2022 GDT 2-5 Steelers visit the 6-0 Eagles

Steeler Hitman

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I personally feel like you don’t have talent if you don’t have that one guy you can say “go win your matchup”. I think TJ and Minkah are the only two you can do that with on this team at this moment. 

HM: Heyward Sr, Pickens, Simms on ST (dude is a good returner and thats worth something, cut gunner asap too) and lets not forget 50% or our offence in Boswell 😄

I get your point though, there is a lack of higher end talent across the roster.

When I watch these games, I don't blame Kenny at all, despite some rookie mistakes, thats part of learning. I have issues with some penalties, and then talent across the board.  Get a legit CB or 2,  and a RB/OL combo that works.  Warren is clearly the RB1 on THIS team with THIS OL. 

Throw to Pickens as much as possible, I don't think there is much that most can do about this with Kenny throwing accurately to #14. Get that going, see what happens.

We have to go back to 2009 as the last time we didn't have a single OL that could even be a pro bowl alternate. Turner was decent last year, a former pro bowler and they let him walk

CB - we are in a passing league and same applies from above to CB. 

Can't control the LOS and can't cover WR's . Thats how you should be 1-7 😊

Also, there are always quality vets with a few years left for various spots.  If we had a quality reserve or rotational Edge player, the defence might be better off.  Eagles got Quinn, and already have good starters that are healthy. Steelers could learn from this.

This team wasted$ on Johnson, could have a legit CB instead 🥳

Hopes are that the new GM regime will get this corrected and do better in the draft. 

This 2022 team doesn't resemble any steeler teams from the winning years. The defence isn't good and they can't run the ball.  Fail

Edited by 3rivers

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I am shocked at how Bush has been invisible considering how he was as a rookie. Still makes the occasional play but is quiet most of the time

If you pay attention, you see Bush STANDING near the ball after a tackle 5+ yards down the field.

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

I personally feel like you don’t have talent if you don’t have that one guy you can say “go win your matchup”. I think TJ and Minkah are the only two you can do that with on this team at this moment. 

It's funny because warfelg was telling us this defense was going to be good this off-season.

Highest paid defense in the league. Like, I'm pretty sure the coaching staff had a lot of say in locking up Witherspoon and signing Wallace. The defense is littered with premium draft picks.

And I can do nothing but laugh at Najee throwing his OL under the bus after talking about leadership all week. Warren is more effective running behind the same OL as our first round pick RB. But he isn't a leader of men or something and doesn't remind Coach T of himself, so we continue to see them give more touches to the Alabama guy.

Edited by CKSteeler
  • Like 1

And how many points do the Steelers have to lose by before Mike Tomlin admits that major changes are needed, not minor tweaks? How many losses need to pile up?

You aren't one or two tweaks away. It isn't just getting the details down to close games out. Your team sucks. Yea, there's a lot of details wrong, but the entire thing is pretty broken on both sides of the ball right now, coach.

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

so we continue to see them give more touches to the Alabama guy.

this is what bothers me. Bench him because he isn't as good as Warren, or at least share snaps and go from there by committee . 

Highest paid defense in the league

when Watt and Wallace are out there it's different.  I never thought they were the highest paid but there you have it

And how many points do the Steelers have to lose by before Mike Tomlin admits that major changes are needed, not minor tweaks? How many losses need to pile up?

this is what we MIGHT find out. Thats the problem, will he make the changes? I think top 5 pick and he might do it. Ideally they can canada now and use the bye week to get ready. If Watt returns as well as Wallace and others get healthy, then maybe get some wins? Maybe this will be a gut check for the roster and then the offseason will have the major changes. IOW, people are 'playing for their jobs' . Well, their jobs here under this contract. They will just go to another team for a similar wage if they get the boot

• Like 1

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

@Dcash4these comments just kinda reinforce that guys just aren’t good at knowing the playcall:

In week 8 of a season with largely the same group of guys with an OC who was here last year....that's as damning an admission of poor coaching as you can get. 

Lotta talk about accountability. That's a fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me kinda thing. Humans will get away with what you let them get away with. 

I would still have Canada as candidate number 1 for change, but something needs to happen these next two weeks. Maybe that's just benching (short term) your most "untouchable" guys based on contracts like Chuks, Daniels, or DJ. Just SHOW guys that you are actually willing to put guys down that are underperforming. It's not really even about deserving a benching. 

Everyone is going to hate this....but if Kendrick Green works hard in practice...give him a hat over Dotson. It's not about if he is better... it's about dudes getting handed L's for performance or lack of preparation/study/whatever and showing that putting in the work matters. 

Firing Canada has nothing to do with getting better for me. But this team is yoooooung on offense. You can't keep 21 year old George Pickens in an environment that lacks accountability and is becoming toxic. That carries over into the future. 8 of our starters on offense are 25 and younger, with the other 3 being 26. Tomlin needs to run that room like he did his first camp with a team wearing super bowl rings when he made them wear their names on tape.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I would still have Canada as candidate number 1 for change, but something needs to happen these next two weeks. Maybe that's just benching (short term) your most "untouchable" guys based on contracts like Chuks, Daniels, or DJ. Just SHOW guys that you are actually willing to put guys down that are underperforming. It's not really even about deserving a benching. 

Depends on why you are benching them.  Are you just doing it because they are ‘untouchable’ or are they actually messing up?  I rather do it to guys that actually are having issues.  Show that it’s not ok to keep messing up.

