Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

6 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@Brit Pack  I think you misrepresent what @MacReady said.

He said if that many aren't good, but he never suggested all first round picks are studs. it's a numbers game.

Incidentally, I'm in the MacReady camp when it comes to laying the blame mostly on the coaching.

Yes, so we have 8 1st rounders. 3 haven't even completed two seasons so we can't say much about them. Another 2 were good enough to give second contracts to but who are currently playing below or too injured to play. Then 2 are injured and crap and 1 is currently stud.

What is the expectation all too be studs all the time? Half to be studs? So what is the numbers game for our 1st rounders?

I don't see coaching as the issue. It is a) lack of developed talent as they are young b) talent that has got older and lazy c) talent that was never talented.  Currently we only have one 1st rounder who another team would dream to have and who is playing good/great for us. 

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Yes, so we have 8 1st rounders. 3 haven't even completed two seasons so we can't say much about them. Another 2 were good enough to give second contracts to but who are currently playing below or too injured to play. Then 2 are injured and crap and 1 is currently stud.

What is the expectation all too be studs all the time? Half to be studs? So what is the numbers game for our 1st rounders?

I don't see coaching as the issue. It is a) lack of developed talent as they are young b) talent that has got older and lazy c) talent that was never talented.  Currently we only have one 1st rounder who another team would dream to have and who is playing good/great for us. 

Disagree .. Last year Barry's players almost revolted because of his soft zone, non aggressive game plans.  He finally relented the last few games of the season and guess what .. they did much better.  Nobody is held accountable, nobody seems to be coaching up younger players, nobody has any fire in them.  If a defensive team is going nowhere, I'd rather see them aggressive than one sitting back, reacting and sucking.  Aggressiveness and scheming is paramount for any good defense and it just isn't there right now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Disagree .. Last year Barry's players almost revolted because of his soft zone, non aggressive game plans.  He finally relented the last few games of the season and guess what .. they did much better.  Nobody is held accountable, nobody seems to be coaching up younger players, nobody has any fire in them.  If a defensive team is going nowhere, I'd rather see them aggressive than one sitting back, reacting and sucking.  Aggressiveness and scheming is paramount for any good defense and it just isn't there right know. 

I'm not saying keep Joe but whoever comes in will face similar problems as we don't have the horses to win. Even though we have invested 8 first rounders, that is meaningless, in the same way that we never invested a first round WR for Rodgers. It doesn't matter.  I think we are getting hung up on the idea we should be good because we have 8 1st rounders, rather than fact that they are all injured or not performing for various reasons. I just don't see the talent on the defence regardless of the coach.

For example is poor tackling down to poor players or poor coaching, a bit of both but ultimately if players get in a spot to make a play and whiff, the player takes most of that blame. Every week especially in the run game I see that poor tackling.

The team just doesn't have those dawgs that go out and play and set the tempo for the rest of the team. Even the good players are too passive. The only guy I see play with emotion and soul is Rasul and it shows in his stats, it shows in his performances. There needs to be some nasty on this defence for it to win regardless of the coach and that is the bigger issue to me.

13 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I'm not saying keep Joe but whoever comes in will face similar problems as we don't have the horses to win. Even though we have invested 8 first rounders, that is meaningless, in the same way that we never invested a first round WR for Rodgers. It doesn't matter.  I think we are getting hung up on the idea we should be good because we have 8 1st rounders, rather than fact that they are all injured or not performing for various reasons. I just don't see the talent on the defence regardless of the coach.

For example is poor tackling down to poor players or poor coaching, a bit of both but ultimately if players get in a spot to make a play and whiff, the player takes most of that blame. Every week especially in the run game I see that poor tackling.

The team just doesn't have those dawgs that go out and play and set the tempo for the rest of the team. Even the good players are too passive. The only guy I see play with emotion and soul is Rasul and it shows in his stats, it shows in his performances. There needs to be some nasty on this defence for it to win regardless of the coach and that is the bigger issue to me.

people keep seeing clips of opposing offenses in power formations while we trot out 2 d-linemen on 3rd and 1.  Maybe this happens for other teams, but I doubt it happens with good defenses.  It seems he has too many plays where he essentially gives the offense the first down.  I have no idea if there are metrics out there that could compare how often something like this happens compares to other teams though.  Course maybe he has to do questionable things to protect the secondary considering we are now down Jaire, Savage, and Stokes amongst other guys

14 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Nasty coach often times brings out nasty players.  If he doesn't have them go find them in the 2nd and 3rd teamers.  Your players take on the persona of your coach.  Maybe, just maybe that's also why the offense looks bad/soft.  MLF looks like he's going to cry at each post game news conference .. especially where he should have won! 

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Sick thank you. So league average and we're top third in total defensive plays. Bout what I expected. Just average to slightly above average on a per play basis. (in a good way).

We're not a good defense but the pendulum has swung too far