2023 NFL Draft Class

jetsfan4life51

Steve Avila and Sam LaPorta are knocking on first round door now despite there isn't enough information to support that.

I don't know if Avila is now ahead of John Michael Schmitz as number 1 center but he is clearly powerful and athletic to play all positions (faking LT).  That may give him an edge over Schmitz as C but I am not sure about drafting him with intention of C usage.   In panic move, Jets may take Schmitz at 13 or pass on him for somebody lesser.    Tippmann may end up in 1st if both aforementioned C are taken earlier.

Teams with MBS like Steelers, Titans, Patriots or Chiefs may rank Avila as number one OL, followed by Cyrus Torrence or Dawand Jones due to brute character.  Schmitz may be considered as a better than nothing for those team.   If those brute prospects have yet to be drafted after 20 then Jets may have a good chance to sit back and take either Schimtz or Tippmann.  If few taken, Jets may need to trade into 1st round to ensure to have high graded C prospect.

C part may be enticing to witness after top S and LB prospects being potentially pushed out of 1st round.

13 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Steve Avila and Sam LaPorta are knocking on first round door now despite there isn't enough information to support that.

I don't know if Avila is now ahead of John Michael Schmitz as number 1 center but he is clearly powerful and athletic to play all positions (faking LT).  That may give him an edge over Schmitz as C but I am not sure about drafting him with intention of C usage.   In panic move, Jets may take Schmitz at 13 or pass on him for somebody lesser.    Tippmann may end up in 1st if both aforementioned C are taken earlier.

Teams with MBS like Steelers, Titans, Patriots or Chiefs may rank Avila as number one OL, followed by Cyrus Torrence or Dawand Jones due to brute character.  Schmitz may be considered as a better than nothing for those team.   If those brute prospects have yet to be drafted after 20 then Jets may have a good chance to sit back and take either Schimtz or Tippmann.  If few taken, Jets may need to trade into 1st round to ensure to have high graded C prospect.

C part may be enticing to witness after top S and LB prospects being potentially pushed out of 1st round.

I really like JMS, Tippmann and Wypler. I'd be happy drafting any of those guys. Avila is interesting bc he's best at G, but for sure can play C. They very well might have him rated right behind JMS and ahead of the other natural Cs like Tip and Wyp. I don't think they do though. If anyone has the best versatility in that group for me it's Tipp. He's a 6'6" C. So he can easily slide to G if needed to at that size. Another X factor that I could see shake out is if Skoronski is there at 13. He can play anywhere on the OL. Yes I think he can even play at C. So that versality for the OL with him would be huge. It wouldn't be wasting our 1st rounder if we drafted him and hope he takes over at OT or OG one day. But to put our best 5 out there he starts at C. Wouldn't bet on this is an option. Just something to think about. 

On 4/6/2023 at 3:47 PM, JetsandI said:

Jalen Carter only visits with top 10 teams?  It is evident that he tries hard to convince them for top 10 money.   Good Luck!

I think his agent is trying to bait teams to trade up or ****** him when he falls so he doesn't slide outside the top 20. This guy must be an absolute train wreck for the plan to hinge on leaving teams blind.

23 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

According to the GBND Report the C position is deep. However if you look at Walters F.B. and check out who the Jets have been having workouts with the one name that is listed in every category is JMS. Some mocks even have him being picked in the end of the first round. 

My take on this draft is that the Jets would like to have some more draft capitol and I can see them drafting back. I am in the minority when it comes to T, as I don't think they will draft one in round 1. Instead I see them drafting a DT/NT to further anchor the DL. 

I could also see them drafting down with GB 15 for the Jets 13th and a 2nd rounder for AR and calling it a day.

I like the Moore trade, with the exception that they gave up a 3rd rounder. But if you have a cancer in the body you have to get rid of it. 

