How 🔥 is McDaniels Seat?

RaidersAreOne

39 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Said it last year, I would've taken playcalling duties away from McDaniels and more or less scrapped his playbook, giving him an old playbook most of the roster knew and allowing him to just make some tweaks to it. 

Our best offensive weapons had way too much trouble picking up the notoriously difficult playbook he brought. Instead of adapting, he went with the ramming a square peg at a round hole until enough breaks off to squeeze through approach. 

We hired him to be a planner and HC, not an OC. If he wants to be an OC, he can go be someone's OC. If he wants to be a HC, he should be a HC. 

Did they? Jacobs and Adams were All-pros, so something worked clearly. 

You hired McDaniel's to run his offense. If the QB can't run it (he couldn't) then you find one who can.

Let's see what the offense looks like with a QB he trusts to run it. 

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You hired McDaniel's to run his offense. If the QB can't run it (he couldn't) then you find one who can.

I truly hope you are right and Jimmy G comes in and makes the O top 5. 

I just have a tough time expecting more than 11th in passing yards and 9th in receiving TDs, when your starters for half the year are, Moreau and Hollins with Cole in the slot. 
We definitely got deeper at WR in the offseason, which was a need. We have the high end talent, but a steep drop off. 
Only 4 WRs caught passes for us last season . .. Tough to be an unreal unit when you only have 4 WRs (one missing time) catching the ball. 

That is also kind of a positive though, because for how god awful we looked at times on O last year, (whether it be whole games or just halfs), we still were a 'decent' passing team strictly by the numbers. 

Hopefully JMD gets better in year 2 as well. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

1. Yes. They did. On multiple occasions it was clear as day plays were broken and raw talent from guys just took over. Too many wrong routes clearly run. A player with the talent of Adams or the usage of Jacobs can have bulk stats but the offense still be problematic. Still both disappeared at times, Hollins seemed to mis a lot of routes, and Renfrow and Waller looked like they'd never even read the playbook at times. 

2. We did. Josh himself said:

“We have the capacity and capability of winning here with Derek at quarterback. We know that.”

So he either says whatever he needs to say to sound good while not knowing what he's doing or he's outright lying, neither of which give me any optimism for McDaniels as a HC. 

18 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

So he either says whatever he needs to say to sound good while not knowing what he's doing or he's outright lying, neither of which give me any optimism for McDaniels as a HC. 

Come on, you're better than that.

You could hear something like that from every HC and at the next best opportunity they'll move on. That's business.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

can't wait for you to be wrong (yet again)

55 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

Come on, you're better than that.

You could hear something like that from every HC and at the next best opportunity they'll move on. That's business.

That's my point.

The issue being addressed was "Let's see what the offense looks like with a QB he trusts to run it". 

Well, when does that additional grace period for McDaniels end?

He had a QB he likely could have tried to move last year and instead helped him get an extension with a no-trade clause. If that isn't trust, what is? 

We now have a similar QB, though cheaper. If Jimmy fails to greatly impress, what then? Wait until he picks another QB he "trusts" and give it more time? 

And then what? Josh just gets a free pass on a rookie because he "doesn't trust him to run the offense yet"? A free pass annually as long as he pinky promises that the next option will be the best one? 

If one wants to say Carr wasn't a fit, I can buy that, because I also don't think Rodgers would have been a good fit either. Good and even great QBs still have to fit or things just don't work out very well. But if the built-in excuse is that McDaniels deserves more leeway because we haven't seen him with a QB he trusts, that's nonsense that can be used as a scapegoat any time it doesn't work out.

He did have a guy he trusted. It didn't work. But that isn't supposed to be a perpetual free pass. At some point, people are going to have to come to terms with the fact that McDaniels has never found sustained success outside of Tom Brady and become open to the criticism that maybe Josh just doesn't know what he's doing. He's never managed a QB to high success on his own. Has he just never trusted any of his QBs not named Tom Brady? If one needs Tom Brady to have any success, they're probably ill suited for their job. Saying we need to wait until he gets a guy he trusts to run the offense is the absolute definition of kicking the can down the road until he lucks into, what, another Tom Brady? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, true2form said:

Going to be very different around here next season when half the forum can't just blame Carr for everything anymore.

Genuinely there was no reason not to run an offense more suited to the qb. Play action and more stuff from the gun. I simply don't understand it, even now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I know you saw the same games I saw . This is how we lost all of those double digit lead games. Adams would destroying a team in the first half and in the second half the Raiders would stop passing and run the ball with Jacobs, bro that’s not good coaching.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I know you saw the same games I saw . This is how we lost all of those double digit lead games. Adams would destroying a team in the first half and in the second half the Raiders would stop passing and run the ball with Jacobs, bro that’s not good coaching.

Sure... or it's the QB who simply stopped throwing at him which we saw as well. 

Adams was held to fewer than 40 yards receiving in his last 56 games with Aaron Rodgers as his QB 3 times. With Derek Carr, 5 games in his first season in Vegas. 

Carr left plays all over the field. He's soft, doesn't want to take a hit and let things develop. He just is and there is no argument for that after 9 years and his Fresno career. 

McDaniels could have done a better job play calling. But Carr also stunk it up on the field in the games we both saw. And I was a Carr fan from the jump FYI. 

48 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Adams was held to fewer than 40 yards receiving in his last 56 games with Aaron Rodgers as his QB 3 times. With Derek Carr, 5 games in his first season in Vegas. 

Carr left plays all over the field. He's soft, doesn't want to take a hit and let things develop. He just is and there is no argument for that after 9 years and his Fresno career. 

McDaniels could have done a better job play calling. But Carr also stunk it up on the field in the games we both saw. And I was a Carr fan from the jump FYI. 

You know as well as me a Carr was not allowed to audible so the plays were run as the coach called them

Edited by Bitty 2.0
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Since you want to bring up Carr vs Rodgers for some reason lol, 
Adams had more 20 and 40 yard catches last year then any season with rodgers . . . 

Does rodgers not let plays develop either? 😂

Or is it possible that maybe a system can have an effect on a WR too ? 
Like potentially, calling 6 passes in a half, may make it tough for a WR to have a lot of catches / yards?

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

So if Jimmy G runs a sub average offense then McD should be fired at end of year?  

18 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You know as well as me a Carr was not allowed to audible so the plays were run as the coach called them

The audacity to think the play sent in will be the best play possible… without seeing how the defense will line up … is crazy to me.   I’m not against limiting audibles but to not allow them… wtf

Whats worse to me is not be willing to make adjustments to help the QB play better.

If we get Richardson in a trade up….Is McD going to demand Richardson conform his game to the system?

Edited by jimkelly02