Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

There are no rules guys, Jaire was too short, Amari was too short, We don't value ILB's in round 1, our first round picks are 22 or younger. All these have been "broken" in the Gute era.

There is a statistical likelihood that they will be followed, but they aren't rules.

If you scout the draft for fun, look at all the draftable guys at a position, don't just sort by size. I wish I had spent more time on Quay and Devonte last season. Not going to make the same mistake again.

Zay Flowers, Josh Downs and Tank Dell are exactly the type of skillset our offense is missing. McVay and Shanahan have had smaller players, the best WR all these guys had as baby coaches in Washington was Santana Moss. They made Taylor Gabriel into a stud in ATL.

Statistically unlikely one of these guys gets drafted by us, but not impossible. Give them a watch, they're all fun. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There are no rules guys, Jaire was too short, Amari was too short, We don't value ILB's in round 1, our first round picks are 22 or younger. All these have been "broken" in the Gute era.

There is a statistical likelihood that they will be followed, but they aren't rules.

If you scout the draft for fun, look at all the draftable guys at a position, don't just sort by size. I wish I had spent more time on Quay and Devonte last season. Not going to make the same mistake again.

Zay Flowers, Josh Downs and Tank Dell are exactly the type of skillset our offense is missing. McVay and Shanahan have had smaller players, the best WR all these guys had as baby coaches in Washington was Santana Moss. They made Taylor Gabriel into a stud in ATL.

Statistically unlikely one of these guys gets drafted by us, but not impossible. Give them a watch, they're all fun. 

I would call them trends, not rules. 

16 hours ago, craig said:

Just hypothetically speaking, what if MLF's scheme and philosophy is hypothetically kinda crummy? 

We might be locked in for a lot of drafts to drafting guys for an unsuccessful scheme.  

I don't know how it can be "kinda crummy".  It's a run first system, where the pass looks feed off of the run looks.  Build the o-oline, get a good back or two and then try to get by with larger WR's that can also block.

And it had what, 3 13 win seasons in a row?

If you look at our WR's that we draft, we tend to like bigger guys with higher end RAS scores.  That should work in most any offense.

What I think you can look at is the tight end position.  We just haven't drafted well there, or we aren't using Deguara enough in the passing game.

But I've got almost zero issues with our other offensive positions that we draft.  Course, I would had loved Creed over Myers at center, but maybe Josh can turn his play around this year.  We shall see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I would call them trends, not rules. 

Correct.  

I have already said that Randall Cobb does not fit the pattern.  Greg Jennings and JSN are very similar in size, and do not fit the pattern either.  BUT the vast majority of WRs that the Packers have taken in the last 30 or so years fit that trend.  There was push back on this last year too.  And who did we draft?  6'4 208 lb Christian Watson, 6'2 204 lb Romeo Doubs, and 6'1 191 lb Samouri Toure.  Watson and Doubs, along with George Pickens and Alec Pierce, I specifically pointed out as guys that will be on the Packers' radar.  

5c05e96f-0304-4cb8-bb4b-0c14d9a84274_tex

Is this what it is like to be @Outpost31?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Correct.  

I have already said that Randall Cobb does not fit the pattern.  Greg Jennings and JSN are very similar in size, and do not fit the pattern either.  BUT the vast majority of WRs that the Packers have taken in the last 30 or so years fit that trend.  There was push back on this last year too.  And who did we draft?  6'4 208 lb Christian Watson, 6'2 204 lb Romeo Doubs, and 6'1 191 lb Samouri Toure.  Watson and Doubs, along with George Pickens and Alec Pierce, I specifically pointed out as guys that will be on the Packers' radar.  

5c05e96f-0304-4cb8-bb4b-0c14d9a84274_tex

Is this what it is like to be @Outpost31?

JSN is the OSU kid, right?

If I'm looking to pair someone with Doubs and Watson, despite his size not being elite, he's the guy I'm looking at.  Even in round one.

Someone who can win with route running and win kindda fast.  

