State of the Steelers

warfelg

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AFF said:

$$$ shouldn’t be a huge factor in any deals…acquisition cost is a bigger question.

Money is a big factor but not the way people like to make it out as. Money more affects the acquisition cost. Like him wanting that much money makes him *less* valuable in a trade because you lose on an opportunity for a cost controlled player and that much spending elsewhere. So a 1st and a $30MM AAV is too much. 2nd and $30MM is closer, or 1st and $20MM. 

(For the record don’t disagree with your statement at all, expanding on the premise) 

Edited by warfelg

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Money is a big factor but not the way people like to make it out as. Money more affects the acquisition cost. Like him wanting that much money makes him *less* valuable in a trade because you lose on an opportunity for a cost controlled player and that much spending elsewhere. So a 1st and a $30MM AAV is too much. 2nd and $30MM is closer, or 1st and $20MM. 

(For the record don’t disagree with your statement at all, expanding on the premise) 

Yea FWIW I would expect he gets $25 mill AAV based on recent DK and Ridley contracts.

Ive stated im fine with a 2nd or 2nd plus say a 4th.

A 2024 1st I would have to think more about but I’d probably still do it.

At this point, I seriously doubt we make a big move for a WR.    I think we draft someone day 2 and then probably get a mid tier vet after the draft.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1780234724964728927?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Courtland Sutton not reporting to voluntary workouts. This is another vet WR I would love to trade for on draft night. Still only 28 and caught 10 TDs from Russ last year. My guess is it would take a 4th.

peter schrager in his mock mentioned that he thinks khan will try to make a splash at WR. I can see getting sutton as a plan B if they don't get Aiyuk

Saw a report Tyler Boyd was in town.  No confirmation on if it was for the Steelers, but it would be great to sign him before the draft.  It’s one less hole and they might even have a little more leverage to swing a trade.  Would be awesome to get Boyd then trade for a Sutton.  It would solidify the WR room and let them go after other needs.

Saw that Sutton is sitting out because he wants a new contract. I like the idea of him as a player on our team (fits tremendously), but hate the idea of paying him. 

If he just wanted to come over on his current deal -- awesome. If he wants in on that $20M+ money because he is taking home $13M and $14M respectively over the next two years, no thank you. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Saw that Sutton is sitting out because he wants a new contract. I like the idea of him as a player on our team (fits tremendously), but hate the idea of paying him. 

I just totally lost my mind because I thought we were taking about Cam…lol

Edited by rlon

38 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I heard a rumor that what SF would want for Aiyuk is Dan Moore, 20, and 98. The counter was on rumor 20 and 98 for Aiyuk and 30. 

No way on what SF wants, but I could live with 20 and 98 for Aiyuk and 31, and heck, add in Dan Moore, as well, as a compromise...

We need to keep 'a' 1st, and 'a' 2nd, plus one of our 3rds, so I'd even do a swap of 2nds, to give a little bit more, but we need our Day 1 and Day 2 picks.  I could live with something like that... 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I heard a rumor that what SF would want for Aiyuk is Dan Moore, 20, and 98. The counter was on rumor 20 and 98 for Aiyuk and 30. 

I'd do the 2nd option in a vacuum but let's not forget the payday he will be due this year. All of that for a one-year rental or a crippling salary is unacceptable. 

14 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I'd do the 2nd option in a vacuum but let's not forget the payday he will be due this year. All of that for a one-year rental or a crippling salary is unacceptable

I tend to agree, but assume an extension would be worked out prior to coming over, hopefully similar, yet a bit lower than what Davonta just signed. Not likely though...