Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

39 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

So by your logic there should never be a team that fires any coach mid-season because there isn't an exact same position coach already on the team?

You haven't answered my question at all, you just keeping pushing the "but nobody else" chant. What exactly does keeping Barry do for this team?

No you've entirely misread me again. The coach on staff knows if he has a suitable replacement for a coordinator on staff, if he doesn't have one it's malpractice to fire the one he has and just dump the responsibility on someone who can't do it and probably doesn't want it.

Keeping Barry for these 3 games does nothing, which is why he'd be gone if there was a suitable replacement, but there isn't.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No you've entirely misread me again. The coach on staff knows if he has a suitable replacement for a coordinator on staff, if he doesn't have one it's malpractice to fire the one he has and just dump the responsibility on someone who can't do it and probably doesn't want it.

Keeping Barry for these 3 games does nothing, which is why he'd be gone if there was a suitable replacement, but there isn't.

Barry has very clearly demonstrated he isn't capable of being a DC either, so I'm not sure your argument holds water.

You don't want the position to go to someone else because you think they "can't do it", but you are fine keeping Barry in the role even though he "can't do it". Makes sense... 🙄

You've admitted keeping Barry does nothing, so why not take a shot and at least see of you can turn around the defensive locker room and get something positive going. You literally have nothing to lose.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It does do something.  Its fairly obvious they've lost the defensive half of the locker room.   There was a lack of effort on the back half of the defense and many business decisions taking place.  Pretending the obvious doesn't exist is rarely healthy.  It could lead to them losing the rest of the locker room.  

The players aren't stupid.  They know the defensive coaching staff should have been dealt with after last season.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the entire locker room thinks MLF lacks the stones to do what is needed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

Barry has very clearly demonstrated he isn't capable of being a DC either, so I'm not sure your argument holds water.

You don't want the position to go to someone else because you think they "can't do it", but you are fine keeping Barry in the role even though he "can't do it". Makes sense... 🙄

You've admitted keeping Barry does nothing, so why not take a shot and at least see of you can turn around the defensive locker room and get something positive going. You literally have nothing to lose.

Which one of your position coaches wanted the job? You think they're all standing in line to most likely fail miserably right before they are fired in 3 weeks and need a new job.

Your entire argument is made on assumptions. Knowing Matt LaFleur if one of those guys approached him with a real solid plan ,I certainly think he would've entertained giving them the opportunity. 

Does Barry's expiring contract play a factor in this decision to not fire him now? I mean if he was under contract for another year or two I feel like they would move on from him now but since his contract expires after the season they are just going to ride it out. I have no idea if this plays a factor but I can see it being considered. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Which one of your position coaches wanted the job? You think they're all standing in line to most likely fail miserably right before they are fired in 3 weeks and need a new job.

Your entire argument is made on assumptions. Knowing Matt LaFleur if one of those guys approached him with a real solid plan ,I certainly think he would've entertained giving them the opportunity. 

Everyone on this board makes assumptions, it's a fan board. 

It is MLF's job to recognize failure in his staff and correct it, not a positional coaches place to go around his boss the DC.

If I'm one of those positional coaches, I'm either taking one of two routes right now.

1. If I'm a Barry guy (he gave me my break and/or I've followed him around the league) I'm continuing on as normal. Most likely I'm losing my job along with Barry, and I'm not likely getting hired at the same position by anyone else so my best bet is to stick with Barry in the hopes he gives me another job when he lands one somewhere. 

2. If I'm not a Barry guy I'm showing up to impress MLF in prep and coaching, but in a way I don't come across as a snake in the grass to my boss the DC. Maybe MLF gives me a shot and I make a quick name for myself and get to stay on next year as a positional coach or equal elsewhere. 

But the point is... there is NO BENEFIT to having Barry stay on anymore. None. Not once have you made an argument that keeping Barry is the right call here. 

Edited by BluePacker

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If we dont have anyone on the defensive staff wanting/willing to step in for 3 weeks we have even bigger problems.  This would speak very poorly of MLF.  I seriously doubt that was an issue.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

Does Barry's expiring contract play a factor in this decision to not fire him now? I mean if he was under contract for another year or two I feel like they would move on from him now but since his contract expires after the season they are just going to ride it out. I have no idea if this plays a factor but I can see it being considered. 

