elite regardless of where he landed)

I don't see how we can consider any rookie QB...whether it's Young or Stroud or Richardson or anyone...and be overly worried about how he'd fare behind our OL. Our OL needs to improve regardless. If we had Mahomes or Burrow we'd still need to be improving the OL.

I've been (probably ignorantly and just looking to point fingers) critical of Pat O'Hara in the past, but how can we say if he can/can't help develop a QB? Tanny has played his best ball here. Dobbs was remotely capable after being here for 2 weeks (obv he had a ton of work w/ other coaches prior). He also coached Adam Sandler in "The Longest Yard". Sandler was CLINICAL in that movie.

Richardson though, explicitly struggles under pressure, from what I've watched.  When things go his way is when he's playing well, but when defenses start to pressure him, especially when they stop his ability to run, he gets worse and worse, and that's why with Richardson, the OL issue is compounded.

And yeah, of course it can be done, but it just makes it harder, and players like Richardson are already lottery tickets.

That's why the only QB I'd consider drafting this year, at all, is Stroud.  He's less risky and isn't a lottery ticket type player, and I think he could thrive under Vrabel and Carthon.  If he was there at 11, I'd be really hard pressed to say no, but if the teams in front of us are smart, he won't make it anywhere close.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 615finest said:

He’s so small but Tank Dell is one of my favorite WRs this year.. he’s so quick and explosive

My homie sent me a highlight tape of Tanks. And this friend NEVER sends me prospect stuff and he was like THIS is what the titans need (His a phins fan so he saw what speed can do for a offense)

And from what Ive see dude is legit

Just odd I keep seeing him pop up. What round is he projected to go cause Ive moved on from picking anything but a LT at 11 

1 minute ago, VY-FTW said:

My homie sent me a highlight tape of Tanks. And this friend NEVER sends me prospect stuff and he was like THIS is what the titans need (His a phins fan so he saw what speed can do for a offense)

And from what Ive see dude is legit

Just odd I keep seeing him pop up. What round is he projected to go cause Ive moved on from picking anything but a LT at 11 

Yea he’s legit! I actually watched Houston games this year to watch him.. I’ve seen him projected anywhere from round 2-4 because of his size. I’d be happy if we drafted him not gone lie