Let's talk Jon Robinson

deeluxx3

Just now, TitanSS said:

Apology accepted.

you're still either ignoring or being too thick to address the actual substance of what i said, which hasn't changed regardless of whether the comparison is with you or with consensus draft boards. your original contention was that jon robinson is one of the worst GMs in the league, but you've proposed a method of evaluation that doesn't actually establish his place among the other GMs. it's nonsense.

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

you're still either ignoring or being too thick to address the actual substance of what i said, which hasn't changed regardless of whether the comparison is with you or with consensus draft boards. your original contention was that jon robinson is one of the worst GMs in the league, but you've proposed a method of evaluation that doesn't actually establish his place among the other GMs. it's nonsense.

Wasn't your proposed solution to compare him to every other GM in the league?

I got time to argue with you all on my phone, but I don't have time to go compiling starts, pro bowls, PFF grades, and whatever else it would take to make a reasonable argument about him vs every other GM in the league.

You all can think you're right if that's what it's gonna take to make you listen to any argument against him.

Edited by TitanSS

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

Wasn't your proposed solution to compare him to every other GM in the league?

I got time to argue with you all on my phone, but I don't have time to go compiling starts, pro bowls, PFF grades, and whatever else it would take to make a reasonable argument about him vs every other GM in the league.

You all can think you're right if that's what it's gonna take to make you listen to any argument against him.

uh, yeah, because if you're ranking him among other GMs that's kind of what you have to do. as i've said numerous times, i think robinson has been catastrophically bad the last three years, but would take interest in a genuine evaluation of how his record compares to other GMs, precisely because i'm just not in the business of going off the deep end making off-the-cuff claims about how he's "the mariota of GMs" (lol) or whatever. if you're just here to rant on your phone, fine, but don't yell at everyone else about it. i know you've gone from "i am the protagonist of idiocracy" to "i will not do a shred of research to back up what i'm saying" in record time, but personally i'd like to actually see something comparative and concrete.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I’m asking out of naivety 

explain this to me. If there’s a salary cap, why/how can the Rams of the world with Kroenke pay EVERYONE and we can’t?

It’s like this my guy as explained multiple times, the salary cap can be manipulated only wealthy rich rich owners. Simply by doing restructures. When you do a restructure your converting salary up front & turning it into like a signing bonus. Once salary has been converted as a signing bonus it goes into a escrow account. I been saying this for years every time people say the titans are cheap; we’re actually not cheap because when money is there we spend big, we simply don’t do the restructure game with multiple players. Why because that’s guaranteed money that you have to set aside in an escrow account. 

12 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

uh, yeah, because if you're ranking him among other GMs that's kind of what you have to do. as i've said numerous times, i think robinson has been catastrophically bad the last three years, but would take interest in a genuine evaluation of how his record compares to other GMs, precisely because i'm just not in the business of going off the deep end making off-the-cuff claims about how he's "the mariota of GMs" (lol) or whatever. if you're just here to rant on your phone, fine, but don't yell at everyone else about it. i know you've gone from "i am the protagonist of idiocracy" to "i will not do a shred of research to back up what i'm saying" in record time, but personally i'd like to actually see something comparative and concrete.

I said he's the Mariota of GMs because of the fans reaction to someone saying he's bad (the same dog piling response you would have gotten in 2018), not because of how I rank him, hence saying the number was hyperbole in an earlier post.

I'm all for stats in an argument, but when the facts asked for are comprehensive comparisons of all 32 GMs....

Nah bro think whatever you want lmfao. If that's a retraction then so be it. 

Edited by TitanSS

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

I said he's the Mariota of GMs because of the fans reaction to someone saying he's bad, not because of how I rank him, hence saying the number was hyperbole in an earlier post.

I'm all for stats in an argument, but when the facts asked for are comprehensive comparisons of all 32 GMs....

Nah bro think whatever you want lmfao. If that's a retraction then so be it. 

a retraction of....what? best i can tell you're making a guy up to argue with because you're so worked up about jon robinson lol. take it easy man

7 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

a retraction of....what? best i can tell you're making a guy up to argue with because you're so worked up about jon robinson lol. take it easy man

You saying I changed stances? As in retracting my previous stance? Not sure why that's the takeaway there, but I didn't have to make up a guy to argue with, there were plenty of them. I have 31 notifications that I haven't cleared from the last two hours.

Edited by TitanSS

30 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I've also got about 18 different people responding with stuff like "but what about him finding Brewer and Stonehouse!", so forgive me if I don't respond to each comment from every response I'm getting lol

Take this for what it's worth. And if you want to make a joke out of it cool. 
But I think the reason you have "18 different people" responding to you, is because of the wide net of inconsistency you are coming back with.
I asked you to name a GM that you consider to be great. Off the top of the head, doesn't take research. Who you think is great.  You responded with no one. Because you wanted to research so it wouldn't be like you just talking junk. All the while talking junk by creating a GM baseline of failure with Robinson without properly knowing the baseline. It would be one thing to say Robinson is bad knowing what actually makes for a bad GM.
You talk about many factors going into it outside of wins. What else is there?

It's not hyperbole. Your argument against at least me and Chocolateman is that wins aren't the only factor. So you are saying that a guy could pretty much make the playoffs every year of his tenure and you'd call him a failure because high profile draft picks aren't up to your standard. 

And yes players like Stonehouse are what championships are built on. Depth, role players making impact plays when they have a chance. As good as the QBs of the NFL can be, if you don't have guys making plays or doing their job around them, you pretty much have Phillip Rivers with stats.

Now if you want to essentially call everyone that has a different view of you an idiot try to at least come back with something other than "he is the Mariota of GMs." When from what I can see everyone that has responded to you has come with something to point too. whether it be wins, Robinson's place among other GMs or players he has selected that are succeeding in the league

The one thing that the Robinson discussion does help me with is my appreciation for Vrabel. I don’t love the offensive philosophy, but there comes a point where you can’t really argue with the results. I don’t think Robinson has built an altogether talented roster. Post-2019, the team itself is in a worse spot. But J-Rob hitched himself to a coach who is inexplicably good at stealing wins in close games. And that will let him keep his job.

I feel like we can all just agree that Robinson built a pretty good roster over time, but his recent drafting leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't think it needs to turn in to a huge heated debate outside of that. If the recent draft failures are enough to make you want to look elsewhere for a GM that's a take to have. As I mentioned early in this thread I'm ok with him getting another season or two to turn the drafting around, but I get that could potentially also bury the team talent wise. But risks are something that often have to be taken in the NFL, and firing him would obviously be a risk because we all agree I think that you can certainly do worse.

I think taking the discussion to a "will he be fired" point of view, probably not much chance of. He got an extension alongside Vrabel this past off season iirc. So he's probably got another 2 years to settle the drafting at least I'd think. With Amy being one of the poorer(saying that about someone who is worth hundreds of millions will always be hilarious to me) owners in football, not sure she's willing to pay huge buyouts right after giving an extension, but maybe.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TitanSS said:

If it looked like we were trending in that direction instead of the team progressively getting worse three years in a row, someone else wouldn't have made the thread, because I didn't start it.

Hyperbole is fun though I get it.

Again… #1 seed last year with the most injuries in the league and the most rostered players in NFL history. 3 years ago they were 9-7!!! 
😂😂

Am I in a fever dream? did I just dream that we were the #1 seed last year? Did we actually go 5-12? Someone explain? Because you’re acting like NONE of that happened, or that JRob somehow had nothing to do with it last years success. or do we discredit all of last years success because the playoff result was lackluster? 

• Like 1