2022 GDT 2-5 Steelers visit the 6-0 Eagles

Steeler Hitman

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
If you want to find your fast way out of the NFL, then don’t give shout full effort every play. Teams see that and will not sign you because you can get someone seriously hurt. 

not always, I mean in that clip, that player at LT went on to have quite a career (with the lions) 🤤.  Some teams let that slide more than others, just like conduct issues we had here with AB, Ben etc.  It depends on the regime . I agree though, players that don't try to play their best should sit the bench and get their walking papers via trade. 

Very interesting thing to watch:

So at the end of the article you get Todd Bowles quote as to why Devin White was “loafing” and its that “he was gassed” (3Q play IIRC).

When Tomlin sees something like that he comments that “the effort and desire isn’t there”.

I dunno about y’all, but that Bowles quote would make me want to launch him to the moon.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

There is no quick fix for this team.  They have just come out of 10+ years of tight salary cap.  They will have to spend wisely to shore up some positions.  I would love to see them spend on the Oline and Dline but we will see

This…

Theyll have roughly $40 mill(give or take 5 mill) after they cut Trubisky this offseason.

It goes up over $100 mill after the 2024 season.

Redo the lines in FA and draft and go from there…then you could maybe go for a splash move like the Dolphins/Eagles did and go get a stud WR like Justin Jefferson/Tee Higgins/Waddle.

Even though they would have to overpay…Orlando Brown at LT would be nice.

@warfelg that White play is bad, obvious effort or conditioning problem.  It shouldn't go over well in film study day thats for sure.  Coaches need to step in and address issues like this right away.  In this world now though, it turns up on social media and there is no way out of it for the player or coach but lets see what happens.

Najee had his brain dead play where he tried to juke the defender and got nothing. Team captains need to be chosen carefully. White may have been tired,  Najee just brain dead or shying from a collision - trade him . 

Do you think effort is the problem here though ? It takes effort to pay attention to details, but as far as physical effort on the field, are there players obviously mailing it in?  Johnson could have made a better attempt on the INT in the fins game is an example, not the worst offender , but still I never cared for it.  Steve Target would chase the player down and force the fumble, Johnson just gives up on the play

Look at some UFA, Philly is going to have to replace their entire Dline.  I would not mind signing Gravedigger again.  Letting him go was painful. 

They can get a decent RT and Center in FA.  I would not mind making a run for James Bradbury(CB) or Da'Ron Payne(DT)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AFF said:

This…

Theyll have roughly $40 mill(give or take 5 mill) after they cut Trubisky this offseason.

It goes up over $100 mill after the 2024 season.

Redo the lines in FA and draft and go from there…then you could maybe go for a splash move like the Dolphins/Eagles did and go get a stud WR like Justin Jefferson/Tee Higgins/Waddle.

Even though they would have to overpay…Orlando Brown at LT would be nice.

I wouldn't get too carried away with wanting a elite WR1, chances are the team they are with will pay them as well and who would take a discount to play here on a losing team ? Plus, I believe Pickens is THAT guy anyways, and possible diva elite WR1 from UFA might complain about Pickens getting more targets. WR is  good with Pickens, Claypool and Simms with Austin hopefully returning. A solid Vet that can be a great leader would help the unit for sure and UFA usually has a few of those every year. 

The lines are always what I would say should be improved. I actually like he DL when healthy, and Leal  could be ideal here.  Depth via UFA quality vet for Edge would help, just imagine if we had Quinn type vet right now with TJ out or if/when Highsmith is out. Or of course a rotation depending on who is matching up better and to keep everyone fresh. 

OL though, this is starting to bother me. They aren't really bad, but tolerable enough to not get heavily criticized  it seems, under the radar as it is.  I still think Warren alone will help the run game and that could help the pass game and pass pro via reduced pass rush . Falling behind badly  because ehe defence is bad makes this worse.  Sure I would prefer legit pro bowl OL, but the way colbert put this team together, it ain't happening. 

Can we all agree the team needs a Haden like vet CB and then another high pick legit CB, not artie burns type pick either? Senseless watching this defence in this league as teams will throw at will. If TJ is healthy, that changes, but now you are putting all that on a single player  being near 100% healthy. Not a good idea. 

Lots to correct, much of which is filberts doing, and undoing that will eat up some cap and involve a few more players than typical offseason.   The OL for example, could use a 2+ new player from what I can see and that can get pricey in UFA and isn't guaranteed via draft. If they rely on the draft like they did with the secondary , they might have years of bad OL as we did with DB's when relying on the draft . 

There is no telling what the new FO will do either. It should be a very busy off season no matter what the approach is, because if they keep canada and najee out there, this team will be a top 5 pick  draft time.  Maybe thats what they want?

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Look at some UFA, Philly is going to have to replace their entire Dline.  I would not mind signing Gravedigger again.  Letting him go was painful. 

