GB offense issues

squire12

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

I guess I see that differently. Stepping on their throat means keep doing what is working. Pass/Run mix and aggression on defense rather than playing soft. 

I was being sarcastic, but yes. Just keep doing what works is pretty obvious. I think we get too cute sometimes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

we put up 20 points in the first half. My vote is to do more of what we were doing.

I understand what you’re saying but that kind of proves my point. The defense took that away and we had no answer for it. Rodgers can’t go over the top anymore. He can’t even throw a 15 yard pass consistently. He either can’t or won’t. The WRs are open often enough. His mid-to-deep accuracy is nowhere close. Once defenses stop respecting it, which DEFINITELY happened in the second half of this game, you get a second half with no points. They invited GB to pass and they couldn’t do it. 

16 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I understand what you’re saying but that kind of proves my point. The defense took that away and we had no answer for it. Rodgers can’t go over the top anymore. He can’t even throw a 15 yard pass consistently. He either can’t or won’t. The WRs are open often enough. His mid-to-deep accuracy is nowhere close. Once defenses stop respecting it, which DEFINITELY happened in the second half of this game, you get a second half with no points. They invited GB to pass and they couldn’t do it. 

Their defense took nothing away. We drove down the field 2/3 drives we had the ball in the 2nd half. The OL blew a 3rd down and blocked no one on the right side, and then we decided we couldn't pick up 2 yards with a run for some reason.

I'm not sure why anyone is over analyzing the offense. We had 3 drives in the 2nd half, 3! This was a defensive failure entirely. Absolutely dominated in TOP in the 2nd half. When you get 5-6 drives in a half, a drop or missed block can be made up for, when you get 3 drives, any drive killer is under such a huge magnifying glass.

We need to get our opponents off the field and the ball back in our offense hands. 

Offensively, enough with the BS Bahktiari rotation, giving him a drive off does literally nothing. He's the LT, Nijman on the right side, bench Newman and get Jenkins back to RG. Fix that and have Aaron find some rhythm on the deep ball, I think this is a really good offense.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Are you sure the defense took anything away?  The one bad drive in the 2nd half was the three and out **** it/chuck it drive.  The other two drives both moved the ball into scoring range.  Coming out with no points sucked, but the offense did move the ball. 

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Run until they prove they can stop you. We came out in the second half and stopped doing what was working. 

We really didn't though. Again, we got the ball 3 times in the entire 2nd half. The first drive we gained about 50 yards and mixed up the run/pass on our last 3 plays, we actually ran it to Jones on 1st down for 2 yards, so on 2nd and long we threw incomplete to Doubs and then Rodgers was sacked on a play where he didn't even have the chance to get into his drop because Newman was whooped so badly. End of the drive. It had nothing to do with not running the ball.

Second drive, the Giants put 8 in the box on all 3 plays. Now sure you could say "run it anyways" but the defensive alignment was saying throw the ball against 1 on 1 matchups. The problem was execution. First down, Rodgers saw 1 on 1 with Lazard in the slot and ran the slot fade. Lazard was covered and it didn't work. 2nd down, Rodgers went to Cobb on the crosser who was man up against 44, a CB who was basically a PS call up filling in for Jackson who got hurt. Cobb won initially but 12 was a little late on the pass and 44 closed and contested the ball. Incomplete. 3rd down, the Giants brought a blitz and immediately flushed Rodgers to his left. Lazard again was 1 on 1 with a nobody CB (44 again) and Rodgers threw a jump ball to a 6'5" WR. Lazard was covered and couldn't make a play. Drive over. So it was 3 straight plays where the Giants simply said " we don't think you're guys can beat ours 1 on 1 on the outside" and it worked. 

Third drive, we again drove 70 yards, mixing up the run and pass pretty well. We ran it well on 1st down for 7 and then Jones got stoned for 1 on 2nd and 3. Where we made the mistake was not running it on 3rd down. I would have given it to Dillon there, but that was really the only play in the 2nd half where I think we threw the ball in a run situation. We didn't really "abandon the run" as some have suggested. We simply didn't have the ball much at all as an offense the entire 2nd half.

