Let's talk Jon Robinson

deeluxx3

It still trips me out that people talk about that 9-7 team like it was a buzz saw. Yes they caught lightning in a bottle and made a playoff run, but they started that year worse than this one. If anything 2019, should be reason not to panic now. At this point in 2019, NOBODY would have foresaw what would eventually happen. And definitely No one thought that team was elite. Good teams improve over the course of a season. Especially this one in the Vrabs/JRob era. 

To me if feels like the argument is ‘yea we win… but we don’t win pretty and day one/ day two picks aren’t making all the plays plays so obviously the GM sucks and should be fired.’
I mean if Caleb Farley got that pick instead of David long, the win would somehow be more validated?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

It still trips me out that people talk about that 9-7 team like it was a buzz saw. Yes they caught lightning in a bottle and made a playoff run, but they started that year worse than this one. If anything 2019, should be reason not to panic now. At this point in 2019, NOBODY would have foresaw what would eventually happen. And definitely No one thought that team was elite. Good teams improve over the course of a season. Especially this one in the Vrabs/JRob era. 

eh, i dunno about that comparison. a QB change is very different from a team just improving over the course of the season. we went 2-4 with mariota and then 7-3 with tannehill- that was not a 9-7 team if tannehill plays from the jump. having said that, yeah, obviously there's plenty of possibility and room for improvement this year.

11 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

eh, i dunno about that comparison. a QB change is very different from a team just improving over the course of the season. we went 2-4 with mariota and then 7-3 with tannehill- that was not a 9-7 team if tannehill plays from the jump. having said that, yeah, obviously there's plenty of possibility and room for improvement this year.

Man the TEAM improved. Mid season QB changes don’t typically work out to playoff runs. It wasn’t JUST inserting Tannehill. Tannehill’s not THAT good. The team got progressively better and more confident that year. Which can still happen with the current squad.

He's had a bad 2 years managing our top assets and money, and that looks awful. He's still made some good later picks, but he has to start hitting on our top picks or our talent pool will be completely barren.

I'm hopeful with this draft he has bounced back. If Willis is a real hit, then a lot will be forgiven.

13 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He's had a bad 2 years managing our top assets and money, and that looks awful. He's still made some good later picks, but he has to start hitting on our top picks or our talent pool will be completely barren.

I'm hopeful with this draft he has bounced back. If Willis is a real hit, then a lot will be forgiven.

ha, if willis is a hit damn near everything will be forgiven. we could miss on every other pick from this year and willis being a hit would make the draft a success

• Like 2

This team is annoyingly bad at times bud you cannot argue with the results the last few years in the field. Personnel hasn’t always been great and signings/draft picks have both been poor at times but this is a league full of professional athletes who all want to win every single week and this franchise has won more games than most on recent memory. Yes we all rage week in week out but the facts are this team knows how to win no matter how ugly it looks or frustrating it is for us fans. U too they fall off a cliff I’ll always keep hood in games (except week 2 😅). 

Fans really do have short memories. I mean it wasn’t long ago we were fielding the Billy Volek’s and Zac Mettenbergers of this world and regularly picking too 10 on the draft. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I wonder what would be the reaction if by chance we managed to get #1 or #2 seed. 

AFC isn't crazy strong right now. 

I get you, but if there’s one thing that’s an absolute bar to being a good team consistently, it’s a bad OL.

And boy is ours awful.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I get you, but if there’s one thing that’s an absolute bar to being a good team consistently, it’s a bad OL.

And boy is ours awful.

Not defending the situation, but our OL was pretty bad last year too esp at pass blocking (if memory serves)

The saving grace I continue going back to...it's a well-coached OL. Granted, LT is a huge issue, but Keith Carter does a nice job

I wonder if we'll see any changes after the bye.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Titansfan said:

This team is annoyingly bad at times bud you cannot argue with the results the last few years in the field. Personnel hasn’t always been great and signings/draft picks have both been poor at times but this is a league full of professional athletes who all want to win every single week and this franchise has won more games than most on recent memory. Yes we all rage week in week out but the facts are this team knows how to win no matter how ugly it looks or frustrating it is for us fans. U too they fall off a cliff I’ll always keep hood in games (except week 2 😅). 

Fans really do have short memories. I mean it wasn’t long ago we were fielding the Billy Volek’s and Zac Mettenbergers of this world and regularly picking too 10 on the draft. 

Loved me some Billy Volek.

7 hours ago, Titansfan said:

This team is annoyingly bad at times bud you cannot argue with the results the last few years in the field. 

I think that's my MAIN point.

It's results based business, the NFL. 

If we win every game by 1 point and pass for 50 yards all the way to multiple SB's, people would be mad apparently. Lets look at a roster as talented as the Chargers. They have one the best offenses for years now. But barley win along with missing the playoffs.  
Is that what people want?  Some superstars on offense and defense but don't win?

I do care about style. I'm not going to to lie. But really at the end of the day, does the team win? If so, I'm going to STFU about Robinson and Vrabel to an extent. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Not defending the situation, but our OL was pretty bad last year too esp at pass blocking (if memory serves)

The saving grace I continue going back to...it's a well-coached OL. Granted, LT is a huge issue, but Keith Carter does a nice job

I wonder if we'll see any changes after the bye.

Yes to this! And. Let's not discredit the Commanders line. Sweat and Allen can ball.

I think the bye will help. And we will figure out ways to cover up the issues with personnel and playcalling.

Also Tannehill gets the ball out super fast. We just need to find someone to get the ball out fast to.

Edited by twotonebluenation
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has been a few lean years after an absolutely fabulous 2019 draft.  This draft could be pretty good but we won't know for a while.  Simmons is a HOF level player and so might AJ Brown.  I am puzzled how bad the OL is (Davis was a 2019 pick as well).  Even if you miss on two OTs in round one and two you can't give up a 6th round pick for a scrub like Daley.  JRob's best free agent?  Ben Jones, one of the first guys he went out and got, thank God.