I’m sure it does. MlF probably dosent wanna be the bad guy and can him when his contract will just run out unfortunately 

• Like 1

I take it that LaFleur must feel that the players are still on board with Barry despite the sometimes awful performances.  Pretty sure that if he thought Barry had lost the room he would be gone already.  I don't agree with keeping him around if he's dead man walking, but hopefully LaFleur has the pulse of his team and knows what's best. 

What happens if the Packers win three straight, and actually make the playoffs. What if they win a playoff game? Would he sign up for more of Barry in '24.  I wouldn't be surprised.  

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Might be a fundamental issue in how the staff is built if you dont have at least 1 coach wanting the shot to be a DC

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Your last statement is purely an assumption

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I take it that LaFleur must feel that the players are still on board with Barry despite the sometimes awful performances.  Pretty sure that if he thought Barry had lost the room he would be gone already.  I don't agree with keeping him around if he's dead man walking, but hopefully LaFleur has the pulse of his team and knows what's best. 

What happens if the Packers win three straight, and actually make the playoffs. What if they win a playoff game? Would he sign up for more of Barry in '24.  I wouldn't be surprised.  

That's my biggest fear.  Kinda doubt it from what we have seen over the last couple of years.  The body of evidence is pretty clear.  Barry sucks.  The fact that MLF has to take time to straighten out "communication" on the Defensive side of the ball speaks volumes.  Barry can't do the job.  Most likely end to the season...a repeat of last year.  We win in Carolina, beat the Vikes, and when it's all on the line lose to Chicago.  Wouldn't that be a peach...

5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

The fact that MLF hired Barry in the first place doesn’t give me any confidence in what he might do for an encore.  Preparing to be underwhelmed is an understatement.  If he doesn’t get this right, he might as well start dousing his own seat in lighter fluid. 

Man oh man, gotta say it seems like it was only yesterday everyone rushed to our HC's defense.

Now, I do think we're headed to a second 8-9 season.  And in this, speaking as one of Matt LaFleur's biggest and harshest critics, I'm betting he'll likely get one more year unless we lose all of these last few games and see the offense go full on stink, and I mean like really really stink.

Right now I got mixed feelings about where I think our offense is.  I would say it feels like they always top out right about the 20-24 point margin with a few games having exceeded that, and a couple below it.  It is disappointing on the one hand that it just feels so stagnant, yet on the other at least they haven't regressed over time.  And considering all the injuries they've had, I don't know how much more one could reasonably expect.

I think LaFleur will get until the end of the 2024 season, but there will be at least two big conditions that are gonna come with it:

1.  Not only must Barry and Bisaccia go, but the new hires cannot just be homeruns, they gotta be grand slams and guarantee the defense becomes top 5.

2.  No more of these garbage 3-6 starts to the season.  Now I'm not saying we gotta go back to the 13-4 days though I'd prefer that, but we clearly gotta be wielding enough power as a team to show that the playoffs aren't in doubt.

Fail to do those two things and LaFleur, Gute and Ball all gotta follow Murphy out the door when he exits after this next season.

9 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I think LaFleur will get until the end of the 2024 season, but there will be at least two big conditions that are gonna come with it:

1.  Not only must Barry and Bisaccia go, but the new hires cannot just be homeruns, they gotta be grand slams and guarantee the defense becomes top 5.

2.  No more of these garbage 3-6 starts to the season.  Now I'm not saying we gotta go back to the 13-4 days though I'd prefer that, but we clearly gotta be wielding enough power as a team to show that the playoffs aren't in doubt.

Fail to do those two things and LaFleur, Gute and Ball all gotta follow Murphy out the door when he exits after this next season.

There are no guarantees in pro sports.  Sure you want to aspire to those things you mentioned but you have to reconcile with the fact that we're the youngest team in the NFL.  There are going to be growing pains.  We add a good DC and continue to grow on offense, we could be scary good in the next few years.  Gotta have some modicum of patience.