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Their defense took nothing away. We drove down the field 2/3 drives we had the ball in the 2nd half. The OL blew a 3rd down and blocked no one on the right side, and then we decided we couldn't pick up 2 yards with a run for some reason.

I'm not sure why anyone is over analyzing the offense. We had 3 drives in the 2nd half, 3! This was a defensive failure entirely. Absolutely dominated in TOP in the 2nd half. When you get 5-6 drives in a half, a drop or missed block can be made up for, when you get 3 drives, any drive killer is under such a huge magnifying glass.

We need to get our opponents off the field and the ball back in our offense hands. 

Offensively, enough with the BS Bahktiari rotation, giving him a drive off does literally nothing. He's the LT, Nijman on the right side, bench Newman and get Jenkins back to RG. Fix that and have Aaron find some rhythm on the deep ball, I think this is a really good offense.

Agreed. Fix the line and this offense will be fine.

It's the defense that is really troubling. You're playing third string and practice squad guys with your all stars. This D is built to be very aggressive. Need to shift it out of first. Listening to Andy Herman and right now he's saying the same: it's not good for morale on the D to play timid. Teams should be afraid of our D with the talent. Barry said last week he wasn't playing for stats but to win: well, apparently not.

11 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Agreed. Fix the line and this offense will be fine.

It's the defense that is really troubling. You're playing third string and practice squad guys with your all stars. This D is built to be very aggressive. Need to shift it out of first. Listening to Andy Herman and right now he's saying the same: it's not good for morale on the D to play timid. Teams should be afraid of our D with the talent. Barry said last week he wasn't playing for stats but to win: well, apparently not.

Feel like he is playing not to lose, and that usually doen't end will. They got a bad taste in their mouths and a long flight. Hopefully some come to reality moments follow after the film study. 

27 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

it's not good for morale on the D to play timid.

This is what bothers me most. It's just the mentality it puts into all those dudes on that side of the ball. They don't wanna play that way, and you can't get your best when they are in that mode.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Feel like he is playing not to lose, and that usually doen't end will. They got a bad taste in their mouths and a long flight. Hopefully some come to reality moments follow after the film study. 

You would think after decades of examples, these guys would see and learn that playing not to lose just ends up with you losing.  It's never consistently worked, and it never will, yet these coordinators still do it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Outside the 2nd half of the Bucs game, I have little issues with our offense. Rodgers needs to dial in the deep ball and the team needs to fire Jenkins at RT and move him to RG and start Nijman. 

Waaaaay more confident in them figuring it out come Nov-Dec than I am the defense.

Agree with almost all the statements except that bolded part.  Attempting way too many of those lately and it's driving me crazy.  The way I see it, take the shot if your man beats the DB by a wide length and has a clear TD written on him.  But otherwise, we are wasting drives and causing needless 3 and bagels.  That has to stop and this team needs to stick to high percentage throws to keep drives going.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

Agree with almost all the statements except that bolded part.  Attempting way too many of those lately and it's driving me crazy.  The way I see it, take the shot if your man beats the DB by a wide length and has a clear TD written on him.  But otherwise, we are wasting drives and causing needless 3 and bagels.  That has to stop and this team needs to stick to high percentage throws to keep drives going.

You should throw deep 2-3 times a half.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Norm said:

This is what bothers me most. It's just the mentality it puts into all those dudes on that side of the ball. They don't wanna play that way, and you can't get your best when they are in that mode.

Yesssss!!!! I am seeing that. Some division in the locker room. That is as good a locker room as any coach could wish for. As I've said elsewhere, Barry is starting to make the Pettine firing look like a mistake.

Next week may tell a lot. This is the first real melt down in the LaFleur era. Let's see how he and the team responds.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

And Doubs, and more throws like the one to Lazard today, because he's too big to let a DB pick it, worst case it's incomplete.

Doubs seems to have a knack for getting open down field more than I would have expected he would. Lazard def has that game too. I still think this is all going to come around, it's just going to take more time yet.

• Like 2