Zach Wilson

biggie.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I don't think we can hold it against Wilson for being a "projection" but not Lance.  Lance started one season at NDSU, which isn't on a different level than BYU when it comes to competition.  He was just as much, if not more, of a projection than Wilson.  Especially considering the last time we saw him before the draft, he looked dreadful on the field.  And that was his only game of 2020. 

However if you feel like Wilson was at best the 4th prospect, fair enough (although Mac Jones was the last QB taken among the 5 and still went top 15, so no way Wilson would have ever dropped to the bottom of the 1st).  Everyone sees players differently.  However the consensus among most people at the time was Wilson was #2 or at worst #3.  Almost every site I go back and read has him 2/3.  Even casually going through the 2021 QB thread on this site, you will find most people had him 2 or 3.  

Yeah because they all collude info from NFL sources. But again, I’m not saying he wasn’t considered “top 3” I’m saying he shouldn’t have been, but was propped up for his “potential” the same as was the case for Mitch Trubisky above Deshaun Watson.

Personally I wouldn’t have drafted Mac Jones in until the 2nd at earliest. I’m willing to gamble a little on physical traits, hence why I’d have gone Wilson late, but Jones was never anything special IMO and was propped up by all the Alabama talent. Which is to say he could be a good system QB but not a true difference maker.

Lance, was indeed a “potential” selection, but he had near elite athleticism for a QB prospect along with the other great traits. Plus he was younger when he had his breakout season 

He was also 19 when he broke out vs 21 like Wilson. I’d have been more intrigued over the potential to develop Lance from that perspective.

Granted even then, I’d have only selected him if I felt I had the infrastructure in place. So SF made sense, but I’d go Fields for most other franchises as he’s shown he can handle being “the guy” to lead a nationally recognized program since HS.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

Ftfy

NY is one of those markets where you have to be aloof and unflappable because the fans will boo you after one game. Eli got booed, Judge got booed, even Jeter got booed but they all stayed true to themselves and weren't afraid to throw derpy left handed picks, strikeout a ton, or play terrible defense. Wilson is clearly rattled by the fans rn.

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

NY is one of those markets where you have to be aloof and unflappable because the fans will boo you after one game. Eli got booed, Judge got booed, even Jeter got booed but they all stayed true to themselves and weren't afraid to throw derpy left handed picks, strikeout a ton, or play terrible defense. Wilson is clearly rattled by the fans rn.

I really don’t think Zach Wilson would have done any better playing in a market like Jax. He’s just bad.

• Like 1

Just so the rest of you don't have to look this up, Wilson has actually been "better" in his career at home than on the road. 10 point QB rating difference, more than 1 YPA better, TD:INT ratio of 1 at home which for him is incredible, and he takes way fewer sacks as well.

In his career on the road, he's basically Josh Rosen. 4-7 TD/INT in 11 games

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

There's a flip side to this. Eli got booed early when he wasn't established and then again when the first Super Bowl wore off. But after the second he became a king out there and they literally revolted at the idea of replacing him even when he was very bad because of how much of an establishment he became.

42 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

He’s regressed from where he was last season and what made him #2 pick

Did he really show much from last season? I think it was debatable, but he was the worst rookie QB last season, too.