This is where the lack of depth or potential costs you.  If you bench Moore/Chucks, it’s Scott/Davis coming in and neither of them are the answer. Green for Dotson has some merit, but I think Davis (who’s a decent guard) should be the one going in there.  Although I will chuckle a touch at your instance that DJ is the only one that can get open, then using him as a name to bench.

I think I would do the following player wise:

Dotson out, Davis to LG.  

Gentry starts over Muth.

Muth to ‘flex TE’ to motion in for runs (rather than Claypool).

Some Pickens in the slot, Sims outside.

I want to go back to something I said during the week though that didn’t come up but you could see in that game.  I referenced 3 years ago against the Eagles how the sweeps were timed from under center so that Claypool passed Ben right when the snap happened.  Claypools passing TD is the first time I’ve seen that since then.

Something is really off with the timing of even the snaps.  Guys aren’t moving all that fast through the jet sweeps.  The snap rarely comes on that first movement.  Like I pointed out in games with the WR screens, ours happen with WR’s just pivoting to face the QB rather than being on the move.  Heck even the scramble drills look off as everyone is moving away and Kenny is looking for someone to work back to him.

To me all of that is coaching.  Snap counts are always the same but guys seem to mess it up.  Heck one I’ve noticed, I thought the RG looking back for snap count to start, tapping the C, then snapping 2 seconds later was just a DDC/Pouncey communication thing; but we still do it.  Like clockwork in every shotgun snap and it causes teams to perfectly time up blitzes.  So are we not coaching a variety of snap counts or are guys unable to handle it?

I know you were a big Colbert defender, but I think that right now it’s hard to say that Colbert really set this team up for future success.  I know you were a fan of ‘make the playoffs’ for a long time, but that’s just caught up to us and left us here.  I’m not happy with the state of this team overall at the moment, and the FO can’t go blameless.

I think I would do the following player wise:

Dotson out, Davis to LG.  

Gentry starts over Muth.

Muth to ‘flex TE’ to motion in for runs (rather than Claypool).

Some Pickens in the slot, Sims outside.

what about Warren RB1 and Harris reserve RB (injury to Warren is only reason he plays) or just trade Harris?

Davis to get the snaps Wormley (no idea how he is on the  team)  was getting

fire canada

Although I will chuckle a touch at your instance that DJ is the only one that can get open, then using him as a name to bench.

This use of benching has nothing to do with being a tactical move towards improvement at the individual positions. We would suffer on the field if you take DJ off it.  It's a psychological play to improve the locker room and habits. It's a short term change for a long term solution. 

Think of the prison analogy: you find the biggest guy in there and you knock him out. Benching Dotson doesn't do a lot. He is a so-so player who was in a position battle on a rookie deal that likely won't get extended. Who notices that?

Bench guys who just got paid to be here? Different story. Everyone notices if you deactivate DJ, Daniels, or Chuks for a game. If people see them lose their jobs, they start thinking about how easy it would be for them to lose theirs. 

In production based businesses, people need to lose their jobs when there is no production. Tomlin, so far, just lets everyone wallow in it to let them work themselves out. That worked when he had a team full of vets who had all be there. Young guys probably don't work the same. You have to motivate them out. It's like the scene from Bull Durham when crash tells the manager "these are kids, you gotta scare them". 

20 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

This use of benching has nothing to do with being a tactical move towards improvement at the individual positions. We would suffer on the field if you take DJ off it.  It's a psychological play to improve the locker room and habits. It's a short term change for a long term solution. 

Think of the prison analogy: you find the biggest guy in there and you knock him out. Benching Dotson doesn't do a lot. He is a so-so player who was in a position battle on a rookie deal that likely won't get extended. Who notices that?

Bench guys who just got paid to be here? Different story. Everyone notices if you deactivate DJ, Daniels, or Chuks for a game. If people see them lose their jobs, they start thinking about how easy it would be for them to lose theirs. 

In production based businesses, people need to lose their jobs when there is no production. Tomlin, so far, just lets everyone wallow in it to let them work themselves out. That worked when he had a team full of vets who had all be there. Young guys probably don't work the same. You have to motivate them out. It's like the scene from Bull Durham when crash tells the manager "these are kids, you gotta scare them". 

I would argue that DJ is the last guy to bench right now given his attitude this year.

Benching any of those guys could end up causing players to give up, thinking “if they bench him, why should I even try, they clearly don’t want any of us here”.  And if I were that guy who’s job “should” be secure and I get benched to make a point? I would want out.

Bench guys who are not playing well.  

I would either take playcalling away from Canada or fire him, let Sullivan deliver the news to a guy like Dotson that he’s benched because he doesn’t X, Y, Z and use that to get everyone to sit up.  The issue with your analogy is when you go into prison and knock out the biggest guy, you just put a target on your back if you don’t have people watching it.

We don’t need Michael Corleone whacking Clemenza, we need the new guy taking out a low level foot soldier to gain trust.

EDIT:

Basically I think we got an offensive room that’s splintering, and this would just shatter it.  Smaller change with lasting effects will be a galvanizing thing.

Edited by warfelg

4 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

maybe THEY don't like him and this is how they go about it. Similar to a LT letting the passrusher kill the QB.  Read the comments and see what I mean if true. It sure looked like it

https://youtu.be/fdfq-fJ8Fyw?t=33

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
If you want to find your fast way out of the NFL, then don’t give shout full effort every play. Teams see that and will not sign you because you can get someone seriously hurt.