Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

8 hours ago, Sandy said:

I'm on the Flowers train too. He's up to #2 for me after JSN. They're the only two I like for the first right now. 

I like a lot of the WRs this year. Great year to steal some talent in rounds 4 and 5. Wicks, BFW, Haselwood might all be available in that range.

Sandy, you are all in, huh?  That was me with EQ.  I do agree, there will be some useful, "Packers" WRs available later in the draft.  The ones that seem to be graded highest are all on the smaller side.  JSN, Flowers, Addison, Downs, Mims, all seem like players that the Patriots would love.  

I will add my hot take on the WRs.  I really lean into the 6'1 and/or 200 pounds thing because I also happen to agree with it.  I don't like any of these guys that don't meet the requirements, with the lone exception of JSN.  The only reason I like JSN is because I think he is a route running technician.  I feel like what he does to get open in college still works in the NFL, and he will be a first down machine for 5 years and you let someone else pay him.  He is an 8-12 yard slant waiting to happen.  But the rest of them, you can have.  I don't like these gimmicky re-work your offense to try to get them into space players like Tavon Austin and Tarik Cohen.  Give me a WR corps of Watson, Lazard, EQ, MVS, and throw in DGB for good measure, and I will be happy as a pig in ****.  

• Like 1

Think I'm locked in with 19 1st round grades this year:

1. Will Anderson
2. Anthony Richardson
3. Bryce Young
4. Tyree Wilson
5. Christian Gonzalez
6. Jalen Carter
7. Lukas Van Ness
8. Paris Johnson Jr
9. Broderick Jones
10. CJ Stoud
11. Nolan Smith
12. Devon Witherspoon
13. Peter Skoronski
14. Zay Flowers
15. Myles Murphy
16. Bijan Robinson
17. Joey Porter Jr.
18. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
19. Darnell Wright

• Like 1

15) Green Bay Packers - EDGE Myles Murphy (Clemson)

6'4" 268 lbs. running a 4.52 40-yard dash is outrageous, but Myles Murphy is that guy. There has been talk about a 'Big 4' at EDGE with Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson, Lukas Van Ness, and Nolan Smith being those guys, but don't be surprised if Murphy is the best one when all is said and done. Rashan Gary really started to come into his own last year, but Preston Smith is 30 years old and definitely on the down slope. Murphy makes sense to come in and groom while working in rotationally.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3462555/steven-cheahs-2023-nfl-mock-draft-4.0

• Like 1

Gute spent his past three 1st rounders on Georgia defenders.  What are the odds that Gute could get to the third day without having picked any Georgia guys?  

Any 1st round candidates?  Guessing Smith is the only Georgia candidate in the mix for a pick in the teens?  Is he too small for Gute?  

2nd round, might any of Ringo/Washington/Forbes be guys Gute will if any of them are still available when his round 2 opportunities come up? 

3rd round, maybe Christopher Smith?  

Might be tough for Gute to go two days without drafting a Bulldog.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Absolutely not.  Many, MANY of us were pining for Olave.  Some were pining for Wison.  I know that @Packerraymond was defending Drake London as a good first round WR for us.  There was a lot of talk about it.  Tons.

Watson wasn't really in the conversation because he did not play against big time competition.  His route running wasn't very good or polished and he had the dropsies.  What we knew about him was that he was large and extremely fast.  But at best, we all knew that he was a project at WR, not an immediate contributor like the guys that were going to go higher.

Prior to 'Vante leaving, yes, there was some bias against WR in the first.  But last year, all bets were off with those two first round picks and the huge holes in the WR room.

I feel that it is the same way this year.

Fair enough. I'm just saying many people are against wr round one. I loved Watson but know nothing. Simms had him ranked 2 last year and the tape spoke for itself. He was just different. 

14 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Fair enough. I'm just saying many people are against wr round one. I loved Watson but know nothing. Simms had him ranked 2 last year and the tape spoke for itself. He was just different. 

Prior to last year, people were against WR in round one.  And why not?  We have a great track record in round two.  But, we also had a solid WR room and a HOF QB who we thought could make guys better.  Now?  Different story.  Now it is about getting Love weaponz.  

Speaking for myself only....the only reason I'm high on JSN at pick #15 is because of how he fits with our current WR's and Love.  Dude does not have that prototypical size/speed that you really want higher in the first round.  But what he has works.  

Watson is the prototypical boom or bust WR, to me.  Developmental in nature.  His speed was going to get him looks right away, but he did and still needs to, learn how to run routes and finish the catch.

He took a big jump up in competition once he hit the NFL.  And he thrived.  Now he has to become a real pro and keep working on his game.

