Week 11 GDT - Bears vs Dirty Birds

Sugashane

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We haven’t, but they’re a staple of what gets run in GB so for Getsy to not use it at all has been really surprising to me. 

Especially with us trading for Claypool. I figured he and Kmet would be getting the shorter targets in the middle of the field. 

16 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Especially with us trading for Claypool. I figured he and Kmet would be getting the shorter targets in the middle of the field. 

The way I see it is Fields rarely gets a drop back where he doesn't have pressure in his face and slants are typically quick timing throws 

Most of the time Getsy needs to have the pocket moving and Fields mobile in order to open things up in the passing game so that kind of takes away the slant game 

Once they get better OL and protection up front then hopefully we'll start to see more of these simple but effective plays 

The OL they put out for this game was criminal.

The number of runs they called for Justin was criminal, especially in fourth.   Especially after he was hurting.  

Getsy was a moron today.  A moron.  I couldn’t believe what I was watching.  

Bears could get open against these guys.  

• Like 4

So, that was not what I was hoping to see. JF was compromised with the play calling and lack of protection. That being said, you had to think that a game like this was coming. It happens to every team every year (it seems to happen to us more often but I digress). At this point I want us to make it to the end of the season without a major injury to JF. The OL just isn't consistent enough to open the passing game. We continue to see flashes of Fields' development and that is what is important.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

So, that was not what I was hoping to see. JF was compromised with the play calling and lack of protection. That being said, you had to think that a game like this was coming. It happens to every team every year (it seems to happen to us more often but I digress). At this point I want us to make it to the end of the season without a major injury to JF. The OL just isn't consistent enough to open the passing game. We continue to see flashes of Fields' development and that is what is important.

Yeah, the offense as scheduled for the last month was thrilling, but certainly a lot like keeping lots of spinning plates in the air.  It was designed to cover for the deadly combination of no consistent protection and no open receivers. Very very hard to sustain success and make points, especially when Fields was sore and slowed down coming in to the game. Problem is that the available personell meant it was not going to be an easy pivot to a game that would protect Fields;  who do you make quick open throws to when guys aren't getting open and there's a DLman in Fields lap on every play?

I was begging for us to stop running Justin Fields at precisely 1:18pm CST yesterday.

Right before the start of the 3rd Quarter I said "I have a bad feeling".

I hope the shoulder isn't serious and, honestly, he should sit out against the Jets. I'd even say have him sit out against the Packers so he can go into the bye week clean. Use that time to figure out what they can get Justin to put on tape so he can evaluate and improve in the off-season.

Then have the kid come back after the bye "healthyish" and finish out the last 4 games of the season.

Put me in the sit Fields until after the bye or he is 100% camp.  But no one on Bears has ever listened to me so it won't happen.  He will be out there until he gets an ACL or breaks his collar bone.   

I think one and only time I have ever been truly happy with Bears front office since 1985 was the 2021 NFL draft.   I couldn't agree more with first 3 picks and trades of draft.   I can't believe Pace had his best draft on his way out.   But they immediately ruined it for me when they announced Dalton as QB1.  It was a nice few days though.

Also I don't understand all the Claypool bashing going on.   He isn't not calling plays for himself.  He didn't trade a 2nd rounder for himself.

Someone has to call a pass play and someone has to throw him the football.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The OL they put out for this game was criminal.

The number of runs they called for Justin was criminal, especially in fourth.   Especially after he was hurting.  

Getsy was a moron today.  A moron.  I couldn’t believe what I was watching.  

Bears could get open against these guys.  

Yep, that's why I wasn't buying into this rubbish of him getting poached for a head coaching gig after one sodding season.  Luke stills got a long way to go as an OC before he's head coach material.

• Like 2

Here is the thing.  

I know some of you hate it when I mention coaching, because I only coached middle school.  Maybe the guy who hated it is gone now I think.

But when you are calling plays you have to be constantly conscious of state of your players.   If your QB, WR or RB is dead tired and cramping, you need to either sub them (in case of non-QBs) and/or call plays for them to rest.   Plays that don't expend energy.   Use a timeout if you have to.   It can be worth it to spend timeouts to get key players rest they need so you aren't killing drives.   I wish more coaches understood that point because they act like it is sacrilegious to ever use a timeout for any reason except at end of a game.   If it gets you points or saves a drive at any point it is worth it to me.   But whatever you do, you don't beat and run them into the ground or injury.  

At pro level you have a whole gaggle of assistant guys to help you with this.   But it is common sense.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I was begging for us to stop running Justin Fields at precisely 1:18pm CST yesterday.

He had 14 carries at halftime. That’s ridiculous. They went from using his ability to run inexplicably infrequently to using it as a crutch. Gotta find the middle, Getsy. 

• Like 3