2023 NFL Draft Class

jetsfan4life51

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think you have to run to the podium if Carter drops to 13.  He's a top 3-5 talent in this draft.  A beast of a DT who can play 3 downs like Q.  He's not just a run guy or just a pass rusher.  

It would make our DL elite if he got his act together.

Sorry, I fell.

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think you have to run to the podium if Carter drops to 13.  He's a top 3-5 talent in this draft.  A beast of a DT who can play 3 downs like Q.  He's not just a run guy or just a pass rusher.  

It would make our DL elite if he got his act together.

I don’t know man. What does JD value? Character. Carter isn’t a high character guy. And even look at our guys that have panned out the way we would like under JD. It had a lot to do with their character. So yes form a strictly skill set standpoint yes he’s a no brained at 13. But NFL is a lot more than just being big and skilled. I’d rather see us go OL there and then use our 2nd on Mazi Smith if there. 

Center group for draft is interesting.   A lot of 23-24 years old prospects.  Luke Wypler is presumed as the youngest center at 22 (May) on week 1. John Michael Schmitz is the oldest of draftable centers.

Juice Scruggs is unknown but he was in PSU for 5 years. Ricky Stromberg will turn 23 in November. Both may start full time in 2024.

Joe Tippmann just turned 22. He can start right away but too tall for my liking. I don't know what are JD and his department thinking.

Schmitz is 24 but his football IQ and toughness makes him fire sure starter by week 1.  1st round grade? I see that but NFL thinks otherwise?

Taking Schmitz or Tippmann if you are looking for an immediate starting Center.  Stromberg can be an understudy for Ben Jones in 2023.

Many Centers become sound at 25-27 years old so age isn't concerned but we need a sound center now.

Edited by JetsandI

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Center group for draft is interesting.   A lot of 23-24 years old prospects.  Luke Wypler is presumed as the youngest center at 22 (May) on week 1. John Michael Schmitz is the oldest of draftable centers.

Juice Scruggs is unknown but he was in PSU for 5 years. Ricky Stromberg will turn 23 in November. Both may start full time in 2024.

Joe Tippmann just turned 22. He can start right away but too tall for my liking. I don't know what are JD and his department thinking.

Schmitz is 24 but his football IQ and toughness makes him fire sure starter by week 1.  1st round grade? I see that but NFL thinks otherwise?

Taking Schmitz or Tippmann if you are looking for an immediate starting Center.  Stromberg can be an understudy for Ben Jones in 2023.

Many Centers become sound at 25-27 years old so age isn't concerned but we need a sound center now.

The top 3-4 Cs are all very smart and leaders. Calling stuff at the line and such. Qualities JD loves. I think with confidence I can say JMS, Tillman or Wypier will be a Jet

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The top 3-4 Cs are all very smart and leaders. Calling stuff at the line and such. Qualities JD loves. I think with confidence I can say JMS, Tillman or Wypier will be a Jet

Jets aren't high on Wypler.   I don't get it.

Also, you think Mazi Smith won't be taken in 1st?   I do think he will.

Edited by JetsandI

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Jets aren't high on Wypler.   I don't get it.

Also, you think Mazi Smith won't be taken in 1st?   I do think he will.

He very well could be. If he’s there though at 42 and we go OL at 13. I’d love to add him.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 8:24 AM, Big T said:

What being the case If a blue chip RB falls into their lap and considering that B.H. may or not be his old self do you pass on a guy like Bijan R. ? What if one of the top DE/DT falls further than expected or do you wait and grab a T/C in round 2?

With Carter/Knight still in the mix I don't think there's anyway that you can invest a FRP into another RB.

Here's an interesting question, Can JD and Co. replicate last years draft? Daunting as it may be, here is the crux of if JD has the goods as a GM. 

Who can you draft that will make an impact with the little draft capitol you have. If JD and Co. can draft lights out again, it will go a long way in establishing his credentials as a top GM.

We can only wait and see.

13 minutes ago, Big T said:

Here's an interesting question, Can JD and Co. replicate last years draft? Daunting as it may be, here is the crux of if JD has the goods as a GM. 

Who can you draft that will make an impact with the little draft capitol you have. If JD and Co. can draft lights out again, it will go a long way in establishing his credentials as a top GM.

This year is quite a challenge for him with or without acquiring Rodgers.

My top DT draftboard for Jets.  You need to remember that Jets run one gap defense so pass rushing remains number one.  If Jets decides to add run stuffer then they can do it during post 4th round portion, UDFA or even SFA. As for my list I try to find pass rusher with run stuffing ability.

Please be noted that it has nothing to do with NFL draft grades.

1. Jalen Carter.  I have to put him there for viewers but I would have him after Bresee.

2. Keeanu Benton. Had played 2 gap for Badgers but that isn't recommended for him at next level.

3. Bryan Bresee. One of Tigers that had down year in 2022.  Run stuffing is a work in progress.

4. Jaquelin Roy. Need to work on finishing for all.

5. Zaach Pickens.  Played in 2 gap scheme hurts his draft value. 

6. Gervon Dexter.  Solid run stopper with excellent speed numbers.  His pass rushing is not ready now.

7. Jacob Slade. Despite being big time athletic, he has no understanding of techniques.

Run stopper with ability to collapse qb pocket.

1. Mazi Smith. Prototypical 3-4 Nose with solid athleticism.  Need to work on hand usage to be efficient.

2. Siaki Ika.  2 down Nose for now but he is good at hand usage and short area quickness.

3. Jerrod Clark. Small school prospect.  His penetrating ability is far from ready at the moment.

I am sure there are more DTs to be pondered over but I have 10 prospects already so Jets have plenty options to fill out DT room.  It is all up to Jets for their (prospects) value in real life.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Probably not. But it looks like he landed two perrenial All-Pros with the Jets two top 10 picks last year, that's one of the greatest hauls ever at the top of the draft.