Gameday Thread: Week 11: Raiders @ Broncos 2:05 MST

BroncoSojia

12 hours ago, paul-mac said:

We outplayed the Raiders tonight but boneheaded coaching screwed us

Your #1 defense gave up a 300 yard passer, 100 yard RB, 140 yard WR. I wouldn't say you outplayed the Raiders. Offense scored 16 on the leagues worst defense as well.  

When Hackett is carried out, you'll still be stuck with a washed up QB who IMO had the biggest error of the day for a 10 year veteran.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This won’t be well received. 

But if I’m the Walmarts, I fire Hackett tomorrow and hire Mike Shanahan as interim HC. Bring an adult in the room, someone to steady the ship, instant buy-in from everyone and Klint and Mike can right the offense. The other option to bring that adult in would be Peyton but I know that’s not happening.

Mike finishes the year out and then George and the Walmarts bring in the next guy. 

This is just a wildly unrealistic idea lol. What purpose would this even serve other than nostalgia? Mike hasn't been with or around the team or the game in decades. Dom Capers will be the interim coach if goofy gets fires.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

What about Frank Reich? I don't want Kubes back here. His play calling in 2016 was terrible. 

He was very limited with Siemian. And plus he would be a CEO Coach, Klint would be the play caller. 

And no to Reich, that was bad bad bad in Indy. Plus he will hold out for a full time gig next year. The idea of Gary (or Mike) is that they would know it’s just a 7 week gig to help steady the ship. 

2 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

What about Frank Reich? I don't want Kubes back here. His play calling in 2016 was terrible. 

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

He was very limited with Siemian. And plus he would be a CEO Coach, Klint would be the play caller. 

And no to Reich, that was bad bad bad in Indy. Plus he will hold out for a full time gig next year. The idea of Gary (or Mike) is that they would know it’s just a 7 week gig to help steady the ship. 

Reich can fix QB’s.   But as a HC in IND he was a complete disaster.   And that includes bad play calling, lack of in game adjustments & awful game management.   A hard pass in all respects.    

He’d make an outstanding QBC.   Given Pederson actually called the plays in PHI, I’m not even sure he’d be a good OC.   Classic example of promoting a guy beyond his skill set.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

A loss against a terrible Panthers team and I think Hackett would be toast

Not sure a W proves anything though.  

I get that very little on field changes with a firing.   But the culture needs to change.   

Hackett brings a loser mentality to the game.   Witness his take on the game yesterday - he is going to re-evaluate the play-calling responsibilities this week.  

WTF?   The play calling was the best it’s been this year - MG3 fumble, Wilson missing Dulcich on the seam & leaving the pocket early 3-4x with no pressure / Sutton & Hamler (think it was a TD) drops / Sutton brain dead crack back penalty on Dulcich 20+ yard gain cost them at LEAST 10, if not 14 pts.  The play-calling wasn’t the problem yesterday.   But hey let’s re-evaluate it.  THAT is his take home message.   God.   

You fire Hackett now you send a message you care enough to give the team the best shot to win now.   Having him make ANY more decisions sends a terrible message.    SMH. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Witness his take on the game yesterday - he is going to re-evaluate the play-calling responsibilities this week.  

WTF?   The play calling was the best it’s been this year - MG3 fumble, Wilson missing Dulcich on the seam & leaving the pocket early 3-4x with no pressure / Sutton & Hamler (think it was a TD) drops / Sutton brain dead crack back penalty on Dulcich 20+ yard gain cost them at LEAST 10, if not 14 pts.  The play-calling wasn’t the problem yesterday.   But hey let’s re-evaluate it.  THAT is his take home message.   God.   

I disagree. Kubiak led this team to 16 points, just like Hackett has plenty of times. Besides the first drive of the game, this game looked mostly similar to all our other games production wise. Take into context that this was against the Raiders (1st game vs them was our best game of the year offensively). There were some things I liked that we did (more under center) but by no means was he a clear upgrade over what we've been doing. Especially given the lack of adjustments as the game went on. 