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I really like JMS, Tippmann and Wypler. I'd be happy drafting any of those guys. Avila is interesting bc he's best at G, but for sure can play C. They very well might have him rated right behind JMS and ahead of the other natural Cs like Tip and Wyp. I don't think they do though. If anyone has the best versatility in that group for me it's Tipp. He's a 6'6" C. So he can easily slide to G if needed to at that size. Another X factor that I could see shake out is if Skoronski is there at 13. He can play anywhere on the OL. Yes I think he can even play at C. So that versality for the OL with him would be huge. It wouldn't be wasting our 1st rounder if we drafted him and hope he takes over at OT or OG one day. But to put our best 5 out there he starts at C. Wouldn't bet on this is an option. Just something to think about. 

In that case, Avila offers more value.   Avila has Center IQ and is able to play RT.  Skoronski needs to have seasonings to pick up the IQ despite him from NW.

31 minutes ago, Big T said:

According to the GBND Report the C position is deep. However if you look at Walters F.B. and check out who the Jets have been having workouts with the one name that is listed in every category is JMS. Some mocks even have him being picked in the end of the first round. 

My take on this draft is that the Jets would like to have some more draft capitol and I can see them drafting back. I am in the minority when it comes to T, as I don't think they will draft one in round 1. Instead I see them drafting a DT/NT to further anchor the DL. 

I could also see them drafting down with GB 15 for the Jets 13th and a 2nd rounder for AR and calling it a day.

I like the Moore trade, with the exception that they gave up a 3rd rounder. But if you have a cancer in the body you have to get rid of it. 

Visit list isn't complete so we won't know 100 pct.   

35 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think his agent is trying to bait teams to trade up or ****** him when he falls so he doesn't slide outside the top 20. This guy must be an absolute train wreck for the plan to hinge on leaving teams blind.

Carter wants top 10 money so he focuses on top 10 teams.  After that, he will suck it up and accept non top 10 money; it doesn't matter which team.

Safety rankings are all over the place.  I think we can grab someone in the 4th-5th who can be a starter by the end of the year or easily year 2. I've seen mocks with Smith and Skinner going Day 3 and the Safeties who are going early are S/Nickel hybrids.  I want a true safety.

I really want Dee Winters on Day 3 I think he'd be a great LB here.  If Sherwood has bulked up and can take on blockers in the run game then we can let Winters fly all over the place.

24 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Safety rankings are all over the place.  I think we can grab someone in the 4th-5th who can be a starter by the end of the year or easily year 2. I've seen mocks with Smith and Skinner going Day 3 and the Safeties who are going early are S/Nickel hybrids.  I want a true safety.

I really want Dee Winters on Day 3 I think he'd be a great LB here.  If Sherwood has bulked up and can take on blockers in the run game then we can let Winters fly all over the place.

Smith would be a steal on Day 3.

18 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Marte Mapu could be CB, FS, SS, WLB for Saleh.  

I think versatile guys are overrated, when do they ever workout that way? Let’s find a guy good at one position. I kind of feel that way with OL. Draft the best tackle, not someone who can fall back on Guard. 

Having someone like AVT who was drafted to be a Guard but can play Tackle is great. But Guard can be drafted later, I’d rather a big, athletic LT who’s only position is LT. If Skoronski doesn’t work out sure he can play LG and we have a great interior but then we are potentially f’ed at Tackle and it won’t matter. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I think versatile guys are overrated, when do they ever workout that way? Let’s find a guy good at one position. I kind of feel that way with OL. Draft the best tackle, not someone who can fall back on Guard. 

Having someone like AVT who was drafted to be a Guard but can play Tackle is great. But Guard can be drafted later, I’d rather a big, athletic LT who’s only position is LT. If Skoronski doesn’t work out sure he can play LG and we have a great interior but then we are potentially f’ed at Tackle and it won’t matter. 

Versatility along the OL is very much a plus.  We should know, we have had to utilize that versatility way too much.  I also think the OL is one place where moving from OT to OG is not as big a change as moving from FS to WLB.  Skoronski is also widely considered the best OT this year.  Having him being able to play iOL is a plus, not a requirement.  It has also been reported that Paris can play iOL.

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I partially agree.   As for high pick, they better have plan for certain position.   Versatile guy may be good for plan b or c and saving a spot on the roster.