Week 6 GDT - Bears vs Commies... Why is This Prime Time?

Sugashane

2 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

This is what Trubisky was doing early on, too.

Mitch could never make the kind of throws we see from Fields time to time. Like tonight's TD to Pettis for example.

But then we see things like Fields messing up an easy TD on the overthrow in the first half and it's maddening.

I think in time he will be really good with more experience and a better supporting cast

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Mitch made some incredible throws to be fair. Like Fields, he struggled with consistency and often looked anxious in the pocket.

And like Fields,  he was strong armed into a pocket passer role that largely negated his athletic gifts.  

• Like 2

We had 392 yards of total offence last night...Fields had a hand in 278 of those yards...71% of our offence was Fields...he is continuing to progress even with very little help around him...

Bottom line is we lost that game because we were bullied on both sides of the ball up front...our OL was consistently pushed back towards Fields in pass pro and outside of one big cut back run did very little to help Monty or Herbert in the running game...Fields is doing a great job of just simply bouncing back from some of these hits and consistently getting back up while not showing frustration towards the guys around him...the interior especially last night flat out sucked...we now have 11 days before we play again...changes must be made...get Patrick to centre where hopefully his play can improve because it hasn't been good enough at guard then figure out who our best LG option is...

On defence we are getting next to nothing up front in terms of pass rush which for this defence will never work...you can scheme up pressure with blitz but that is not how this works best...we need better players up front again especially on the interior...the back 7 played really well last night but without consistent pass rush they are going to struggle against better opposition...

Poles & Flus need to be true to their words and build in the trenches or we stand no shot...Fields can get us there...he can even elevate the play of the weapons around us but no QB can do that on his back...protect him and he is the future of this franchise.

• Like 2

No doubt at time the ball needs to come out quicker from Fields...but in year one of a new scheme with who he is throwing too and with this OL what more can we realistically ask from this kid? IMO we just need to get through the season and get him some more talent around him.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

We had 392 yards of total offence last night...Fields had a hand in 278 of those yards...71% of our offence was Fields...he is continuing to progress even with very little help around him...

Bottom line is we lost that game because we were bullied on both sides of the ball up front...our OL was consistently pushed back towards Fields in pass pro and outside of one big cut back run did very little to help Monty or Herbert in the running game...Fields is doing a great job of just simply bouncing back from some of these hits and consistently getting back up while not showing frustration towards the guys around him...the interior especially last night flat out sucked...we now have 11 days before we play again...changes must be made...get Patrick to centre where hopefully his play can improve because it hasn't been good enough at guard then figure out who our best LG option is...

On defence we are getting next to nothing up front in terms of pass rush which for this defence will never work...you can scheme up pressure with blitz but that is not how this works best...we need better players up front again especially on the interior...the back 7 played really well last night but without consistent pass rush they are going to struggle against better opposition...

Poles & Flus need to be true to their words and build in the trenches or we stand no shot...Fields can get us there...he can even elevate the play of the weapons around us but no QB can do that on his back...protect him and he is the future of this franchise.

The only thing I disagree with here is the first paragraph and the final sentence. The DL is absolutely dreadful. Quinn is a joke and I counted 3 times yesterday where he ran right by the ball carrier for no apparent reason. Muhammad is a waste of money. The DT's are pathetic.

The reason I disagree with the first paragraph and final sentence is that Fields had plenty of opportunity yesterday to ice the game: missed a wide open Griffin for a TD, missed a wide open Pettis on an under route on 3rd down, threw a pick inside of the 5, ran with it for 1 yard late when Washington had 10 guys on the field. Those things are on him. Getsy sucks, WR's suck, TE's suck, but those guys aren't at fault for what I just listed. It's 17 games now for Fields. He can't keep doing this s***

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

The only thing I disagree with here is the first paragraph and the final sentence. The DL is absolutely dreadful. Quinn is a joke and I counted 3 times yesterday where he ran right by the ball carrier for no apparent reason. Muhammad is a waste of money. The DT's are pathetic.

The reason I disagree with the first paragraph and final sentence is that Fields had plenty of opportunity yesterday to ice the game: missed a wide open Griffin for a TD, missed a wide open Pettis on an under route on 3rd down, threw a pick inside of the 5, ran with it for 1 yard late when Washington had 10 guys on the field. Those things are on him. Getsy sucks, WR's suck, TE's suck, but those guys aren't at fault for what I just listed. It's 17 games now for Fields. He can't keep doing this s***

We are never going to agree on Fields...you see the throw to Griffin as a miss...I saw a TE who for some unknown reason slowed down and started to try and run sideways instead of just staying on the route...the 3rd down to Pettis wasn't a miss it was very clear PI...the pick inside the 5 off a helmet wasn't a terrible play it is one of those things and the not seeing the 10 men on the field in that situation is something very few QBs would actually see...the weapons suck...the OL is borderline dangerous...I disagree with you on Gesty because I think we are getting guys into the right positions just the players aren't winning enough...for me Fields is developing even with so much trash around him. 

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

We are never going to agree on Fields...you see the throw to Griffin as a miss...I saw a TE who for some unknown reason slowed down and started to try and run sideways instead of just staying on the route...the 3rd down to Pettis wasn't a miss it was very clear PI...the pick inside the 5 off a helmet wasn't a terrible play it is one of those things and the not seeing the 10 men on the field in that situation is something very few QBs would actually see...the weapons suck...the OL is borderline dangerous...I disagree with you on Gesty because I think we are getting guys into the right positions just the players aren't winning enough...for me Fields is developing even with so much trash around him. 

You're really blaming Griffin for that miss? The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

I'm not referring to the Pettis throw in the final minute. I'm referring to the one where he missed Mooney down the sideline on 3rd down and Pettis was open underneath for an easy 1st down

Throwing the ball off of a defender's helmet when the TE is open for a touchdown *is* the fault of the QB, sorry. Who's fault is it otherwise?

The game was lost upfront on both sides.  Yes Fields didn’t play great and left plays on field, but it is really hard to play football with what he is seeing and pressure he is under.

He got brutalized in that game.  Some was his fault, but he is playing hero ball.  

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You're really blaming Griffin for that miss? The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

I'm not referring to the Pettis throw in the final minute. I'm referring to the one where he missed Mooney down the sideline on 3rd down and Pettis was open underneath for an easy 1st down

Throwing the ball off of a defender's helmet when the TE is open for a touchdown *is* the fault of the QB, sorry. Who's fault is it otherwise?

100% I am blaming Griffin for slowing down and ****ting the bed when he through he was so open...just keep running...

And as I said at the time Mooney was 1 on 1 on that route...you have to be aggressive at some point...it was the right decision...

It is no ones fault throwing the ball off a defenders helmet...it is a freak occurrence...

But like I said we will never agree since you just have some weird dislike for Fields who seemingly can do no right in your eyes...along with the rest of this team most of the time. 

Something that I have noticed (granted I don't rewatch film like many of you do) is that Fields seems to be reluctant to throw to receivers running crossing or slant routes. To me it appears that he is having trouble recognizing the difference between what he saw as open at that college level and what is considered open at the NFL level. I wonder if that will improve if and when we get better talent on the roster that he trust or if it is something that he is just going to have problems with moving forward. 

• Like 3