They can get a decent RT and Center in FA.  I would not mind making a run for James Bradbury(CB) or Da'Ron Payne(DT)

this would be good, maybe you can get into the FO before UFA 🥳

what the FO does in the offseason will have a major role in my interest next season. I'm not watching a terrible OL or a defence without legit CB's.  If Canada is still here, ticket holders should demand a refund until he is fired. Picket line outside to fire him (pun intended to help  our QB ) 

I see the lions fired a positional coach, maybe Tomlin should fire canada

Edited by 3rivers

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I wouldn't get too carried away with wanting a elite WR1, chances are the team they are with will pay them as well and who would take a discount to play here on a losing team ? Plus, I believe Pickens is THAT guy anyways, and possible diva elite WR1 from UFA might complain about Pickens getting more targets. WR is  good with Pickens, Claypool and Simms with Austin hopefully returning. A solid Vet that can be a great leader would help the unit for sure and UFA usually has a few of those every year. 

The lines are always what I would say should be improved. I actually like he DL when healthy, and Leal  could be ideal here.  Depth via UFA quality vet for Edge would help, just imagine if we had Quinn type vet right now with TJ out or if/when Highsmith is out. Or of course a rotation depending on who is matching up better and to keep everyone fresh. 

OL though, this is starting to bother me. They aren't really bad, but tolerable enough to not get heavily criticized  it seems, under the radar as it is.  I still think Warren alone will help the run game and that could help the pass game and pass pro via reduced pass rush . Falling behind badly  because ehe defence is bad makes this worse.  Sure I would prefer legit pro bowl OL, but the way colbert put this team together, it ain't happening. 

Can we all agree the team needs a Haden like vet CB and then another high pick legit CB, not artie burns type pick either? Senseless watching this defence in this league as teams will throw at will. If TJ is healthy, that changes, but now you are putting all that on a single player  being near 100% healthy. Not a good idea. 

Lots to correct, much of which is filberts doing, and undoing that will eat up some cap and involve a few more players than typical offseason.   The OL for example, could use a 2+ new player from what I can see and that can get pricey in UFA and isn't guaranteed via draft. If they rely on the draft like they did with the secondary , they might have years of bad OL as we did with DB's when relying on the draft . 

There is no telling what the new FO will do either. It should be a very busy off season no matter what the approach is, because if they keep canada and najee out there, this team will be a top 5 pick  draft time.  Maybe thats what they want?

My stud WR comment is more in line with something you do a year or 2 years from now…I’m a fan of providing Pickett(or if he fails whomever next) the weapons to make them succeed.

16 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would love Payne or Gravedigger honestly.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Benching any of those guys could end up causing players to give up, thinking “if they bench him, why should I even try, they clearly don’t want any of us here”

If that happens, I would be thankful the guys who will quit that easily raised their hands for you to clear the deck moving forward.  

We have very different opinions on motivation, which is fine. IMO, if you are not happy with DJs attitude, every snap you give him reinforces that what he is doing is fine and seeing as he is the top of totem pole in that room in terms of getting paid, it's a cascading effect of saying "eh, who cares what I do" through the room and the team. 

I don't think this offense is one screw being tightened away from a cohesive group. There seems to be a lot of broken pieces and the frustration is building. You should be working to get to the head of it not starting at the lowest level -- that time is long gone 8 weeks in. 

Maybe that's just Canada, which is why I would start there. But this room lacks leadership. The person that was trying to be the leader is also one of its biggest culprits in playing poorly (Najee). That's not going to end well. I don't think tinkering will help this group. Tomlins going to need to get heavily involved. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

If that happens, I would be thankful the guys who will quit that easily raised their hands for you to clear the deck moving forward.  

We have very different opinions on motivation, which is fine. IMO, if you are not happy with DJs attitude, every snap you give him reinforces that what he is doing is fine and seeing as he is the top of totem pole in that room in terms of getting paid, it's a cascading effect of saying "eh, who cares what I do" through the room and the team. 

I don't think this offense is one screw being tightened away from a cohesive group. There seems to be a lot of broken pieces and the frustration is building. You should be working to get to the head of it not starting at the lowest level -- that time is long gone 8 weeks in. 

Maybe that's just Canada, which is why I would start there. But this room lacks leadership. The person that was trying to be the leader is also one of its biggest culprits in playing poorly (Najee). That's not going to end well. I don't think tinkering will help this group. Tomlins going to need to get heavily involved. 

Agreed, coaches know there's many many ways of fixing issues.  My attitude issue with DJ might be fixed with a benching, might be made worse.  The reason I wouldn't bench him is you don't want to make a bad situation worse.

I wish we brought in a different QB than Mitch TBH.  Someone that if they were benched could still be a leader.  Dalton, Taylor, Brissett.  And I wish we went big at OL or WR for a vet.  The offense is so young hand I think they leaned a little too much on Harris becoming a leader.  And I know age has little to do with it, but when you get a guy who's been in the league 8-12 years to be in there, young guys act different.  Ben wasn't a great leader, but one thing is everyone respected him in the locker room when he talked. Offensively we don't have that guy. (I used Ben because even playing poorly he had the pay).

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

Do you think effort is the problem here though

Not with Najee.  I think Najee knows he's the workhorse and is hurt and is playing to avoid injury.  It's why I want more of a rotation and less a workhorse, keeps guys fresh giving it their all.