2023 NFL Draft Class

jetsfan4life51

47 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Do we add an OL for protection?

Absolutely.  A QB's best friend is his OL.  Drafting a day 1 OT to compete with Becton and then a day 2 iOL (depending on FA) is the way to go.  We can then post June 1 cut Brown saving some $ and roll with rookie, Becton and Mitchell at OT.  I suspect we will look into FA OC's and resign Herbig.  If that is the case, we can forego drafting a day 2 iOL.  I'd still address it on day 3 though.  OL is the biggest hole besides QB.  The Jets have been trying but it hasn't worked yet.  It is time to hedge our bets and fix this damn thing.

It is hard to develop a draft strategy at this point. In football, free agency happens before the draft not after, so the focus is on veterans first. 

We definitely need help on the offensive and defensive lines, safety and linebacker. But who are we losing and who are we signing in free agency? For me, that determines the direction of the 13th pick. We can casually say, "just take the best player available" but the Jets are not in that position right now. Organizationally, they are going all in. So for me, the 13th pick (if we still have it and are not forced to send it to GB for Rodgers) should be a player from one of those needs that we did not address in free agency.

There is also the possibility that we may not be able to do much in free agency if we bring in Aaron Rodgers' contract. Personally, I would like to add a center like Jake Brendel, a safety like Jimmie Ward and bring back Quincy Williams at least (and possibly Kwon Alexander on a restructured contract). 

Also, who are we releasing to bring in Rodgers? I assume Lawson, Davis and Berrios will be released. Anyone else?

These are exciting times!

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

It is hard to develop a draft strategy at this point. In football, free agency happens before the draft not after, so the focus is on veterans first. 

We definitely need help on the offensive and defensive lines, safety and linebacker. But who are we losing and who are we signing in free agency? For me, that determines the direction of the 13th pick. We can casually say, "just take the best player available" but the Jets are not in that position right now. Organizationally, they are going all in. So for me, the 13th pick (if we still have it and are not forced to send it to GB for Rodgers) should be a player from one of those needs that we did not address in free agency.

There is also the possibility that we may not be able to do much in free agency if we bring in Aaron Rodgers' contract. Personally, I would like to add a center like Jake Brendel, a safety like Jimmie Ward and bring back Quincy Williams at least (and possibly Kwon Alexander on a restructured contract). 

Also, who are we releasing to bring in Rodgers? I assume Lawson, Davis and Berrios will be released. Anyone else?

These are exciting times!

Yup talking the draft with a huge trade looming is rather pointless. We have no clue what picks we'll have.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Let’s say we get Rodgers for a 2nd+. How does that affect the draft? Do we go for instant impact?

Do we add an OL for protection? Brown is back maybe they wait a year for another high pick at Tackle. Do we go another weapon? Do we get a starter on defense? 

EDIT- and is the FO consulting Rodgers about playing with a rookie LT or WR?

OL & DL wins championships.

Just now, KimuraGod said:

God I had a flashback a certain someone was back then!! 😂😂😂😂

He's not wrong though! Lol.

Look at all the past recent winners, they were able to protect the QB and get to the QB... trenches still reign supreme.

3 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

He's not wrong though! Lol.

Look at all the past recent winners, they were able to protect the QB and get to the QB... trenches still reign supreme.

Haha I know I’m only kidding. 

Yeah I think our GM believes in that philosophy for sure so I think more resources in both lines will be addressed again this offseason. 

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I like him a lot as a prospect. I would look to move down 8-10 spots if we wanted to go with him. The interior OL was dreadful when AVT went down last year. I would be very happy with this pick if we moved down. At 13 seems like an overdraft. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I like him a lot as a prospect. I would look to move down 8-10 spots if we wanted to go with him. The interior OL was dreadful when AVT went down last year. I would be very happy with this pick if we moved down. At 13 seems like an overdraft. 

I heard top 10 is not out of reach for him.  That is why I recheck him out.  I still favor Mauch or Wright if we are addressing OL.

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I’d love to get him even at 13 if Skoronski is gone. We need more Irishmen in the NFL. 

22 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yup talking the draft with a huge trade looming is rather pointless. We have no clue what picks we'll have.

I would have to agree with you, but if the rumors are true and the Jets are taking on the contract and in effect minimize the draft compensation it may only cost the Jets a #2/3 this year and perhaps a #4 or so next year depending on if AR has an MVP year and or the Jets get to the SB in the next few years.

But in any case, I would like to see the Jets move back, recoup whatever draft capitol they might give up.

IMHO