I don't need him getting downfield fast, I need him hitting the shorter stuff with some YAC.  

Course, that could be Doubs, too, but I like how JSN can work with Watson.  Just enough size and more than enough skill...and I think he can produce right away.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

JSN is the OSU kid, right?

If I'm looking to pair someone with Doubs and Watson, despite his size not being elite, he's the guy I'm looking at.  Even in round one.

Someone who can win with route running and win kindda fast.  

I don't need him getting downfield fast, I need him hitting the shorter stuff with some YAC.  

Course, that could be Doubs, too, but I like how JSN can work with Watson.  Just enough size and more than enough skill...and I think he can produce right away.

Yes.  I thought that I was really going to hate him because he was small.  BUT... He was bigger than I thought.  He is just silky smooth.  If you have knock him, he doesn't have the absolute top end speed to run away from all DBs. Very much reminds me of Greg Jennings, similar size and game speed, and wins with great routes.  

I don't know a player to compare Doubs to, he looks kind of unorthodox.  I think he can turn into a very productive third WR, who will absolutely go off on a couple of teams every year, disappear for a few games, and generally get 40-50 yards per game.  Think a Tyler Boyd for the Bengals as far as impact.  I also think he could play inside or outside, depending on the other personnel.  Whereas, I really prefer Watson to be primarily an outside WR that can block.  

I LOVE JSN and Jaylin Hyatt, for any team.  

For those who haven't watched Smith-Njigba, he's probably far and away the best "wide receiver" in this draft in terms of his overall game. People forget about him because he missed most of last season, but in 2021 he was the best WR on a team that included Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave - two players who just had standout rookie seasons. 

The only knock on JSN is his top-end speed. He's also probably not going to "win" the combine in shorts, which unfortunately, likely means he won't be on Gute's radar. 

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yes.  I thought that I was really going to hate him because he was small.  BUT... He was bigger than I thought.  He is just silky smooth.  If you have knock him, he doesn't have the absolute top end speed to run away from all DBs. Very much reminds me of Greg Jennings, similar size and game speed, and wins with great routes.  

I don't know a player to compare Doubs to, he looks kind of unorthodox.  I think he can turn into a very productive third WR, who will absolutely go off on a couple of teams every year, disappear for a few games, and generally get 40-50 yards per game.  Think a Tyler Boyd for the Bengals as far as impact.  I also think he could play inside or outside, depending on the other personnel.  Whereas, I really prefer Watson to be primarily an outside WR that can block.  

I LOVE JSN and Jaylin Hyatt, for any team.  

Whenever I've tried to watch Hyatt stuff....I tend to like the other WR for them just as good if not better.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Whenever I've tried to watch Hyatt stuff....I tend to like the other WR for them just as good if not better.

Yeah, Tillman is petty good as well. I think if Hyatt runs as advertised, he might last til early round 2. Doubt he gets out of top 40 picks with 4.29 speed though. 

47 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Speaking of guys who don't fit guidelines, some team in the top 64 is going to get a real problem in the interior subpackage by not worrying about height/weight and drafting Calijah Kancey.

Smaller version of another Pitt guy whose doing pretty well for the Rams. I'm not suggesting he is that kind of player but give me as many guys as I can get who can rush the passer. 

34 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

For those who haven't watched Smith-Njigba, he's probably far and away the best "wide receiver" in this draft in terms of his overall game. People forget about him because he missed most of last season, but in 2021 he was the best WR on a team that included Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave - two players who just had standout rookie seasons. 

The only knock on JSN is his top-end speed. He's also probably not going to "win" the combine in shorts, which unfortunately, likely means he won't be on Gute's radar. 

I'd be very excited if we landed him to pair with Watson and Doubs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'd be very excited if we landed him to pair with Watson and Doubs.

He'd fit in well. We need a slot guy anyways which is where he thrives. Probably too rich for 15 though and likely won't be there at 45. You'd have to make a move one way or another. 

• Like 1