Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

JSN is a great player, just not a speedster. Going to be one of those QB best friend types. Think Jarvis Landry type, but JSN is a bit more athletic. 

Hyatt's comp is easy, he's Will Fuller all day long. 

Or John Ross

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Wasn’t Desean Jackson was hurt quite often during his career?

Only played in 16 games 3 times in his career, only played less than 14 games 5 times, and three of those were age 33, 34 and 36.  Not a whole lot different than Randall Cobb.  If that is a no go for you, cool.

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

JSN is a great player, just not a speedster. Going to be one of those QB best friend types. Think Jarvis Landry type, but JSN is a bit more athletic. J

Hyatt's comp is easy, he's Will Fuller all day long. 

Personally, I like the Amon Ra comp. Same type of player who is going to eat up the MOF. JSN probably has an even higher ceiling though to go with the same natural feel for the game Amon Ra has. 

17 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Correct! I had Devonte Wyatt on the brain or something. 

Guy might be slight of frame but if he runs sub-4.3, I want him. Let defenses pick their poison. 

Also, I just don't see Doubs in the slot. I see him more of a Davante Adams type of guy. He's got freaky hops and he's quick. 

Give me Watson, Doubs and Hyatt and I'll take my chances with Love under center. 

When is the last time GB drafted a kid with great speed to go with small size?

I know we've bucked some trends lately, but still......

A few years ago...I wanted Reagor (and Jefferson), but Reagor was the bigger highlight reel guy in college.  And he failed.  Seems like every year small guys with speed get overdrafted and fail.  They pop for a few catches or long runs on occasion but overall...that track record is not good.

We have our speed guy, maybe even two of them with Doubs.  What we need is a guy with decent size, who can run routes and win quickly underneath.  He's gotta be a plus blocker.  That OSU kid with 3 names is the kid who fits the bill right away.  Outside of him, I'm not sure who that is in the draft.

So in the draft, I think it is more likely that GB finds another large WR to be a boundary type player while they train Watson for the slot where he's more difficult to double.   

In my perfect world, we are trading Rodgers, then using our two firsts to find an EDGE and then the OSU kid at WR.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Personally, I like the Amon Ra comp. Same type of player who is going to eat up the MOF. JSN probably has an even higher ceiling though to go with the same natural feel for the game Amon Ra has. 

How the hell is Equanimeous like 6'5 and running a 4.4 while Amon-Ra is 5'11 and running a 4.6?  It don't make no sense.

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

A few years ago...I wanted Reagor (and Jefferson), but Reagor was the bigger highlight reel guy in college.  And he failed.  Seems like every year small guys with speed get overdrafted and fail.  They pop for a few catches or long runs on occasion but overall...that track record is not good.

We have our speed guy, maybe even two of them with Doubs.  What we need is a guy with decent size, who can run routes and win quickly underneath.  He's gotta be a plus blocker.  That OSU kid with 3 names is the kid who fits the bill right away.  Outside of him, I'm not sure who that is in the draft.

So in the draft, I think it is more likely that GB finds another large WR to be a boundary type player while they train Watson for the slot where he's more difficult to double.   

In my perfect world, we are trading Rodgers, then using our two firsts to find an EDGE and then the OSU kid at WR.

I think the kid from OSU is going to be a good player. I question his decision to bail on his teammates in the playoffs last year. BTW, on what planet is JSN a plus blocker? 

I'm aware of Hyatt's limitations based on his size. You can scheme around those, and you can't teach 4.29 speed. 

11 hours ago, Old Guy said:

No clue on that one! I just want Jalin Wyatt if he's a 4.29 guy. Put him in the slot with Watson and Doubs outside and roll with Love. Have Jones or Dillon in the backfield and let teams pick their poison. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Wyatt, because I like new shiny things that move fast.

But with our slot?  Wasn't that primarily the Lazard spot?  I seem to recall motioning him inside, a lot, and he'd either run routes, chip, or run block there.

Wyatt is too small to fill that role.  So we would need to change our offense somewhat for him to work.

I find it more likely that Watson gets more snaps at slot, because he can block and he has size.  I could even see Doubs getting some work in there.

When the combine rolls around, I'll be interested in the broad jump and the 3 cone with those WR's.    I think that Adams was a 6.5 RAS guy.  But, he had great quickness to get open.  So if the top end 40 speed isn't there, a drafted WR better have that elite agility and explosion in small spaces.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

JSN is currently ranked in the mid 20s across the lists that I just scanned.  If we took him at 15, I don't think that is jumping the board too much.

*I am not advocating for any specific player at this point*

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think the kid from OSU is going to be a good player. I question his decision to bail on his teammates in the playoffs last year. BTW, on what planet is JSN a plus blocker? 

I'm aware of Hyatt's limitations based on his size. You can scheme around those, and you can't teach 4.29 speed. 

