Tee Higgins and Boyd were exposed without Chase this game...

mdonnelly21

Tee Higgins 3 catches 49 yards, 1 TD. 

Tyler Boyd 3 catches 38 yards, 1 TD. 

These guys are high quality WRs. Higgins is a legit bonafide #2 WR. And Boyd is a legit bonafide #3 WR. And any team would want them for their #1 and #2 WRs. 

But Chase is a Lock Top 10 borderline top 5 WR for a reason. What his playmaking ability does for the playbook, and the defensive attention he takes away from Higgins and Boyd make their ability get open a WHOLE lot easier. 

I feel with the absence of Chase, we seen just how good Higgins and Boyd are, and really the Bengals as a whole. 

More to do with Taylor and the offense than it does those two. The Bengals offense has three basic functions: heave the ball deep (hopefully to Chase), throw it flat (usually to a RB), or sack. Higgins and Boyd are far from the problems. The biggest issues are coaching and the offensive line.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

More to do with Taylor and the offense than it does those two. The Bengals offense has three basic functions: heave the ball deep (hopefully to Chase), throw it flat (usually to a RB), or sack. Higgins and Boyd are far from the problems. The biggest issues are coaching and the offensive line.

Correct.

Bad take, bad thread. 

• Like 2

Joe Woods sucks.

However, his scheme is designed specifically to torment a team like Cincinnati. He draws up no blitzes and let’s the d-line do all of the work. Then he drops 7 guys to defend the pass.

So if you have a bad offensive line and love to throw deep, that’s no bueno for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Joe Woods sucks.

However, his scheme is designed specifically to torment a team like Cincinnati. He draws up no blitzes and let’s the d-line do all of the work. Then he drops 7 guys to defend the pass.

So if you have a bad offensive line and love to throw deep, that’s no bueno for you.

This.  The browns are just an extremely bad matchup on paper for us, and lately it has translated perfectly onto the field.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

This.  The browns are just an extremely bad matchup on paper for us, and lately it has translated perfectly onto the field.

The best comp I can think of is that you guys are the Rams and we’re the 49ers.

I won’t be shocked if you guys win a super bowl in 2-3 years. You’re much better built for “modern football.”

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The best comp I can think of is that you guys are the Rams and we’re the 49ers.

I won’t be shocked if you guys win a super bowl in 2-3 years. You’re much better built for “modern football.”

TBH it's exactly the inverse of how I feel as a Browns fan against Baltimore.

We have a dominant OL/Running game and Baltimore has a good Front 7 built to stop the run, but our passing game is lousy and so is their secondary.

Our defense sucks against the run and they have an elite running game.

JMHO

Man, If the browns can defend the pass with their pash rush, keeping the score low, their offense can bully teams. They did it to the Steelers and the Bengals now. They are a dangerous 3-5 team. If they’re just get to ~5-6, when Watson comes back, I could see them going on a mini playoff run. That oline and running game  are beastly and wear on defenses. I wouldn’t want to play them if Watson/Brissett get hot.  I’d want no part of them regardless. Could be a bad matchup for anybody(maybe not the Bills or Chiefs, a healthy Chargers idk).

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I feel with the absence of Chase, we seen just how good Higgins and Boyd are, and really the Bengals as a whole. 

This is exactly wrong.  Yes, the rest of the team was hopeless but Higgins and Boyd didn't replace Chase in the starting lineup.  Mike Thomas did.  Mike was putrid, dropping a pass an arthritic crocodile could have caught.

The O-Line was non-existent and, even on those rare downs when he wasn't hurried, Burrow was off on many of his throws, including the tipped TD one.  Play calling?  Given Chase's absence, the fact that the Bengals trailed throughout, and the lack of success on the ground, one would expect Tyler Boyd's targets to rise from his average, 5.4.  It actually dropped to 5.0.  Ditto Tee Higgins, from 6.3 to 6.0.  And don't get me started on the "defense".