Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I know you don't like him, and I'm not fighting you on that.

But stop looking at his feet and his technique at tackle.  Look at him at RG.  

I think he's a 10 year starter there, from day one, and he'll be one of the top 1/3 guards in the league, easily.

Now, is that worth a first round pick in the top 20 or so?  Maybe.  I'd rather swing for a premium position with more potential upside and risk the downside.  But Skrow is a very, very safe guard prospect.

He'll probably do fine at guard, and I'm probably being too harsh on him because he's so over hyped, but I just don't think he's worth a 1st round pick.  I am curious to see how he measures and performs at the Combine and/or pro day, but I won't be surprised at all if he doesn't go in the 1st round. 

Like I said in another thread, maybe he'll end up being an awesome player and I'll have to go back and see where I went wrong, which is fine because I'm not rooting against him.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 2:38 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Well, I am looking at a few more WRs before I go to sleep.  

-Andrei Iosivas Princeton 6'3 200.  Well, I have found Gute and my favorite WR.  TDN compares him to Christian Watson.  I am not as enamored with him as I was with Watson, but he may be more of an MVS type.  He will have to learn to block, but he is big and fast.  MVS was a pretty good blocker by the time he left here, no reason to think the same can't happen with Iosivas.

Welcome to the wagon my friend. He was my first "crush" of this cycle and I brought him up in here several pages back. I am hoping this one can come true for GB. And I believe he actually weighed in at 211 at the senior bowl. If he maintains his speed at that weight he will be a steal.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:12 PM, vegas492 said:

Hindsight being what it is, Franks was a wasted first round pick.  So too would Washington.  I wouldn't hate him in the second, but I wouldn't love it either.

For Skrow on the OL?  Short arms, best suited for guard.  He's Bulaga but a tick shorter.  I think he's a plug and play guard, either side, but maybe there's some tackle there.  And he's safe.  About as safe as you can get for an OL.

First, I remeber being super excited we got Bubba way back during that draft. Not quite the career that was expected thoug.

Second, if your plan is plug and play guard for Skrow I am not taking that at 15. you can likely get the same thing out of Cody Mauch at 45 or even later. Plus Mauch can play center in a pinch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

First, I remeber being super excited we got Bubba way back during that draft. Not quite the career that was expected thoug.

Second, if your plan is plug and play guard for Skrow I am not taking that at 15. you can likely get the same thing out of Cody Mauch at 45 or even later. Plus Mauch can play center in a pinch.

I was excited about Bubba as well, but man, was he ever slow.

I do not want Skrow at #15, just stating that he's very safe.  I'd prefer to take a premium there with more upside and more risk.

• Like 1

What is everyone's opinion of the Packers need for a RB?

I started watching RBs earlier, and there were some good ones out there.  I did think we may look at one, but with Jones back through 24, we probably don't need one this year.  Dillon is a FA next offseason, but it isn't like the learning curve is ridiculously steep that a rookie couldn't come in and split with Jones.  And I just find myself thinking about having two second round RBs and a RB that is paid, and it doesn't sit well.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I started watching RBs earlier, and there were some good ones out there.  I did think we may look at one, but with Jones back through 24, we probably don't need one this year.  Dillon is a FA next offseason, but it isn't like the learning curve is ridiculously steep that a rookie couldn't come in and split with Jones.  And I just find myself thinking about having two second round RBs and a RB that is paid, and it doesn't sit well.  

I'm right there with you.  We should draft one, but in the later rounds.

To me, we've really done interesting things with our RB situation.  I think we may have overdrafted Dillon.  But still he's productive, but you really can't pay him a second deal while you are paying Jones, right?  

And we keep kicking the can down the road on Jones, because Dillon is keeping him fresh and he's still elite.

It's just kindda odd.  But I'm getting ready to see Dillon playing for someone else after this year.

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't think it is of real importance. if a guy is there later in the draft take him. A guy like Tyjae Spears could come in as RB3. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade at the third RB spot but I wouldn't reach by any means. Spears, Deuce Vaghan (I know he is tiny), or Sean Tucker would be good adds later. I also have to give my NDSU guy a bump, Hunter Luepke is a do it all type of guy. I actually see him as more a Deguara replacement than a RB though. The guy can run great routes and has excellent hands just lacks the height of most H-back/TE's.

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

RB3 isn’t just a luxury, it’s a guy that very well could get some snaps and might start significant games. Hope to get a mid round guy that hopefully has some ST value but with real potential to develop into a future starter. 

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

RB3 isn’t just a luxury, it’s a guy that very well could get some snaps and might start significant games. Hope to get a mid round guy that hopefully has some ST value but with real potential to develop into a future starter. 

2022 GB RB3 played 33 snaps

2021 GB RB3 played 63 snaps

2020 GB RB3 played 97 snaps (Ervin played 142 as a gadget spot as RB on end around/jet sweep)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

2022 GB RB3 played 33 snaps

2021 GB RB3 played 63 snaps

2020 GB RB3 played 97 snaps (Ervin played 142 as a gadget spot as RB on end around/jet sweep)

Sure but we have been extremely fortunate. I hope that would continue but it is worth a mid round pick especially because the two guys we have now might not be here much longer based on money. Getting a guy as insurance and as a possible starter when we let go of 33 and/or 28 is good use of those picks. If you hit, hell yeah! If not, try again next year.