I don't see him as a plus blocker.  I want him to win quickly on routes.  If we want to block, we can motion Doubs or Watson to that spot.  JSN can play inside or outside, he isn't limited due to size.

Every year there are guys that run fast and are small.  We already have fast and it ain't small.  Now I'd like a route runner.

Cool if you want otherwise.  I always do as well.  And we never draft those guys.  

Just like we don't draft 24 year olds.  And we don't draft non premiums in the first round, so there is a chance.  I just don't find it likely.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

JSN is currently ranked in the mid 20s across the lists that I just scanned.  If we took him at 15, I don't think that is jumping the board too much.

*I am not advocating for any specific player at this point*

I'm not advocating either.  I'd be less than thrilled with him at 15, because I want the total package at 15.  Size, speed, agility, route running....etc.  And he won't have all of that.  But, we shall see.  

I do think it would be very ironic, and the press would have a field day, if we moved on from Rodgers then took a WR in round one!

I just try to use logic....logic tells me that while I like the OSU kid with 3 names, we won't like him in the first.  And he should go there.  So then we move to rounds 2-4.  And since I think we covet size, I'll be looking for Wr's that are big with some elite trait to be boundary WR's, while Watson and maybe Doubs get trained more for the slot.

Its all personal preference and for me its JSN over Hyatt. Really the only other WR at the top I like is Johnston. He has the size and the speed (kind of like my guy Iosivas). Hyatt does have that Desean Jackson feel to him which is good and bad. Jackson had huge games but seemed to disappear in many others. His consistency always bothered me. In the end run I do not want any WR at 15, I could be talked into Johnston but that may be about the only one.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not advocating either.  I'd be less than thrilled with him at 15, because I want the total package at 15.  Size, speed, agility, route running....etc.  And he won't have all of that.  But, we shall see.  

I do think it would be very ironic, and the press would have a field day, if we moved on from Rodgers then took a WR in round one!

I just try to use logic....logic tells me that while I like the OSU kid with 3 names, we won't like him in the first.  And he should go there.  So then we move to rounds 2-4.  And since I think we covet size, I'll be looking for Wr's that are big with some elite trait to be boundary WR's, while Watson and maybe Doubs get trained more for the slot.

I just added that so someone doesn't twist it and go on the stupid internet attack that I want a WR at 15.  I am completely non-committal at this point, I don't know who I want in the draft.  I am just looking at the players that trends say the Packers may like, and seeing how that matches up with what I personally like.  Really trying to play catch-up with the college football guys, as the last few years, I have been doing a lot of baseball stuff on Saturdays and paying less attention to college sports in general.  

I am also one of the few that are comfortable with Rodgers or Love.  And I really don't think that either QB should affect how we draft.  The team doesn't need a slot WR more with Rodgers or a TE more with Love, we need both.  Ya know?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just added that so someone doesn't twist it and go on the stupid internet attack that I want a WR at 15.  I am completely non-committal at this point, I don't know who I want in the draft.  I am just looking at the players that trends say the Packers may like, and seeing how that matches up with what I personally like.  Really trying to play catch-up with the college football guys, as the last few years, I have been doing a lot of baseball stuff on Saturdays and paying less attention to college sports in general.  

I am also one of the few that are comfortable with Rodgers or Love.  And I really don't think that either QB should affect how we draft.  The team doesn't need a slot WR more with Rodgers or a TE more with Love, we need both.  Ya know?

The board would have to be pretty wrecked for me to pound the table for one of these WR's in round one.  

I want an EDGE.  Or a DL.  Or an OT.  Or a S.  Kind of in that order.  And the safety I want is a field general center fielder, not a box type safety.  I don't know enough about the draft to know if there is one of those worthy of a FRP.

Now...if we happen to get 2 FRP's??  That opens up possibilities to me.  I wouldn't like it, but I could live with even a TE with a later FRP.

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

The board would have to be pretty wrecked for me to pound the table for one of these WR's in round one.  

I want an EDGE.  Or a DL.  Or an OT.  Or a S.  Kind of in that order.  And the safety I want is a field general center fielder, not a box type safety.  I don't know enough about the draft to know if there is one of those worthy of a FRP.

Now...if we happen to get 2 FRP's??  That opens up possibilities to me.  I wouldn't like it, but I could live with even a TE with a later FRP.

So far, in my very limited knowledge of prospects, I have two draft crushes, and a few that wouldn't immediately make me mad.  If I am being really honest, I liked Romeo Doubs more than any of the WRs in this draft that I have seen so far.  But, I am no expert.  I also really liked EQ, and he turned out mediocre at best. 

I really like Keion White the edge from Georgia Tech and Darnell Washington the TE from Georgia.  I also like Will Anderson Jr, but if we get him, the Bears really, really screwed up.  

• Like 1