Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

Totally different circumstances but Panthers not only fired HC, but they also whacked the D Coordinator and a special team coach as well. In spite of Baker Mayfield, PJ Walker, I'll bet Carolina starts to play better. 

Sometimes a shakeup is a wake up. 

Panthers fire head coach Matt Rhule after 1-4 start to season (nfl.com)

Edited by Old Guy

Dude, the Packers are not even at that stage yet where a shake up is needed.

Yes the inconsistent performances is irritating but we need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

13-3. 13-3, 13-4 - Lots of teams would kill to have this record. We have to trust in the people running the team and is professional and smart enough to resolve our own problems.

I thought with you being an Old Guy you would have a more experienced and level headed take instead of this crybaby reactionary BS.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chili said:

Yes the inconsistent performances is irritating but we need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

13-3. 13-3, 13-4 - Lots of teams would kill to have this record. We have to trust in the people running the team and is professional and smart enough to resolve our own problems.

I thought with you being an Old Guy you would have a more experienced and level headed take instead of this crybaby reactionary BS.

The talent on defense is not translating to results on the field. Patience is not in the vernacular when you have a 39-year-old HOF quarterback who could retire any year. There has to be a sense of urgency. 

There is simply no metric where one could point and say this defense is living up to the sum of the parts. Yesterday was an embarrassment. I'd say week 1 was an embarrassment. I'd say the way he played defense against New England when we got up was an embarrassment. That game, against a 4th round rookie should never have gotten close if he kept playing to win. We get up, he goes into prevent a victory defense.  

When one of your top players starts to speak out publicly, it's a problem. You can call names all you want. The facts are the facts. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Chili said:

The Packers aren't winning the SB with Joe Barry at DC. If you can't see at least that far ahead, go get some glasses. Go ahead and bookmark this, criticize it, whatever, but deep down, every single person on this site knows it's true. 

• Like 2

This is why you have a head coach. I know MLF puts everything on him, but this is literally on him. There needs to be a new approach this week against the jets. The zone **** isn't working. You have some horses. Let them run. It's not time to panic, but it is not looking good. In fact I'm shocked how much people are talking about the offense. That was always going to be a process, but this defense? Nah, this is not acceptable. 

• Like 2

Last year in week 2 the Packers trailed the Lions 17-14 at halftime. At that point MLF told Barry that if you're rushing 4 and not getting pressure, you can't just keep rushing 4. You either need to bring more pressure, or rush 3 and play coverage. Barry brought more pressure, and Packers shut out Lions in 2nd half. The problems may be different this year, but if Barry is going to continue to be slow to make adjustments, MLF may have to impose his will on the defense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Last year in week 2 the Packers trailed the Lions 17-14 at halftime. At that point MLF told Barry that if you're rushing 4 and not getting pressure, you can't just keep rushing 4. You either need to bring more pressure, or rush 3 and play coverage. Barry brought more pressure, and Packers shut out Lions in 2nd half. The problems may be different this year, but if Barry is going to continue to be slow to make adjustments, MLF may have to impose his will on the defense.

If the coach can't "see" the problem should he be there?  If the coach doesn't make changes because the system isn't working should he be there?  If the coach has to be told by his boss to make changes should he be there?  MLF isn't being the head coach if the defense doesn't kick it in gear and soon!

I'm trying to think of any recent memory in which a coordinator was fired mid-season while the head coach was not. But I hope we do that soon. 

I believe it was @packfanfb who said it in another thread, but there are cracks in this defense that we have been choosing to ignore. Savage is a JAG. Quay relies on his athleticism to make up for his blown coverages. Campbell was a one-hit wonder. Outside of Gary and Smith there is zero pass rush. We've watched Stokes get burned regularly all season.

But other than that - this defense is loaded with talent. Sul is legit. The d-line is loaded. Gary is one of the ten best defenders in the game. Maybe top 5. A competent coordinator should be able to stifle a ****ty offense like the Giants. Move on and save the season.

2 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I'm trying to think of any recent memory in which a coordinator was fired mid-season while the head coach was not. But I hope we do that soon. 

I believe it was @packfanfb who said it in another thread, but there are cracks in this defense that we have been choosing to ignore. Savage is a JAG. Quay relies on his athleticism to make up for his blown coverages. Campbell was a one-hit wonder. Outside of Gary and Smith there is zero pass rush. We've watched Stokes get burned regularly all season.

But other than that - this defense is loaded with talent. Sul is legit. The d-line is loaded. Gary is one of the ten best defenders in the game. Maybe top 5. A competent coordinator should be able to stifle a ****ty offense like the Giants. Move on and save the season.

The Packers could fix this defense SO EASILY if they just did a few things: (1) either fire Barry or require (not ask) him to run a more aggressive, down-hill version of his defense that features more press coverage, especially against teams with weaker offenses; (2) move Sul outside, he has no business playing inside and all you're doing is taking away his play-making ability we saw game after game last season; (3) move Jaire into the Star role and stop being ******* about his shoulder or trying to "protect" him; and (4) go get another pass rusher between now and the trade deadline - Garvin and Enagbare are playing just as expected meaning virtually not existing in the pass rush. 

Yes, playing a more aggressive, attack style defense may result in a 60 yard TD over the top now and then but I'll take my chances with our 3 CBs who all excel in those situations. It will also lead to more turnovers and actually put some damn pressure on offenses to execute down the field (i.e. exactly what the Giants did to us in the 2nd half by giving us man coverage looks with 8 in the box). 

12 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Disagree on the pass rush. Clark and Reed have been getting great pressure up the middle. This defense is loaded with talent and the coordinator is making them look average. 

28 minutes ago, Sandy said:

The Ravens fired their offensive coordinator the year they won their last Super Bowl.