Time to Fire LaFleur, Gute, and Murphy And Burn The House Down

LLcheesehead12

10 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Eh idk about 1 of the most talented rosters. Our WR/TE group was the worst in the NFL. OL was a huge question mark with the health status of Bakh and Jenkins unknown. DL was also a question mark. Jarran Reed is a JAG and Wyatt at the end of the day is still a rookie DT. 

I am going to disagree about the OL.  I think that we all thought the OL would be very, very good, especially when Jenkins returned.  Turns out, there was quite a bit of struggle.  Bakhtiari has been in and out of the line-up.  Jenkins was not the same as before injury. Neither Runyan, nor Myers improved.  And Newman seemingly regressed.  The rookies, while talented, are not ready yet.  It just adds up to an underachieving unit.  And I think that it is a lot more of a surprise than some are letting on.  It certainly was for me.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am going to disagree about the OL.  I think that we all thought the OL would be very, very good, especially when Jenkins returned.  Turns out, there was quite a bit of struggle.  Bakhtiari has been in and out of the line-up.  Jenkins was not the same as before injury. Neither Runyan, nor Myers improved.  And Newman seemingly regressed.  The rookies, while talented, are not ready yet.  It just adds up to an underachieving unit.  And I think that it is a lot more of a surprise than some are letting on.  It certainly was for me.  

I think the prevailing thought here was it had the potential to be a good line, but we need to wait and see with the Bakh and Jenkins injuries. I wasn't positive Bakh was ever gonna play again after the Lions game last year and Jenkins came back way earlier than expected. I, and many other posters here, thought the release of Turner was a bad idea. His versatility was invaluable 

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 4:32 PM, St Vince said:

Sounds like we need to give the majority of the blame to Gute and the scouting department. They're the ones picking the talent.

Watching KC we can't use the because we pick so late excuse.  Every WR  KC has can get separation against good defenses. Our playcalling is now  reduced to 2 yard passes hoping to get big YAC.

That play will never be successful when teams know what you're going to do. Never thought I'd be saying this but this offense looks more stale than Macs.

So... we made a play for MVS (the WR we drafted) and Smith-Schuster. We drafted two better receivers than theirs (in terms of production), and I think we maybe are talking about how lucky they were to draft Kelce. Remember when they took Fisher like 1 overall? 

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Biggest disappointment of the season. We were always going to need a strong Oline and run game to make this thing work this year. Control the clock, score some points and let young receivers find their spots. Then hand it back to a rested and talented D. Turns out the line never got to its needed level and the D had a few quarters worth of dominance that got spent after offense couldn’t even come close to winning TOP. I never expected a record setting year, but it hurts to see the whole thing fall apart. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

The O-Line (11-19-21-51-27), RBs (8th & 33rd), and defense (7th) are decent when healthy.  Clearly, they'll need to draft a WR (preferably Quentin Johnson), starting with their first pick.  In sharp contrast to the rest of the NFC-North, the Packers don't have many other pressing needs [other than depth]. 

On the hand, they'd be my last choice for a complete overhaul.  On the other hand, a hard look at the coach & GM would seem reasonable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

The O-Line (11-19-21-51-27), RBs (8th & 33rd), and defense (7th) are decent when healthy.  Clearly, they'll need to draft a WR (preferably Quentin Johnson), starting with their first pick.  In sharp contrast to the rest of the NFC-North, the Packers don't have many other pressing needs [other than depth]. 

On the hand, they'd be my last choice for a complete overhaul.  On the other hand, a hard look at the coach & GM would seem reasonable.

Awful.

OT or Edge Rusher in the first. 

Bakhtiari is a cut candidate due to health and cost, and Yosh will be heading into a walk year. Our current replacements are Tom who is WAY too small atm and Jenkins who played poorly on the edge. 

Rashan Gary may not be back for the first half of next year due to injury and Preston Smith will be 32 next season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Awful.

Bakhtiari is a cut candidate due to health and cost, and Yosh will be heading into a walk year. Our current replacements are Tom who is WAY too small atm and Jenkins who played poorly on the edge. 

Rashan Gary may not be back for the first half of next year due to injury and Preston Smith will be 32 next season. 

Do you think Yosh and Tom could be future bookends? 

