2023 NFL Draft Class

jetsfan4life51

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So did a deep dive this morning while spacing out on the treadmill this morning on the OTs. 

And here's my rankings and brief breakdown of each one.

1. Paris Johnson: Plug and play OT can play LT or RT could even be moved inside to OG. But should be able to start over Brown and be an anchor for a decade for us. For me he's hands down the best all around OLineman in this draft. If he's there at 13, you send this pick in ASAP.

2. Peter Skoronski: He reminds me of Andrew Thomas a few drafts ago. A guy that has a very high floor, but ceiling is likely never going to be an elite OT. Just a very very good OT. He also has a lot of flexibility liker AVT where he might be better at OG, but 100% can play both. With Tomlinson not looking good last year... having a guy that can start possibly at OT as a rookie and if we wanted to move them to LG next year is a nice option. He's very well rounded in the run and passing game. Also a very safe pick.

3. Darnell Wright: Yes I have him ahead of Jones. And that's like the others... his floor for me is a lot higher than that of Jones. For me at minimum you get a very good starter at RT with Wright. Has all the tools, with good coaching can fix some of that rawness he's got in trying to bully guys. That will leave him exposed in the NFL. Better to be technical than just big and strong.

4. Broderick Jones: Jones for me might have the highest upside of all of these guys. But lacks some technical ability as of yet. He's a smart player, so i think he can be coached and very well could be one of the best if not the best OT in this class. He's probably the most athletic of the bunch and has great size. He reminds me of DBrick quite a bit. And I think we would all take 10 years of that again. The floor for me with Jones is just a bit lower than the other 3. So that's why I have him 4th.

At the end of the day... I'd be ecstatic of we got any one of these 4 guys. I don't dislike any of them to be honest. If anyone remembers I didn't want us to draft Becton. Bc I thought too many were getting caught up on his size, mobility and film. I wanted Wirfs actually. But I don't not want us to draft any one of these 4 guys.

Been thinking about the Jones-D’Brick comparison as well. I think Brick was presumed the highest floor and safest pick, Jones the opposite with the highest upside, but could end up having the same career arc as Brick. Struggle rookie year then get better every year and be an all time great Jet. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Been thinking about the Jones-D’Brick comparison as well. I think Brick was presumed the highest floor and safest pick, Jones the opposite with the highest upside, but could end up having the same career arc as Brick. Struggle rookie year then get better every year and be an all time great Jet. 

100% I totally see the Brick comparison. Big difference between the 2 is even though they have similar body types. Jones has the weight and Brick didn't. That's what some were worried about with him at OT. He did just fine obviously. But Brick was already technically gifted. Jones is a bit raw technical wise. With OLineman technique is so much. So it's not saying Jones isn't good. It's that he needs to work on it. He's a smart kid, so he very well could grasp it very fast and be great ASAP.

He actually right now would be my bet on who we take at 13.

I’d rather take his lumps than take Brown’s lumps. Him and Paris Johnson are a toss up for me, I’d love both. Shying away from Skoronski but obviously wouldn’t be upset in the slightest if we draft him. Wish we had Ben Jones so we weren’t forced to draft a Center in Round 2. Plenty of depth. 

Also if the Jets trade for Rodgers predraft (unless it only involves swapping 13 and 15), I think it’s a major fail. We already made it this far, make your picks this year. 

Final Mock?

1) Broderick Jones

2a) John Michael Schmitz

2b) Keanu Benton

4) Christopher Smith (is he realistically there though?) /Ji’Ayir Brown/Daniel Scott

5) Dee Winters

6) Isaiah Land

First two picks need to be starters, OL play all the snaps. Next we need a beefy NT, Benton fills that and doesn’t have to worry about starting full time. Then we add three more rotational pieces at each level of defense. Winters and Smith playing significant snaps by the end of the year. 

This is my ideal mock but I think the Jets grab a WR at some point. If they love Tony Adams maybe they skip on Safety. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

If we get AR and he plays for 2 years and the Jets make deep playoff runs they will not have a chance at a QB.

QB's can be found all over the draft board.  The hit rate on high FRP QB's is not a whole lot better than late FRP's or day 2 picks.  The trick is to have a decent OL and a weapon or two.  Also a coaching staff that will actually develop him at his own rate and not just thrust him into the spotlight.  Furthermore, a FO and owner that has patience.

Picking a QB at 13 this year is not the best use of resources.  Draft a day 3 QB and see where that goes.

25 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Jalen Carter falls to 13. Is he worth the risk?

