Week 9: Titans @ Chiefs

TitanLegend

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i continue to be bewildered by the open frustration mike vrabel expresses with these receivers relative to the absolute nothing that this organization actually does about it.

Truthfully I'm surprised by that NWI drop. He rarely drops them. I think Vrabel feels he has guys that will catch the ball when it hits their hands. 

None of us expect them to get open all the time or beat guys deep. But catch the ball when it hits their hands is his expectation. Lol sounds silly and simple but I think that's his thinking. 

With the annoyance of the loss having passed, on the bright side:

Defense is quite clearly legit. Dunno what their deal was vs the Bills, but seems to be the outlier.

Should be getting Treylon Burks back next week.

Took the Chiefs to OT in Arrowhead with a QB who can't play QB. With Tannehill it's a win. Would hopefully mean good things come playoff time.

also, was saying this during the game, but the way we *completely* abandoned the read option after gashing them several times with it was probably the biggest todd downing special of the season. just incredible.

zero looks for henry in the passing game either after doing a lot of that early in the year. inexplicable. 

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

also, was saying this during the game, but the way we *completely* abandoned the read option after gashing them several times with it was probably the biggest todd downing special of the season. just incredible.

zero looks for henry in the passing game either after doing a lot of that early in the year. inexplicable. 

Yes this was my problem we well. Why didn't we go away from it. 

I think they didn't trust Malik to make that read or throw. 

4 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Not that I disagree with the call, but think there’s a real chance Farley is inactive when Hooker and Molden come back.

Sad but true. Man, the 2020 and 2021 draft classes….

On the positive the 2022 class is looking nice as we saw last night. McCreary, NPF, Chig, Haskins, Willis and Stonehouse all played key roles. Just need Burks and Phillips added to the mix.

Edited by TitanSlim

I’ve had 2 hours sleep and halfway through a 10 hour shift at work but I am much more excited for this team after last night’s performance than I was after Buffalo. If we can just get healthy we can definitely contend this season. We went into KC last night to play a fully healthy Chiefs team and we should have won despite missing so many pieces. Despite losing I’m much happier today. 

As important as defense is and as amazing as ours played

ultimately the majority of games come down to which offense can make plays at the right time. And which players make them.

KCs best players ultimately showed up and won the game for them. Mahomes did Mahomes stuff.

we just don’t have the offensive firepower. Not even close. They’re either hurt or in Pennsylvania 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -Hope- said:

I've never seen a team completely abandon a successful strategy for seemingly no reason.

Like, Downing started trying to play prevent offense against the ******* Chiefs with an entire half left to play.

The problem I have with the team offensively is what has been the problem since the start. The inconsistent offensive approach.  We have Chig, we went to him once on a screen. 
We have Woods, we not once gave him like a quick pop pass, WR Screen, or end around. He isn't like an explosive player but he is a player that can do something with the ball in his hands. 
Derrick was running well in the first half and we went away from it. 

The read option was going well when Henry and Willis was on it and we went away from it. 
No QB body run right/left. 
No screen to Henry. 

I think it's short sided to just look at the WR spot as the problem. It is a problem. No denying it.

But the style of offense we play just lends itself for no mistakes can be afforded.

I've said it a million times. I don't know if I've seen a player that defenses get more hype to stop than Henry. When they are able to get him for a 2 yard gain, they are pumped. See the OT. It gives life to a defense. 
Teams aren't hype when they stop Austin Eckler. It's just a good play. 
Our offensive as a whole is a failure waiting to happen. Especially when you are putting Hollister out there, like he is a NFL player. 

I'm not mad at the game. We almost won with a backup QB, a busted LT, No Wrs catching anything on the road. 
It's hard to blame Vrabel and company for thinking this way can win. If you can go into Arrowhead and hold that offense to what you did, while not having a functional offense, it gives a feeling of confidence (even it is false sense of confidence). 

Tanny plays we win. Because he is able to at least make NFL QB plays and decisions. Yes we have a better WR core we win. We have a better OC we win. Have a better O-line we win. Any one of those things happen we win...

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

The problem I have with the team offensively is what has been the problem since the start. The inconsistent offensive approach.  We have Chig, we went to him once on a screen. 
We have Woods, we not once gave him like a quick pop pass, WR Screen, or end around. He isn't like an explosive player but he is a player that can do something with the ball in his hands. 
Derrick was running well in the first half and we went away from it. 

The read option was going well when Henry and Willis was on it and we went away from it. 
No QB body run right/left. 
No screen to Henry. 

I think it's short sided to just look at the WR spot as the problem. It is a problem. No denying it.

But the style of offense we play just lends itself for no mistakes can be afforded.

I've said it a million times. I don't know if I've seen a player that defenses get more hype to stop than Henry. When they are able to get him for a 2 yard gain, they are pumped. See the OT. It gives life to a defense. 
Teams aren't hype when they stop Austin Eckler. It's just a good play. 
Our offensive as a whole is a failure waiting to happen. Especially when you are putting Hollister out there, like he is a NFL player. 

I'm not mad at the game. We almost won with a backup QB, a busted LT, No Wrs catching anything on the road. 
It's hard to blame Vrabel and company for thinking this way can win. If you can go into Arrowhead and hold that offense to what you did, while not having a functional offense, it gives a feeling of confidence (even it is false sense of confidence). 

Tanny plays we win. Because he is able to at least make NFL QB plays and decisions. Yes we have a better WR core we win. We have a better OC we win. Have a better O-line we win. Any one of those things happen we win...

everything you're saying is so right and we can go on and on and on and on poking holes

One thing that baffles me is that, in this day and age, there are a myriad of ways to get guys open and in space. You don't need to be an all-pro to get open. We can design ways to get a shifty guy like Woods open. It's not like he became a terrible WR on his plane ride from LA to Nashville.

KC ran a screen yesterday that saw the OL essentially let the entire DL thru and those guys got out to the edge to start blocking. IDK if it was a big play for them...think we made a nice tackle...but compare that to OUR screens which take 20m to develop just to get the ball into a TEs hands, often surrounded by defensive players

how and why?

I’m still so frustrated by the Brewer holding call. Chiefs straight up tackling Simmons, but on our first, tone-setting run of the second half while playing with the lead, they kill the drive on a flag for a clean block. That and the Hollister ones bother me more than any non-calls (well, maybe Kelce ripping at Kalu’s face). If you’re going to let the Chiefs get away with murder, you can’t hit our already terrible offense with ticky tack calls.

• Like 1

I mean, yeah, I'm not mad at the result either.  Malik looked good for an entire half, which speaks well to his development in the future.  He even made some great throws in the second half that better receivers (or TEs that weren't horrifically interfered with) would have caught.  He looked waaaaaay better than I expected him to.

And our defense is great.  Even without Hooker, Molden, and Landry, we are right there at the absolute top of the league.

But the big Achilles heel of the team is the OC.  We've kinda been giving Downing a break lately because we were on a winning streak.  Normally, when everything goes his way, and we can run the ball effectively, he does a fine job.  But if anything happens to get him out of his comfort zone, he completely ****s the bed.

This game, it didn't even happen.  He just inexplicably went away from a succeeding strategy for almost no reason and lost because of it.  Downing needs to go for this team to be able to take the next step.