I thought his upside was as high, if not higher, than any WR last years' draft.  But his "ready now" factor just wasn't there, when compared to guys like Olave, London and Wilson, to name a few.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Sandy, you are all in, huh?  That was me with EQ.  I do agree, there will be some useful, "Packers" WRs available later in the draft.  The ones that seem to be graded highest are all on the smaller side.  JSN, Flowers, Addison, Downs, Mims, all seem like players that the Patriots would love.  

I will add my hot take on the WRs.  I really lean into the 6'1 and/or 200 pounds thing because I also happen to agree with it.  I don't like any of these guys that don't meet the requirements, with the lone exception of JSN.  The only reason I like JSN is because I think he is a route running technician.  I feel like what he does to get open in college still works in the NFL, and he will be a first down machine for 5 years and you let someone else pay him.  He is an 8-12 yard slant waiting to happen.  But the rest of them, you can have.  I don't like these gimmicky re-work your offense to try to get them into space players like Tavon Austin and Tarik Cohen.  Give me a WR corps of Watson, Lazard, EQ, MVS, and throw in DGB for good measure, and I will be happy as a pig in ****.  

All in on Haselwood. Players of his size shouldn't be able to move like that. His ras is up to a decent Gute-approved level now after his pro day too.

I'm normally inclined to agree on little receivers - I tend not to look at them and may have actually scoffed at Jordan Addison's tape. Of course, there are exceptions, and for me Flowers is not someone you need to try to get out into space. He can create his own all day. The AB comparisons are legit.

And I like Hyatt still because at least he has enough length for me for a deep threat, but I don't know how much we need his skills with Watson already in play. 

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Prior to last year, people were against WR in round one.  And why not?  We have a great track record in round two.  But, we also had a solid WR room and a HOF QB who we thought could make guys better.  Now?  Different story.  Now it is about getting Love weaponz.  

Speaking for myself only....the only reason I'm high on JSN at pick #15 is because of how he fits with our current WR's and Love.  Dude does not have that prototypical size/speed that you really want higher in the first round.  But what he has works.  

Watson is the prototypical boom or bust WR, to me.  Developmental in nature.  His speed was going to get him looks right away, but he did and still needs to, learn how to run routes and finish the catch.

He took a big jump up in competition once he hit the NFL.  And he thrived.  Now he has to become a real pro and keep working on his game.

I thought his upside was as high, if not higher, than any WR last years' draft.  But his "ready now" factor just wasn't there, when compared to guys like Olave, London and Wilson, to name a few.

I think we all seem to want JSN this year.  

I'm at the point in the draft runup that I'm trying to look at the guys that the Packers might take in the first that nobody is linking to them.  Like I think the only reason they wouldn't consider Bryan Bresee at 15 is because of the medical.  But the dude was fantastic at Clemson at a position that's shallow in the draft, and the Packers could use.

He's twitchy, long, incredibly agile laterally, has a great first step, powerful, and his motor runs hot.  Lot of room to expand on that frame, if you want.

17 minutes ago, Sandy said:

All in on Haselwood. Players of his size shouldn't be able to move like that. His ras is up to a decent Gute-approved level now after his pro day too.

I'm normally inclined to agree on little receivers - I tend not to look at them and may have actually scoffed at Jordan Addison's tape. Of course, there are exceptions, and for me Flowers is not someone you need to try to get out into space. He can create his own all day. The AB comparisons are legit.

And I like Hyatt still because at least he has enough length for me for a deep threat, but I don't know how much we need his skills with Watson already in play. 

To me, Hyatt is Desean Jackson, if he hits.  And probably the guy from the Vikings, whose name is escaping me right now, if he doesn't.  Troy Williamson?

Once again, I really like Haselwood too.  I just want to know what the draft industrial complex guys are seeing that I am not.  Highlights don't tell the whole story, I get it.  But that OU_Texas game that I linked dispels speed criticism, blocking criticism, route running criticism, hands criticism.  Maybe I need to see him slacking in Arkansas vs Arkansas Pine Bluff or something.  I am getting Doubs feelings from last year, where I was a lot higher on a guy than the consensus.  

Now to back off of tooting my own horn, I didn't like Olave last year, and he played very, very well as a rookie.  I am not some WR oracle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm at the point in the draft runup that I'm trying to look at the guys that the Packers might take in the first that nobody is linking to them.

Like Quay Walker at this time last year?

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Now to back off of tooting my own horn, I didn't like Olave last year, and he played very, very well as a rookie.  I am not some WR oracle.

I remember I literally LOL'd when MIN drafted Jefferson because I thought they reached.

• Like 1