Who will be King in the North?

vike daddy

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Four games in:

MINN 3-1   (Division 2-1, Conference 3-1)
GB 3-1        (D 1-1, C 2-1)
CHI 2-2      (D 0-1, C 1-2)
Det 1-3       (D 0-1, C 1-3)

Who can last? Who can improve?

MN will sustain (May come down to the game at  Lambeau Field on January 1, 2023). If we take care of business, we should maintain ‘King in the North’ status. 

GB will sustain 

CHI will not last

DET can improve 

Edited by marshpit23
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Have the FOs that Kwesi has been a part of taken big swings to improve the team mid-season? O'Connell has seen first hand what it looks like to bring in difference makers with draft capital before the trade deadline.

The problem is that we don't have cap space to make those type of moves. We don't have many ways to create that kind of cap space either. 

Right now, a really good CB or D-lineman would seem to be the biggest upgrade we could make to help the team. There just doesn't seem to be one we could afford.

yeah, I know there's serious cap limitations, but money can be found. I wouldn't be a fan of that kind of move, I'm just curious to know if it's likely for this new regime.

I think it'll come down to health and the rest of the divisional games this year.

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

The problem is that we don't have cap space to make those type of moves. We don't have many ways to create that kind of cap space either. 

Right now, a really good CB or D-lineman would seem to be the biggest upgrade we could make to help the team. There just doesn't seem to be one we could afford.

Give Kirk a lifetime extension to create cap space

• Like 1

As expected, it will come down to the Vikings and Packers.  I fully expect a split with the Packers, so it'll just come down to where the wins and losses occur elsewhere, as they both mostly play the same teams at the same places just in a different order.  Hell, the difference may just be their games against the Rams and Titans and ours against the Cardinals and Colts.  

Through four weeks of the season, the Vikings have the 13th hardest schedule in the NFL and the hardest in the NFC North, according to Pro Football Focus. But even with the 13th hardest schedule, the Vikings find themselves first in the NFC North and second in the NFC, only behind the Philadelphia Eagles (their only loss). So how does this make them the new favorites of the NFC North?

Well, they are 3-1, and their remaining schedule is ranked as the 3rd easiest for the remainder of the year. In addition to the easiest schedule, the Vikings are already off to a 2-0 record at home and within the division.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/10/4/23387623/should-the-vikings-now-be-nfc-north-favorites?fbclid=IwAR1gsy_U7jVqit-eS4_HkSLDaSz-ajowstQaTvdcK5lo5oub2r-OeaIjZpQ

Just now, swede700 said:

As expected, it will come down to the Vikings and Packers.  I fully expect a split with the Packers, so it'll just come down to where the wins and losses occur elsewhere, as they both mostly play the same teams at the same places just in a different order.  Hell, the difference may just be their games against the Rams and Titans and ours against the Cardinals and Colts.  

And getting cheap wins against teams with a bunch of starters sitting out (Saints less Winston, Thomas and Kamara) and potentially Miami if Teddy has to start. 

Just take care of business each week but if Philly is the type of opponent we need to beat in the playoffs, we could be in trouble; but the season is young and one would hope the offense improves. I’m less optimistic about he defense, I believe there’s a severe lack of talent in the secondary and the DL that will be a detriment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

And getting cheap wins against teams with a bunch of starters sitting out (Saints less Winston, Thomas and Kamara) and potentially Miami if Teddy has to start.

Yep, yep. Sometimes it is less about who you play as it is about when you play them. The Vikings had an easier time against the Saints owing to them missing some key players on offense.

Of course, the Packers got to play against the Patriots led by Brian Hoyer at the start and quarterbacked for most of the game by a rookie that was clearly not quite NFL ready. Even with that huge handicap, the Packers needed OT to get the W. 

It is easier to get wins against teams sitting out starters, but a win is still a win and you are what your record says you are.

The Vikings are 3-1 and the two seed in the conference right now.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Yep, yep. Sometimes it is less about who you play as it is about when you play them. The Vikings had an easier time against the Saints owing to them missing some key players on offense.

Of course, the Packers got to play against the Patriots led by Brian Hoyer at the start and quarterbacked for most of the game by a rookie that was clearly not quite NFL ready. Even with that huge handicap, the Packers needed OT to get the W. 

It is easier to get wins against teams sitting out starters, but a win is still a win and you are what your record says you are.

The Vikings are 3-1 and the two seed in the conference right now.

give this man a cookie! well done.

• Like 1

Smart money is on Green Bay, but if we can stay healthy, and can beat Green Bay again, Minnesota could be the big upset team this season.

The playoffs should be in reach at least. The NFC is even worse than I thought and so is Detroit, who I picked early on to be my sleeper team.

Edited by SteelKing728