Was Drew Brees a system QB or a natural talent akin to Aaron Rodgers?

notthatbluestuff

Was Drew Brees a system QB or a natural talent akin to Aaron Rodgers?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

13 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Brees was the beneficiary of playing on turf, in a dome, with a much better HC, a better run game, and better receivers. He was the perfect "System QB" in a way. I don't know if anybody besides Brady could have performed more efficiently under Brees' circumstances. However, Rodgers was plain BETTER. Top 5 arm talent ever, if not top 2. More accurate at every level of the field besides within 10 yards of the LoS. More athletic, creative, and ballsy. If you want me to pick in a controlled, clean environment, I'll go Brees, but when talking about outdoors, need to duel with another QB, and make huge plays, Rodgers is better. Rodgers is probably my 6-7 greatest QB ever, and Brees might not be top 10.

what?
Wasn't prime Rodgers receivers Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Jordy Nelson... all on the same team for years? Who was Brees' Colston, Meachem and Devery Henderson or Lance Moore? Saints had great running game without the workhorse with Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory... but GB had their own versions with Ryan Grant and James Starks until Grant got injured... but they always kept the RB position talented, then when they moved on from Grant they drafted Eddie Lacy who was a bowling ball until he got fat. I wouldn't say Brees had a notably more talented RB group over the years than Rodgers. You could argue Bush was supremely talented, but he was supposed to be the chosen one at the position and was more of a good role player for his career.

Aaron has a better arm and is one of the greatest ever. Brees doesn't need to be the natural greatest arm talent to be a natural talent like Rodgers. He is a natural talent in leadership and accuracy. Rodgers sat and inherited a team an ancient Favre almost took to the SB, Brees got hurt and as a FA went to a New Orleans team that was perenially awful. Brees' talent to elevate that franchise was special, and if you took him from NOLA and put him on another team I don't suspect he'd stop being successful -- his 5,000 yard seasons over and over might.

I saw Brees' whole career, and he was no system QB. He thrived in San Diego as well as New Orleans. His talent could have made the difference for almost any team.

Peak Rodgers was a little better than him, but neither inspired much fear in the playoffs after a while. You just knew they would run into bad luck or their supporting casts would let them down, and that would be it.

26 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

You've just answered your own question.

Right...with an opinion. I didn't make the thread, so I'm asking what the original line of thinking was from OP...or you...

I don't know what your definition of "natural talent" is, so I wanted clarification. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I don't get it. Is there premise with this question from the jump that Rodgers would thrive in any offense because of his "natural talent"? If that's the case, why wouldn't Brees? Because he seem pretty naturally talented himself...

Brees wasn't necessarily the most physically gifted passer, but he beat you with his brain and archer level accuracy.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 5:18 AM, biggie. said:

2011 Rodgers was damn near unstoppable.

I would mention 2011 Drew Brees was an absolute machine as well. Threw for 5,476 yards, 46 touchdowns, and a 71.2% completion percentage. He also had nearly 1,000 yards passing (928 pass yards) in just 2 playoff games that season. Also had 7 passing touchdowns in those 2 games. In other words, Brees accounted for over 6,400 yards passing in 18 games in 2011.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:46 AM, biggie. said:

Lol, Drew Brees a "system QB".

This is a guy that played at an elite level for well over a decade regardless of the talent around him and put up with legendarily bad defenses. He helped completely turn around the culture of a perennial loser.

I agree Rodgers is better, but to say Brees isn't a top ten all timer and is a "system QB" is the most insanely idiotic thing I have heard.

If someone wants to put Brees in their top 10 I won't argue but if some don't I don't think its crazy either.

In no particular order.

Manning

Brady

Montana

Marino

Rodgers

Staubach

Elway

Young

Favre

Unitas

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 2:09 PM, Duluther said:

It’s really not insane at all to name ten better all-time QBs than Brees.

Yup. Brees is a fringe top 10 imo. Off the bat you can name Brady, Manning, Unitas, Graham, Marino as 6 guys that are probably flat better based on resume. Rodgers at this point has the acolades to be placed ahead of him. So now that's seven. Are there 3 guys you can find amongst Elway, Farve, Young, Staubach, Mahomes, Starr, Tarkenton, etc that you would put over Brees? Young t o me would be an easy one. Farve would probably have to get the nod. I think Mahomes is well on a pace to pass Brees. Elway went to 5 Super Bowls and has an MVP. Starr has a ton of hardware.

5 hours ago, john305 said:

If someone wants to put Brees in their top 10 I won't argue but if some don't I don't think its crazy either.

In no particular order.

Manning

Brady

Montana

Marino

Rodgers

Staubach

Elway

Young

Favre

Unitas

Brees was definitey better than Favre imo.

17 hours ago, biggie. said:

Brees was definitey better than Favre imo.

Depends on what you want. Favre had higher highs, but his lows were crushing. I'd put Favre ahead of Brees because his 3 year run from 95-97 when adjusted for era can match up with anybody elses in history.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...