I'm not saying I would stop him from calling plays next game, but to chastise Hackett for saying they're going to assess the effectiveness I disagree with. Regardless though, who cares... We're debating being the worst offense vs the 30th worst offense in the league. 

• Like 1

I just don’t think they will fire Hackett before the end of the season absent a scandal. 

Mac, Vance and Vic all made it to their second seasons, and Vic his third. Mac was fired after game 12, season 2, if I recall, and that was due to the combo of McSpyGate, the totally toxic culture that infested Dove Valley and a fanbase more irate that I’ve ever seen.

Vance got a second season even though it was clear during year 1 he was in over his head (though I did hear Ellis was worried about the optics of firing the team’s first AA coach after 1 season).

Hackett is most similar to Vance - he is a genuinely likable guy, scandal free, just clearly not HC material. I also don’t think George and the Walmarts will see any value in firing him before Black Monday 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I just don’t think they will fire Hackett before the end of the season absent a scandal. 

Mac, Vance and Vic all made it to their second seasons, and Vic his third. Mac was fired after game 12, season 2, if I recall, and that was due to the combo of McSpyGate, the totally toxic culture that infested Dove Valley and a fanbase more irate that I’ve ever seen.

Vance got a second season even though it was clear during year 1 he was in over his head (though I did hear Ellis was worried about the optics of firing the team’s first AA coach after 1 season).

Hackett is most similar to Vance - he is a genuinely likable guy, scandal free, just clearly not HC material. I also don’t think George and the Walmarts will see any value in firing him before Black Monday 

If we get beat by Carolina in an embarassing way, I could see him out before end of season. Otherwise, he's a lame duck and he'll be fired at the end of the year. The team simply can't afford to keep him around. The offense is anemic, fans are apathetic, it will start to show at the stadium. Already the laughingstock of the league. The Walmarts didn't buy the team to be laughed at. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

If we get beat by Carolina in an embarassing way, I could see him out before end of season. Otherwise, he's a lame duck and he'll be fired at the end of the year. The team simply can't afford to keep him around. The offense is anemic, fans are apathetic, it will start to show at the stadium. Already the laughingstock of the league. The Walmarts didn't buy the team to be laughed at. 

And that’s why he’s a dead man walking without an unprecedented turn around in the final seven weeks. 

The injuries - most injured team in the league as Klis (and team PR, sorry to be redundant) keep reminding us at every chance - and the fact that Russ just flat out sucks and is only in it for himself, his brand and his image, that keeps Hackett around for the rest of the year. 

Given that we’re married to Russ for a few more years, the next coach has to have a plan in place to work around him. That should the top of the list of qualifications - how do you work around a decrepit, me-first, “celebrity” QB. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I disagree. Kubiak led this team to 16 points, just like Hackett has plenty of times. Besides the first drive of the game, this game looked mostly similar to all our other games production wise. Take into context that this was against the Raiders (1st game vs them was our best game of the year offensively). There were some things I liked that we did (more under center) but by no means was he a clear upgrade over what we've been doing. Especially given the lack of adjustments as the game went on. 

I'm not saying I would stop him from calling plays next game, but to chastise Hackett for saying they're going to assess the effectiveness I disagree with. Regardless though, who cares... We're debating being the worst offense vs the 30th worst offense in the league. 

A huge diff in yesterday though was lack of execution vs. outright bad design / play sequencing.   Hinton drops a likely TD.   Sutton drops a sure RZ first down on the 2nd drive.  And so on.   We’ve seen it before but the plays were there.    Still doesn’t excuse the result.  

But you’re right it’s somewhat moot.  It was against a brutal D.    And I’m still p*ssed every time I reference the game.   Usually by today it’s faded and it’s on to next week.   Having Hackett remain as HC is probably affecting my objectivity now.  

At this pace I might need to change my nick to an AnAngryCanadian.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3