State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

Bengals have over $60M in cap room.  They will resign him

He was quoted saying “this is my last ******* year” walking into the locker room after the game last night. They have Burrow, Bates, and Vonn Bell who needs contracts. Not sure that it’s a lock they bring him back.

12 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

He was quoted saying “this is my last ******* year” walking into the locker room after the game last night. They have Burrow, Bates, and Vonn Bell who needs contracts. Not sure that it’s a lock they bring him back.

Burrow has a 5th year option.  The Bengals are not in the bind that the Eagles are in with Hurts ( who was drafted in the 2nd round). 

Pratt will probably get about 7-8M/year.  Bates about 12M and Bell about 8-10M.  They will resign Hurst for about 4M.  My guess is they will try to retain Scharping but backup OGs are not expensive.  Eli Apple will either be let walk or signed cheap.  Tre Flowers will be a problem.  He will expect about 10-12M.  All of that is about 40M and with creative accounting of the salary cap it will be quite manageable.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Burrow has a 5th year option.  The Bengals are not in the bind that the Eagles are in with Hurts ( who was drafted in the 2nd round). 

Pratt will probably get about 7-8M/year.  Bates about 12M and Bell about 8-10M.  They will resign Hurst for about 4M.  My guess is they will try to retain Scharping but backup OGs are not expensive.  Eli Apple will either be let walk or signed cheap.  Tre Flowers will be a problem.  He will expect about 10-12M.  All of that is about 40M and with creative accounting of the salary cap it will be quite manageable.

I have no doubts they could make it happen, just find it odd he’s yelling about it being his last year as he’s walking off the field last night (that’s what inspired my post in the first place). Seems like he might already know they aren’t prepared to offer him what he’s feels he’s worth, but could also just be emotions running high after an intense game. 

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I have no doubts they could make it happen, just find it odd he’s yelling about it being his last year as he’s walking off the field last night (that’s what inspired my post in the first place). Seems like he might already know they aren’t prepared to offer him what he’s feels he’s worth, but could also just be emotions running high after an intense game. 

someone MIGHT over pay him and he should shop his services.  I just think the Bengals Can resign him

• Like 1

Germaine Pratt aside…bigger picture it will be interesting to see how the Bengals manage the next few off seasons. They are notorious for being one of the cheapest franchises in the league and making bad decisions that keep them in the gutter.

They got lucky with Burrow and made wise decisions in pairing him with Chase and spending up on the right guys to build a strong defense and o-line. But how with they fair spending potentially 500 million on a QB and keeping the rest of the team together? Do you give big contracts to all 3 of Burrow, Chase, and Higgins? It will be hard to keep an expensive o-line and defense after giving out contracts to those 3. 

I think it’s just as likely they fumble some key decisions and fall back into mediocrity once they start paying Burrow as it is they turn into a 10 year+ dynasty with him.

Bengals probably have 2-3 years before any real cap issues…if they can pull a late 90s early 2000s Steelers and draft for the year after, that might extend out a few more years.

They might lose Bell but didn’t they draft that S Hill last year in the 1st to replace him this year?

2 minutes ago, AFF said:

Bengals probably have 2-3 years before any real cap issues…if they can pull a late 90s early 2000s Steelers and draft for the year after, that might extend out a few more years.

They might lose Bell but didn’t they draft that S Hill last year in the 1st to replace him this year?

Yes. I expect that move to happen too. And I think their cap saving will be in letting Boyd go, and drafting a TE high this year. 

24 minutes ago, August4th said:

Moore already got a oc job lol will team up with Herbert in in LA. 

Yea I mean he was a HC candidate for at least one team (Panthers), not surprised at all.

Just makes me sick that with a little patience and desire to not be mediocre we could have had Kellen Moore running our offense instead of Matt Canada. Moore will do great things with Herbert in LA. Home run hire for them.

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yea I mean he was a HC candidate for at least one team (Panthers), not surprised at all.

Just makes me sick that with a little patience and desire to not be mediocre we could have had Kellen Moore running our offense instead of Matt Canada. Moore will do great things with Herbert in LA. Home run hire for them.

Id take Moore over Canada in a heartbeat, but I feel like he gets overrated based on what he has actually proven and accomplished.   He might get there someday, but right now, he is just an up and comer with alot of room to improve.

24 minutes ago, 43M said:

Id take Moore over Canada in a heartbeat, but I feel like he gets overrated based on what he has actually proven and accomplished.   He might get there someday, but right now, he is just an up and comer with alot of room to improve.

I wouldn’t hire him as a HC yet but he’s easily one of the best young OCs in the league imo. Consistently had a top 4 offense with an overrated QB and a FO (Jerry Jones) who forced him to feed Zeke over Pollard who has clearly been the better player the last 2-3 seasons and also traded away Amari Cooper for close to nothing.

I“ll admit I am probably biased by my feelings about Dak as a QB and the way the Cowboys are run (the Zeke over Pollard thing, trading Cooper, and firing Moore to hand the keys to Mike McCarthy are all criminal offenses).

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

I wouldn’t hire him as a HC yet but he’s easily one of the best young OCs in the league imo. Consistently had a top 4 offense with an overrated QB and a FO (Jerry Jones) who forced him to feed Zeke over Pollard who has clearly been the better player the last 2-3 seasons and also traded away Amari Cooper for close to nothing.

I“ll admit I am probably biased by my feelings about Dak as a QB and the way the Cowboys are run (the Zeke over Pollard thing, trading Cooper, and firing Moore to hand the keys to Mike McCarthy are all criminal offenses).

Cowboys fans were complaining about how predictable and stale his playcalling is this year.

Again, Id take him over Canada easily, but he wouldnt be my top choice.   I think the Chargers is a good landing spot for him.