In all honesty I don't even know if we have Carter on our board. Look at the guys JD drafts. High character guys. Carter doesn't fit that. Arrested and poor work ethic.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

In all honesty I don't even know if we have Carter on our board. Look at the guys JD drafts. High character guys. Carter doesn't fit that. Arrested and poor work ethic.

Becton has had an attitude problem. GW and Elijah throw/threw temper tantrums lol. Mims is over his head as a professional. Zach is entitled and never worked for the job. Wouldn’t really say he’s targeted high character guys lol. 

EDIT- I'm hearing Michael Carter deleted all of his Jets stuff on IG when Moore was traded? Or at least was vocal about being unhappy?  It's really AVT who has been the choir boy in our top picks, Sauce as well.  Sauce and Wilson are allowed to have an attitude because they are that good.

Edited by jetsfan4life51

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Becton has had an attitude problem. GW and Elijah throw/threw temper tantrums lol. Mims is over his head as a professional. Zach is entitled and never worked for the job. Wouldn’t really say he’s targeted high character guys lol. 

EDIT- I'm hearing Michael Carter deleted all of his Jets stuff on IG when Moore was traded? Or at least was vocal about being unhappy?  It's really AVT who has been the choir boy in our top picks, Sauce as well.  Sauce and Wilson are allowed to have an attitude because they are that good.

None of them were issues pre draft. Sometimes you can do all the scouting and digging you can. But guys change once they have money and get told by others what they should do. Really no blueprint to that yet.

But drafting a guy already with an arrest and poor work ethic isn’t something JD has ever done and I wouldn’t expect him to do.

Ill stand by that he might not even be on our board 

• Like 1

Becton has attitude?  That is new to me.

Anyway, Nobody knows what will come out of kids when they turn pro but JD may be shy away from prospects with public records or obvious traits.

WR is hard because they are prone to whining as ***.  

We don't see an issue in Sauce because he is an efficient player now. You have to wonder whether or not he will suffer some meltdown once he struggles or whatever.  

Being good player doesn't necessarily warrant attitude or behavior. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Becton has attitude?  That is new to me.

Anyway, Nobody knows what will come out of kids when they turn pro but JD may be shy away from prospects with public records or obvious traits.

WR is hard because they are prone to whining as ***.  

We don't see an issue in Sauce because he is an efficient player now. You have to wonder whether or not he will suffer some meltdown once he struggles or whatever.  

Being good player doesn't necessarily warrant attitude or behavior. 

Agreed. You really don’t want any me 1st guys on your team. I do think for a WR it can be hard at times. Because if they have poor QB play and are open quite a bit and just not getting the ball. That’s frustrating. Bc on the surface it seems like they’re just selfish. But in reality they just want the ball to help the team. They are the only position on the field that have very little control over their success.

But back on topic. Carter I will 100% admit is a great player. And actually guys what we like to do great. His stamina is an issue, which wouldn’t be a huge issue for us. Bc we rotate DTs anyway. But his arrest and poor work ethic isn’t a question. It’s a fact. And JD isn’t drafting that for a win now team. Don’t need a young rotational player being an issue. I also don’t think DT is a huge valuable position for us. Q isn’t going anywhere. We don’t need a star next to him. He is our star. 

19 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Jalen Carter falls to 13. Is he worth the risk?

I would take the shot. For the first time in years, I'm starting to feel like we're becoming a team that is creating the right environment for a player like him. His situation isn't the average. Was racing stupid? Yes, but he wasn't drinking or high. It sounds like a young dude who took things too far and learned a horrible lesson the hard way. He didn't even hit them. If I have any concerns, it's the kid's mental support around him. So yes, I would take the shot. 

reports coming out that the 49ers are getting calls asking about Lance. I never liked the guy coming out and thought it was crazy he was a first round grade. He sat out his last year of college and went against VERY poor D his jr year. Then the 49ers traded away so much for him. He was then hurt and never really got on the field. So he has been sitting for 3 years and for me that is not good at all. This could be a draft day deal. 

Just now, jetfuel34 said:

reports coming out that the 49ers are getting calls asking about Lance. I never liked the guy coming out and thought it was crazy he was a first round grade. He sat out his last year of college and went against VERY poor D his jr year. Then the 49ers traded away so much for him. He was then hurt and never really got on the field. So he has been sitting for 3 years and for me that is not good at all. This could be a draft day deal. 

I'd rather have AR by a mile, but I guess it's a reasonable plan B if the compensation is a second or less. No matter what, the Jets can't have Zach slotted as the #1 going into camp.