The Good, the Bad, we're in the WIN COLUMN vs. Broncos (Post-game Chat)

RaidersAreOne

58 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Gotta develop a killer instinct and keep the foot on their neck and put teams away with tds not fgs. 

1 TD instead of a FG in weeks 1-3, and each game likely plays out far differently. 

FGs are nice when you have a lead and a drive stalls, as will happen, or when you're down 1-3 points. 

They're meaningless fluff if they become your most common method of scoring, and will lose out in the long run. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

He’s good but certainly not worth paying 10M a year to. 

6-7m. 

I'd probably throw 8 if we could lock him up. 

However, he's had almost as many underwhelming years as he's had great games. 

That said, I don't mind a dice roll..... except he's a RB. He's looked fantastic this year, but we've seen him go through long spells of nagging injuries. RBs in general just aren't usually worth a major investment. 

Hopefully we can see more of White as the year goes on to better gauge just how reliant our run game is on Jacobs. 

If White doesn't show something worth replacing Jacobs with, I'd be cool with giving the proven commodity some dough to stay and rolling with Jacobs/White/Brown* going forward and trimming the fat. 

If White shows enough, Jacobs has never been an irreplaceable part of the offense (ie: better games from Booker a few years ago, lack of elite RB traits, etc) to the degree you overpay him, especially for the position. 

It would've been nice to have seen this version of Jacobs over the last 2 seasons or so and already committed to him, but the reality is we didn't. For whatever reason- scheme, skill, supporting cast, motivation, health- it's just not how it played out with him. 

all around great team win

Jacobs -MVP

O-line Great

Defense great

Carr finally using his legs to run for 1st downs 

Coach McDaniels having team focused to win

Chandler Jones and Crosby causing havoc 

Defense scoring points

Bad: Redzone offense. Losing teams trade 7s for 3s

Wouldve like to see our redzone D hold them to FGs with Den struggling so much there this season, but they did enough for sure. 
Same as last year, when teams pick up a first down or two, they normally turn into long drives. 
Or our D comes up with big 3 and out. 

Redzone O and redzone D are killing us. 

56 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

all around great team win

Jacobs -MVP

O-line Great

Defense great

Carr finally using his legs to run for 1st downs 

Coach McDaniels having team focused to win

Chandler Jones and Crosby causing havoc 

Defense scoring points

Bad: Redzone offense. Losing teams trade 7s for 3s

I can’t say enough how I loved watching carr run. Without those I don’t think we win this game. They were soo clutch. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

RBs grow on trees and their shelf life isn't great. Unless you have a special talent, don't pay top dollar for one. 

Agreed. The whole purpose of a new contract is to pay for future, not past, production. Jacobs is really good when he is healthy but the reality is that he has questionable durability, average long speed, and a style that will not age well. Also, the track record of RB’s on their second contracts is not good. I’d much rather let him walk and draft a RB in the 3rd/4th to compete with Zamir next year (similar to the strategy of the Bills, Jets, etc.). Then our RB room will be set for several years at a very low cost against the cap. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I can’t say enough how I loved watching carr run. Without those I don’t think we win this game. They were soo clutch. 

Agreed. The defense gameplan for the Broncos  literally never had a spy ever

The way NFL defense is played now QBs can’t be solely pocket passers anymore. They are basically going extinct.

They have to manipulate the pocket and be a threat to run. 

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

1 TD instead of a FG in weeks 1-3, and each game likely plays out far differently. 

FGs are nice when you have a lead and a drive stalls, as will happen, or when you're down 1-3 points. 

They're meaningless fluff if they become your most common method of scoring, and will lose out in the long run. 

The only reason to play football is to dominate the person in front of you.

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

He's not slow so he's good at it when he actually does it 

I gotta say, though, some of his runs are Peyton level ugly in technique lol.

He's far more athletic than people often assume, especially more athletic than Peyton, he just looks awkward running sometimes. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

He's far more athletic than people often assume, especially more athletic than Peyton, he just looks awkward running sometimes. 

He gets stuck not knowing what to do.  Same as when the play breaks down.  If he is decisive and takes care of the ball he looks good running.  He looks horrible when he is not.  That is also how he got his back broken in 2017.

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Because he's indecisive. He needs to know how to commit. He's 31 now for goodness sake.