My thought process is that if cut Bakh you save about $6M. If you draft his replacement at 10th overall, you probably pay $4M. So the net savings is minimal. If you think you can get by with Yosh and Tom, you could hope Bakh gets healthy enough to displace one of them, and you have Rasheed Walker and Caleb Jones as developmental guys.

Yosh is only and RFA, so the cost to retain him should be minimal compared to a draft pick

I'm not saying we should pass on a generation tackle prospect or anything, but I'm generally curious of the thought process. I would think we could draft and OT in the middle rounds and cut Bakh post-June 1 if you like the progress of Tom/Nijman

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Do you think Yosh and Tom could be future bookends? 

My thought process is that if cut Bakh you save about $6M. If you draft his replacement at 10th overall, you probably pay $4M. So the net savings is minimal. If you think you can get by with Yosh and Tom, you could hope Bakh gets healthy enough to displace one of them, and you have Rasheed Walker and Caleb Jones as developmental guys.

Yosh is only and RFA, so the cost to retain him should be minimal compared to a draft pick

I'm not saying we should pass on a generation tackle prospect or anything, but I'm generally curious of the thought process. I would think we could draft and OT in the middle rounds and cut Bakh post-June 1 if you like the progress of Tom/Nijman

While I think Bakhtiari is the upper limit for Tom, I also can't comfortably bet the franchise on that trajectory. 

Yosh is cheap for next year, and then the decision becomes very very difficult. He's a great swing Tackle, but starting Tackle money in the NFL even for a low end guy is now like $12 million and there's no guarantee somebody isn't going to like the raw clay and overpay him based on the assumption his best days are in front of him. 

Jones and Walker aren't anything at this point. They don't factor into my decision making at all.

I would continue picking lineman in the middle rounds, I don't love any of our interior guys at this point (after Jenkins extension anyway), so adding more bodies into that competition is never a bad thing, but I don't expect any of them to start, much less outside. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Agree, the OL is a focal point, but a large part of this entire team is playing like garbage. 

8 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I'll pound the table for the first pick to be a WR.  I'll be wrong, but I'll still do it because I like shiny things.

What we really should do is look for a franchise LT or EDGE rusher with the first pick.  (Assuming the top 2 QB's are off of the board.)

• Like 1

Looking at the laughable title of the thread.  I'm not sure if that's even possible.  I guess it could happen in a doomsday situation, but it would be interesting to see how that would unfold.  It certainly isn't happening anytime soon, but its interesting.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Awful.

Maybe so, but the notion that Packer misfortunes and the departure of Devante Adams were not mere coincidence is a rare point of unanimity among geeks and talking heads.  Are you seeing a significant number of 2023 mock drafts that have the Pack taking anyone other than a WR in round #1?

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Awful.

If Rodgers comes back, I agree. If not, take a WR. Your 2023 goal becomes evaluate Love, not win a title. Therefore defense really is "good enough" and the OL will be fine as Tom-Jenkins-Myers-Runyan-Nijmam.

The FA class for receivers is brutal. You've shown you can't complete a trade for one either, trying to make an evaluation on Love with Doubs, Watson, Toure, Rodgers and maybe Lazard isn't fair.

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If Rodgers comes back, I agree. If not, take a WR. Your 2023 goal becomes evaluate Love, not win a title. Therefore defense really is "good enough" and the OL will be fine as Tom-Jenkins-Myers-Runyan-Nijmam.

The FA class for receivers is brutal. You've shown you can't complete a trade for one either, trying to make an evaluation on Love with Doubs, Watson, Toure, Rodgers and maybe Lazard isn't fair.

I have no plans to spend a ton of resources at WR at any point in Loves career. He better learn to make due with non elite wide receivers. He's not going to get them barring a coincidental homerun in the draft. 

If you're alright projecting Tom at RT next year based on what he's down so far, I've got no guilt projecting Doubs as a solid starter.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I have no plans to spend a ton of resources at WR at any point in Loves career. He better learn to make due with non elite wide receivers. He's not going to get them barring a coincidental homerun in the draft. 

If you're alright projecting Tom at RT next year based on what he's down so far, I've got no guilt projecting Doubs as a solid starter.

Then he better be elite. Look at how Waddle and Hill have elevated Tua. QB>>>>OT or EDGE. Make sure you have that squared away and then worry about building a title contender. If your QB is solid but unspectacular, strong WR play can elevate him to that level.

• Like 1