MNF: Rams @ 49ers

Manny/Patrick

On 10/4/2022 at 5:06 PM, FinSting said:

DC Saleh leaves SF to be Jets HC and yet the 49ers defense doesn't miss a beat.

What's going on? All us #31 ranked pass defense teams are jealous. 

Ryans is proving to be a great DC and last I checked, Nick Bosa, Fred Warner etc did not go to NY with Saleh lol.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:06 AM, FinSting said:

DC Saleh leaves SF to be Jets HC and yet the 49ers defense doesn't miss a beat.

What's going on? All us #31 ranked pass defense teams are jealous. 

What Ryans did last year with Verrett missing basically the entire season, Mosley missing half the season, shaky rookies Lenoir and Thomas, and the corpse of Josh Norman making up the secondary was remarkable. That shouldn't have worked at all. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 7:14 PM, Broncofan said:

I said after Week 1 I wasn't worried about the Rams.  Well, I'm really worried now.   I thought it would take time for the OL to gel, but once it did - systems full-go.

But, here's the problem:

1.   They're down 3 more positions on the OL and down to their 3rd/4th guy on the Week 1 depth chart at 2 of those spots.  That's a crippling loss of talent and it totally neuters the run/pass game ceiling as a result.

2.  Cam Akers has NO juice...and he's missing blocking assigmnments.   Darrell Henderson needs to be the bellcow - but if you make him the bellcow, he'll break.   But he's the 70+ percent snap guy.

3.  Worse, Allen Robinson isn't washed - but he's lost a key amount of vertical separation ability.   He separates in the short-middle area, but that's EXACTLY where Kupp dominates.   So it's not been a great fit.

On D, without David Long, the Rams secondary just doesn't work without pressure, and with no Von Miller, the OL can take Aaron Donald away by double/tripling him.

For all the talk on Stafford's struggles - there are literally 3-4 QB's who could survive the above issues.  Stafford survived some subpar OL play, but this is Bears OL-level badness we're seeing.   And unless your name starts with Patrick, Josh or Justin....well, struggles are going to dominate.   The problem is that there's no quick fix here for the Rams, both on O and on D.

As for the 49ers, maestro D performance, and great gameplan by Kyle Shanahan.   I would point out JimmyG was again the only reason the Rams hung around - even on the Deebo TD, JimmyG tried to get him killed.  And he missed wide open guys and wide open reads (Juice TD) that would have had them comfortably ahead.   Still, he did enough - but that's why it's hard to be optimistic on SF's chances in January - but also why I still had them pegged at 1-3 as making the playoffs after last week's loss (with less room to falter, obv).  Nothing's changed there.    And b4 anyone suggests I'm being revisionist - the Weekly Bets thread had me taking a high-confidence bet on SF ML well before the game started.

Ironically as long as LAR addresses the OL and gets a 2nd vertical / deep area WR to threaten the secondary - they'll be good to go for 2023.   But for 2022, you have to like the 49ers to take the NFCW here (SEA much respect for maxing out limited talent, but it's a mirage, and well, ARI, so many problems to fix overall, and good teams really can neutralize them).

1. OL will get mostly healthy in the next few weeks.

2. Disagree on Akers. He's looking better and better.

3. Troy Hill is far more important to our defense than David Long. If we had Ramsey, Hill, and Kendrick at CB, I'd feel pretty good.

4. Before you write SF in as division champs, you need to remember that they're already down Lance, and Jimmy is notoriously fragile.

17 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Still very happy about this game. You seen LAR’s points per game rankings? They’re 29th!!

Don’t worry, we’ve been told on here that Robinson needs more time before we judge him, and that he’s currently the league’s best possession receiver. We’ve also been told to not put any stock in their week 1 fiasco. And a poster also stated we can’t read into their loss to 49ers because it’s a weird divisional rivalry where anything can happen. And we can’t read into the Stafford elbow “injury” because he’s tough. And we shouldn’t worry about them losing Whitworth because Noteboom played good in small sample size. No issues to see here as there’s an excuse around every corner. Best .500 team ever.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

4. Before you write SF in as division champs, you need to remember that they're already down Lance, and Jimmy is notoriously fragile.

