Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

I hate that this discussion is awakening the conspiracy paranoia in me;  is Poles just negligent or did he walk into the season trying to make sure he could select his own QB early next year? 

Both options are bad.  

If he thought Fields could be the guy, it was risky as the talent he surrounded him with was dangerous to both his development and health (see season; this one)

If he just wanted this to be Poles' team and didn't care if Fields could make it, that's just wasteful and arrogant.  I know very little about the upcoming QBs, and if I watch college ball it's by mistake thinking it's Sunday on a Saturday, but it doesn't sound like any of the guys have Fields potential even if some of them offer safer playing styles.  You can argue about sunk costs, but young players with potential getting cast off because they are from a previous GM is bad business.  

The same arguments you're making above apply as well; did he really think these were players to field a competent team? If so, that's very very bad evaluation as his hit rate is lower than idiiots on twitter. If he's just filling out a roster with duds to occupy space and get that draft pick, how on earth did he sell that to George? By all accounts George is a proud if bumbling kind of guy, so was he really sold on a tank right now? Guys like him are often afraid of making aggressive moves that look bad right away, I just can't believe this was what he was sold. 

I'm annoyed at the Bears for turning me into a guy that wants to fire everyone after six games, but this is extemely bad management either way you argue it.  "Just give me a chance to tear this down, waste our young players, draft another QB after I prove this one sucks, and then maybe in 2024-2025 my plan will bear fruit" looks bad on a brochure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Spending $8 million on two projected offensive starters and a 3rd round pick on a WR aren’t “moves” they are replacements for guys let go…

Moves will be when he hopefully drops $20-$25 million on two experienced starting OL…that is a move…like I said there is no way Poles walked into that interview with George & co…preceded to reportedly rip this roster apart for not being any good then said his grand plan was to fix it with Patrick & Pringle…these were guys he saw as starting calibre but more importantly cheap players who he could get on short term contracts so that he could bank as much money in this offseason as possible.

He thought these guys were starting calibre players and they are not. That is the failure. They signed and drafted guys that they were expecting to contribute on offense and across the board they have been crap.

He failed to stabilize the offense with basic NFL talent. I am glad we agree on that.

Saving 130 million in cap space, which they will never be able to spend, and running Fields out with this crew is stupid. You could have easily invested a little bit more in 2022's offense and still have 100+ million in 2023 cap space.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I hate that this discussion is awakening the conspiracy paranoia in me;  is Poles just negligent or did he walk into the season trying to make sure he could select his own QB early next year? 

Both options are bad.  

If he thought Fields could be the guy, it was risky as the talent he surrounded him with was dangerous to both his development and health (see season; this one)

If he just wanted this to be Poles' team and didn't care if Fields could make it, that's just wasteful and arrogant.  I know very little about the upcoming QBs, and if I watch college ball it's by mistake thinking it's Sunday on a Saturday, but it doesn't sound like any of the guys have Fields potential even if some of them offer safer playing styles.  You can argue about sunk costs, but young players with potential getting cast off because they are from a previous GM is bad business.  

The same arguments you're making above apply as well; did he really think these were players to field a competent team? If so, that's very very bad evaluation as his hit rate is lower than idiiots on twitter. If he's just filling out a roster with duds to occupy space and get that draft pick, how on earth did he sell that to George? By all accounts George is a proud if bumbling kind of guy, so was he really sold on a tank right now? Guys like him are often afraid of making aggressive moves that look bad right away, I just can't believe this was what he was sold. 

I'm annoyed at the Bears for turning me into a guy that wants to fire everyone after six games, but this is extemely bad management either way you argue it.  "Just give me a chance to tear this down, waste our young players, draft another QB after I prove this one sucks, and then maybe in 2024-2025 my plan will bear fruit" looks bad on a brochure. 

Tear Down-Totally Fine

Tear Down where your young QB gets killed because the moves you did make sucked-Not Okay

• Like 2

I did not need Ryan Poles to build a good offense. I did not need him to "fix" a bunch of spots with long term guys. I did not need him to add elite talent. The resources were simply not there to do that.

But putting an unprofessional unit together is not acceptable. This offensive unit simply should not be accepted by ay of us regardless of excuses and "the plan".

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I did not need Ryan Poles to build a good offense. I did not need him to "fix" a bunch of spots with long term guys. I did not need him to add elite talent. The resources were simply not there to do that.

But putting an unprofessional unit together is not acceptable. This offensive unit simply should not be accepted by ay of us regardless of excuses and "the plan".

Maybe the plan was to set the bar so low that anything that happens next year looks like a quantum leap in the right direction. Poles is playing chess.

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Like 1

If WRs were Cooper, Pickens and Mooney you would feel a lot better now and going forward.

None of that is hindsight.

Brian Allen did not sign for much more than Patrick and has the better resume by far.  

Watching Jenkins I am not so sure he couldn't have played left tackle.   Not sure what they are doing on oline.

You could have done good things and added good young pieces this year without spending a lot or giving up big picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Saving 130 million in cap space, which they will never be able to spend, and running Fields out with this crew is stupid. You could have easily invested a little bit more in 2022's offense and still have 100+ million in 2023 cap space.

Can't the money be rolled into future seasons? If the Bears end the 2023 season with 50M unspent, they can roll 50M into 2024 and so on.

Obviously that strategy only makes sense if you don't view Justin Fields as your franchise QB.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Can't the money be rolled into future seasons? If the Bears end the 2023 season with 50M unspent, they can roll 50M into 2024 and so on.

Obviously that strategy only makes sense if you don't view Justin Fields as your franchise QB.

Yes it can. The cap is a fluid number from year to year.

Just like we could have used some future cap space to sign better players this season than Lucas Patrick and Byron Pringle.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He thought these guys were starting calibre players and they are not. That is the failure. They signed and drafted guys that they were expecting to contribute on offense and across the board they have been crap.

He failed to stabilize the offense with basic NFL talent. I am glad we agree on that.

Again there are levels to this…how many good starting calibre WRs (not on rookie deals) do you know making $4 million a season? These guys are replacement level signings and the contracts prove that…

Again I am not saying I wouldn’t have invested more especially in the OL but it is clear what the strategy is…if we have a terrible year this year then dominate the division for the next 10 would anyone care? Of course not…bottom line is this is how Poles thinks we are best to build for long term success and we are all just along for the ride…until year 3 or 4 we won’t truly know if he was right or wrong.

30 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Again there are levels to this…how many good starting calibre WRs (not on rookie deals) do you know making $4 million a season? These guys are replacement level signings and the contracts prove that…

Again I am not saying I wouldn’t have invested more especially in the OL but it is clear what the strategy is…if we have a terrible year this year then dominate the division for the next 10 would anyone care? Of course not…bottom line is this is how Poles thinks we are best to build for long term success and we are all just along for the ride…until year 3 or 4 we won’t truly know if he was right or wrong.

Then why were 70% of fans psyched about the Pringle signing when it came official?

Poles' fans talked about how he was ascending and a steal

27 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Then why were 70% of fans psyched about the Pringle signing when it came official?

Poles' fans talked about how he was ascending and a steal

Because it was a pretty smart move…he had been productive and fit the scheme but no one thought he was the 2nd coming…also no player who gets hurt is an automatic bust…let’s actually see him on the field when fully healthy because we call him that.

52 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Because it was a pretty smart move…he had been productive and fit the scheme but no one thought he was the 2nd coming…also no player who gets hurt is an automatic bust…let’s actually see him on the field when fully healthy because we call him that.

Why was it a smart move if in your second to last post you said he wasn't a good starting caliber WR?