It's okay, I've been told by multiple people that Brock Purdy is better than Jimmy G! So when Jimmy G does inevitably get hurt again, we will be upgrading at the QB position!!!!! The league is in trouble once Purdy hits the field! 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's okay, I've been told my multiple people that Brock Purdy is better than Jimmy G! So when Jimmy G does inevitably get hurt again, we will be upgrading at the QB position!!!!! The league is in trouble once Purdy hits the field! 

You got yourself a Purdy backup, my friend.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 4:01 AM, jrry32 said:

1. OL will get mostly healthy in the next few weeks.

2. Disagree on Akers. He's looking better and better.

3. Troy Hill is far more important to our defense than David Long. If we had Ramsey, Hill, and Kendrick at CB, I'd feel pretty good.

Nothing to see here, Rams are still elite 

11 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Nothing to see here, Rams are still elite 

Not elite but you do realize the Niners swept the Rams in the regular season and did it in dominating fashion at least once in both 2018 and 2021 season. Rams went to the Superbowl both seasons. So as a Rams fan I don’t take too much from the Niners game. In the same way I’m sure Bucs fans don’t take too much from the Saints game. Just bad matchup that we just hope not to see in the playoffs.

In short I think the Rams will be fine. Get healthy come playoff time and I think the Rams will have just as good enough shot in the NFC as anyone else. Last season when the Rams lost three straight their was some who actually thought the Rams might miss the playoffs. 

On 10/9/2022 at 10:05 PM, stl4life07 said:

Not elite but you do realize the Niners swept the Rams in the regular season and did it in dominating fashion at least once in both 2018 and 2021 season. Rams went to the Superbowl both seasons. So as a Rams fan I don’t take too much from the Niners game. In the same way I’m sure Bucs fans don’t take too much from the Saints game. Just bad matchup that we just hope not to see in the playoffs.

In short I think the Rams will be fine. Get healthy come playoff time and I think the Rams will have just as good enough shot in the NFC as anyone else. Last season when the Rams lost three straight their was some who actually thought the Rams might miss the playoffs. 

I know you think the Rams will be fine. Definitely got that.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:05 PM, stl4life07 said:

The 49ers lost twice to the Rams in 2018. They did sweep them in 2019 and 2020 though. One year you guys missed the playoffs and another year you guys lost in the divisional round. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The 49ers lost twice to the Rams in 2018. They did sweep them in 2019 and 2020 though. One year you guys missed the playoffs and another year you guys lost in the divisional round. 

You are right I dont know why I thought the Niners swept the Rams in 2018 lol. I guess bc it feels like every year the Niners have swept the Rams.

10 hours ago, BigTrav said:

I know you think the Rams will be fine. Definitely got that.

Bc we will be fine long term. Right now we arent in a good place but I dont see why come December the Rams wont be right there at the very least in the wildcard picture if not at the top of the NFCW division.

Did not the Niners come into last season as one of the favs and start (2-3)? As a matter of fact they lost three straight then had the BYE and lost two of the next three. So technically they started off (3-5) and it took them getting hot and doing something nobody has ever done which was beat McVay when he has a halftime lead. It took all of that just for the Niners to sneak into the playoffs. Then they became the most dangerous team in the playoffs. They beat Dallas, then beat Green Bay, and had a 10pt 4th quarter lead against the Rams. Had they won they more than likely wouldve beaten the Bengals in the Superbowl. So that team again started (2-3) just like the Rams and lost four straight and left for dead.

So again talk to me in December bc I want to see this Rams team get healthy on the OL, get their WR2 and WR3 back in Van and hopefully OBJ then get some of their guys in the secondary back in Long, Hill, and Fuller. Not to mention I want to see if Les is going to try to make a move before the trading deadline. Maybe add another pass rusher like he did with Von last season or in 2018 with Fowler Jr. Maybe he go out and get a back like Hunt bc Akers and Henderson arent getting the job done on the ground. So I just want to wait and see but I wont truly panic unless this team is still playing like they are now mid to late November into December. If they are then Ill say BigTrav and others was right lol.